New shotgun

gabenzeke

WKR
So I'm looking at getting a new shotgun. I know I'd like a semi auto. Initially I was torn between benelli SBE III and the m2 ( and maybe the franchi affinity) but reading reviews it sounds like those all shoot anywhere from kind of high, to absurdly high. I suppose I could get used to that, except it seems that it would be a huge issue when turkey hunting. The other option I'm considering is the browning a5. I've always liked that humpback look and the way it points, but that gun gets some negative feedback for freezing up. It seems like it suffers in cold weather even more than other inertia guns. So, has benelli/franchi done anything about shooting high? Or is the freezing issue with the a5 not as big a deal if you use specific lubricants? Mostly would be hunting waterfowl, upland birds, and turkeys. What should I do?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The SBE3’s that shot high were 2017 models. They’ve remedied that since then. The A5 being sluggish in freezing temps is 100% a lubricant issue and falls back to the guy using it not knowing what lubricants to use in freezing temps. I’ve owned both of these. The A5 definitely fit me better and was just as reliable with various loads as the Benelli was. You really can’t go wrong with either. I’d also throw the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus in the mix as well. It’s just as reliable as the other two and a lot softer shooting than either of the previously mentioned guns. It’s really a great time for the shotgun market as there are several models in that price range and they are all very solid guns. Go shoulder any of the “B” guns and pick the one that fits you best. Myself I keep going back to my old original Auto 5’s because they’re built better and they fit me like a glove since I’ve been shooting them for over 30yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taprack9

FNG
I have an older Franchi affinity that shoots high. I use it for ducks and that’s about it.

Its the euro style rib, I think the manual says 60/40 on poi but mine was 70/30. I changed out the shims and installed a shorter recoil pad. It’s 60/40 now.

I’ll second @Luvbowhuntn that A400 is a nice gun and a real soft shooter. My friend has one that gets a lot of field use. Very nice gun.

My Franchi is def not a soft shooter. It’s not terrible but they’re not comparable to a gas gun that’s for sure.

I know some people will disagree but if you do get an inertia gun run it with little to no lube. I’ve had to pull mine apart during hunts in the rain and wipe off any lube on the action bar, recoil spring and mag tube. I’ve been running it with zero lube for the last couple years. No issues at all. I keep it clean but dry.

TN2shot07

WKR
I had an A5 that I just couldn’t get used to shooting, high no matter what I did. I will say there were no functioning issues with the A5 and man it sure was a nice looking gun. Bought an M2 and so far, so good. I did opt for a 20 gauge this time which has also been super nice to carry. When I was shopping this time it came down to an SX4 or the Benelli and I found a better deal on it.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Probably a lubricant issue on the A5, at least compared to my experiences. Are you going to mount an optic or even sights to the rib for turkey? I know many do and if so you can probably arrange POA and POI to your satisfaction. I like the way the A5, Franchi and Vinci feel better than the SBE personally M2 and Affinity feel almost the same to me so price makes the Franchi shine.

Sandstrom

WKR
I am a huge fan of my Benelli Ultra Light. Shoots great, carries great, and has been 100% reliable for me when other guys in the field have had trouble with their gas operated “B” guns. My wife loved it enough that I was forced to get a second one:)
Ryan

hodgeman

WKR
It really depends on what you're doing with it. You mention waterfowl, upload and turkeys. If it's mostly upland, get an M2 since a 3.5" shell isn't very helpful. If it's mostly waterfowl, get a SBE3...especially if you hunt geese or cranes. I think either would work fine for turkey hunting.

the 60/40 pattern will irritate you on ducks more than upland since birds descending in the pattern are tougher to hit than flushing birds rising through the pattern.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I can deal with a 60/40 pattern. I was actually surprised by the SBE III. it feels lighter than the m2, and I figured I'd like the m2 more. The franchi is pretty light as well, but man that stock feels cheap.

hodgeman

WKR
I can deal with a 60/40 pattern. I was actually surprised by the SBE III. it feels lighter than the m2, and I figured I'd like the m2 more. The franchi is pretty light as well, but man that stock feels cheap.
I've had an M2 for about 15 years, and it amazes me at the abuse the gun will take. Getting an SBE3 is pretty high on my wish list, since I hunt waterfowl quite a lot.

Sandstrom

WKR
Just out of curiosity, how big of a difference will the 3.5 in steel shot make? I have shot a fair number of ducks and geese with with 3 inchers and thought they worked pretty good, at least for steel:)

ETtikka

WKR
If you want a benelli and a flat rib, and as a bonus it’s cheaper, the montefeltro comes in camo, seen a few on gunbroker for <1000$ lately

Spoonbill

WKR
Just out of curiosity, how big of a difference will the 3.5 in steel shot make? I have shot a fair number of ducks and geese with with 3 inchers and thought they worked pretty good, at least for steel:)
It probably makes less of a difference in the air than it does in peoples minds. That said i shoot 3.5 inch shells, mainly because i scored a couple cases for 12 bucks a box.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I don't know. I shot 3.5s for years at divers and geese. But I really think it was mostly mental. But I suppose there's something to be said for confidence. Now I think a 3 is plenty.

Out of a lightweight gun it will lower your hit percentage. If you can't hit them with 3's 3.5 won't fix it, and recoil in a 7# gun can be impressive.

I do shoot 3.5's but it's in a heavy 10 ga. You can get heavy payload with steel in 3.5, but it's not needed til you get large shot. The bigger bore of the 10 will out pattern the 12.

Depends on what you are doing, with geese their might be a slight advantage to a 3.5 because of payload. It takes about 1 3/8 ounce of BB's to get 100 pellets. A 70% pattern would give you 70 hits which is about right for geese. Again tho, not many can shoot nearly as well with the pounding they will take from the 3.5's. 3" number 1's are probably all you need for geese unless trying to pass shoot past 40 yards. Been doing most of my goose shooting with a 20 gauge anymore.

hodgeman

WKR
If you're shooting ducks, not a lot. Geese is marginally better. Cranes are significant tougher. I've got a Stoeger P3500 and shooting 3.5" Hevi-X tungsten loads is impressive on birds. It folds up anything flying to 50 yards with authority.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Out of a lightweight gun it will lower your hit percentage. If you can't hit them with 3's 3.5 won't fix it, and recoil in a 7# gun can be impressive.

I do shoot 3.5's but it's in a heavy 10 ga. You can get heavy payload with steel in 3.5, but it's not needed til you get large shot. The bigger bore of the 10 will out pattern the 12.

Depends on what you are doing, with geese their might be a slight advantage to a 3.5 because of payload. It takes about 1 3/8 ounce of BB's to get 100 pellets. A 70% pattern would give you 70 hits which is about right for geese. Again tho, not many can shoot nearly as well with the pounding they will take from the 3.5's. 3" number 1's are probably all you need for geese unless trying to pass shoot past 40 yards. Been doing most of my goose shooting with a 20 gauge anymore.
How far do you think you can shoot ducks and geese with a 20? What loads are you using?

How far do you think you can shoot ducks and geese with a 20? What loads are you using?

With factory loads the 20 is mostly a 35 yard and in gun I figure, further with ducks. Maximum shot size is generally #2's. 2's can kill ducks well beyond 35 yards if you have the pattern, and can put it where you need to. I aim for the cheek patch with geese, and most of those are shot field hunting over decoys where a long shot is 35. I do load HW-13, HW-15, and TSS, your range with that is mostly only limited by what you can hit. I use it in 28 gauge and still try to hold my shots in pretty close, just realized that it's more pleasant shooting a lightweight, light recoiling gun.

Right now factory loads are hard to come by in 20. I liked Kent, Remington was pretty good as well as Federal. For geese my factory load was the Kent fasteel or whatever they called it in 3" #2, I think 1500 fps.

45yds and in my 20 kills just fine. I don’t care anything about shooting any farther than that because if I can’t work the birds I haven’t beat em. I strictly use a 20ga now shooting Boss 3” #5’s and I’ll shoot side by side with my buddies using 12’s all day long and never feel hindered in the least. If they can kill it I can too. I’ve also used a lot of Rio 3” #4 steel in my 20 before I went to Boss shells. They worked great on decoying birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Not gonna lie, that benelli m2 performance shop in 20 gauge was what prompted me to look at benellis. Now I'm tempted to look at it even harder....

At this point I wouldn't feel hindered by a 20 gauge. The factory turkey loads that are available are pretty good, it's definitely adequate for anything upland. Ducks are easily in it's wheelhouse, geese are fine as long as they are decoying.

As stated by @Luvbowhuntn it's not about seeing how far you can shoot waterfowl, it's how close you can get them.