New shelter/ sleep system

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ok guys and girls,
This is what I'm thinking for next years system.
Thermarest NeoairXtherm pad at 15oz
Nunatuk Arc Ghost quilt at 15 oz
Ti Goat ptarmigan bivy at 6 oz
MLD patrol shelter tarp at 6.8 oz

This whole system would weigh 2.67 lbs!
I would use this system for all my backpacking, from scouting to late season hunting. What do you think?

awesome system, my only suggestion would be to consider the neo-air x-lite insrtead you would shave a few ounces and still have a very good r-value. i used this pad in conjunction with a stoic somnus 30 degree down bag and a ti-goat omni-raven bivy for 27 nights this archery archery season in a eastern oregon wilderness. Low temps dipped into the high teens. The neo air worked great, I always keep a sea to summit reactor plus at the foot of my bag if needed, i think i only had to pull up three nights. The neo air is the most comfortable mattress i have ever owned including my exped synmat-7 and BA insulated air core. Love the Neo air X -lite. My system as noted is ti-goat omni raven bivy, stoic somnus bag, neo air x-lite, sea to summit reactor, integral designs sil nylon tarp total weight is 3 pounds 6 onces.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Gobbler, I was thinking with the quilt I would need the extra warmth under me. Not sure though?

fillthefreezer, I use a 15* down bag right now and I have never zipped it because I'm always so warm. My brother uses a 40* down bag all year and sleeps in his clothes if he gets cold. I also plan to get a down coat for next year so I could use that if I got cold.

phil

FNG
Justin; I have the same setup except I am using the Nanatuk Arc A.T. with 950 over fill at 9oz. and a TiGoat v5. at 24oz. phil

I get to much condensation build. up with my T I Goat bivy I can dry my bag off ir its warm and dry during the day but than again if its warm and dry I don't need a bivy
Tim

slim9300

WKR
I get to much condensation build. up with my T I Goat bivy I can dry my bag off ir its warm and dry during the day but than again if its warm and dry I don't need a bivy
Tim

That's odd. Mine breathes really well. My down bag stays WAY dryer in the bivy then outside of it.

I have both the parmigan and the omni raven bivy. The bigger pads like a Neo air or big Agnes's will fit in the parmigan. The omni raven however is a lot bigger cut and way more roomy.

I see alot of talk about Ti-goat bivys, but I never see anyone talk about the mld lightweight bivy. Why? I plan on going from tent to tarp & bivy for next year, so Im very interested in what yall r sayin. What about snow loading tarps like the patrol or paratarp? Also, when set up, how would you compare the size of protection & useable space of the patrol & paratarp?

I'll let you know how i like the paratarp. Mine should arrive any day. I switched from a tent to a bivy-tarp setup about 4 years ago and have never been more satisified. Not only for the weight savings, but the tarp setup gives you so much room to move around, cook and lounge in rough weather. I have used this setup in the spring in Hells Canyon for the past 4 seasons. For me the nicest benefit is when your pinned down by a severe rain or snow storm, its so nice to lay or sit up in your warm bivy sack and be able to look around. I spent 3 days pinned down in Hells Canyon on a spring bear hunt years ago and it sucked laying there just looking at the tent walls while my buddies in their bivy-tarp setups were able to glass hill sides now and then.

I'll let you know how i like the paratarp. Mine should arrive any day. I switched from a tent to a bivy-tarp setup about 4 years ago and have never been more satisified. Not only for the weight savings, but the tarp setup gives you so much room to move around, cook and lounge in rough weather. I have used this setup in the spring in Hells Canyon for the past 4 seasons. For me the nicest benefit is when your pinned down by a severe rain or snow storm, its so nice to lay or sit up in your warm bivy sack and be able to look around. I spent 3 days pinned down in Hells Canyon on a spring bear hunt years ago and it sucked laying there just looking at the tent walls while my buddies in their bivy-tarp setups were able to glass hill sides now and then.
Grateful for the responce, looking forward to hearing from u if u go out again with the paratarp this season. Im still not sure which one I want, paratarp or mld solomid Chime in everyone & let me know what u think.

Lawnboi

WKR
i have used the paratarp for this year and will not be giving it up. Such a versatile piece. Seal it up with the annex and stove and you have a shelter that will get you through alot. When its warm i can use it like a tarp, or with one side open, pitched off the ground, or however i want. For that reason ill keep using it.

The versatility of the paratarp is the reason i got it, i like to set it up however i like, and however the conditions dictate i should. If you are a bigger guy i would highly reccomend the super tarp at a few ounces more. You will have alot more room. For me though at 5'6 the para is perfect.

The kifaru tarps, with the pull outs on the side give you alot of usable room, even when buttoned up close to the ground. Add a stove and you will be in your t shirt.

i have used the paratarp for this year and will not be giving it up. Such a versatile piece. Seal it up with the annex and stove and you have a shelter that will get you through alot. When its warm i can use it like a tarp, or with one side open, pitched off the ground, or however i want. For that reason ill keep using it.

The versatility of the paratarp is the reason i got it, i like to set it up however i like, and however the conditions dictate i should. If you are a bigger guy i would highly reccomend the super tarp at a few ounces more. You will have alot more room. For me though at 5'6 the para is perfect.

The kifaru tarps, with the pull outs on the side give you alot of usable room, even when buttoned up close to the ground. Add a stove and you will be in your t shirt.
So the paratarp does have the pullouts. I never seeum on the kifaru site. Im 5-11 & Im used to sittin out storms in a tarptent moment, wich is a fine little tent but there are lighter & more versitile options. Im leanin towards the paratarp. Anybody have any experience with the mountain laurel designs lightweight bivy?

The Xtherm pad sleeps noticeably warmer than the other Thermarest pads (i.e. ultralight pads). Great gear.

I am considering a Supertarp w/annex for next year. Would use it on scouting trips and early season hunts. Prefer to be in something slightly larger when snow is a sure thing.