New sleep system advice

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm upgrading my sleep system this year and after a few hours of studying the forums I've narrowed it down to a Viam 0* quilt. The part I'm stuck on is what pad to pull the trigger on. I'm a side sleeper and move around a lot. I'm not super worried about weight because my goats will be doing most of the work in that department still want to keep it light enough if needed I can throw it in my pack for a trip with out the goats. Im 5'10 160 and sleep pretty cold hence the choice to go 0* on the quilt. So far I've looked at The exped ul7 and Klymit but still not sold on either open to suggestions from those who have found a pad they are in love with. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of the NeoAir XTherm in the Large size (not MAX). For your size that would give you plenty of room to move around and the R-value of 5.7 will keep you warm. It also come in at only 20 ounces or so.

The downside is that some people find them noisy. I don't, but it's a personal preference thing.

I'm very close to your size and also side sleeper. I bought the Klymit insulated static v and for me, it is just OK. I'm going to look at getting something a little thicker/loftier as I feel the ground a little too much. The insulation factor has been fine but I've only had around 20 degrees. I also don't inflate as it'd be too hard for sleeping. If you like a hard matress, it might be fine.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I had (still have) a Klymit and I don't recommend them. I don't like the baffles, it feels very lumpy and more importantly last year, while deflating it I pulled the whole valve out. It would not hold air after I put it back in for more than a few hours, I slept the last 3 nights of my elk hunt on the ground. When I called customer service they told me to super glue it back in.

I have since bought a Nemo Tensor insulated pad that I really like. It was on sale at steep and cheap I think.

mlob1one

WKR
Huge fan of Exped. I would suggest that you look at the wide since you're a side sleeper and maybe the UL9 if you're going with a zero degree quilt.

Good luck on the search.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks for the heads up on the klymit I will look into the Exped for sure. I have a uninsulated big Agnes air core and have had no issues with it other then I wish I would have bought a wide. I'm in no rush so Look forward to hearing from anyone else with positive or negative experience with pads. I've looked at the xtherm and love everything about it but the noise is a deal breaker for me.

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm down to the exped Synmat UL 9 (m) for $110 on backcountry.com or the big Agnes q core slx (regular wide) for $210. I want a wide pad but is it worth another $100? Anybody know where to find them cheaper? Ha

I have the ul 9 wide and really like it.arms don't fall off the sides!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ul 9 wide and really like it.arms don't fall off the sides!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yeah I think a wide pad is the ticket. I haven't been able to find a wide they seem to be sold out everywhere I've looked. Any suggestions

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
I found a exped synmat ul 9 LW on camp saver and after all the discounts it was $140 so I pulled the trigger. Excited to try it out.

mlob1one

WKR
I found a exped synmat ul 9 LW on camp saver and after all the discounts it was $140 so I pulled the trigger. Excited to try it out.

I have and love that pad. You will not be disappointed. I also have the ul7 LW for warmer nights.
I also strongly recommend the exped schnozzle pump bag. Makes an incredible bag a complete dream because you save your lungs.
Great choice!

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have and love that pad. You will not be disappointed. I also have the ul7 LW for warmer nights.
I also strongly recommend the exped schnozzle pump bag. Makes an incredible bag a complete dream because you save your lungs.
Great choice!

Glad to hear. I'm excited to get it and put it to use this spring. Next purchase is a schnozzle for sure. I'm not a fan of being light headed haha

mlob1one

WKR
Glad to hear. I'm excited to get it and put it to use this spring. Next purchase is a schnozzle for sure. I'm not a fan of being light headed haha

It is easily in my top 5 for grateful gear items! Especially at altitude. I think it'll be in your top five as well.

Dallas

FNG
Just bought the Big Agnes Q core slx. I was able to try it, neoair, and exped out at the store. To me the Q core was more comfortable, quieter, thicker, the air in and out valves are awesome, and still only 16 oz.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from the SL to the SLX recently. Went with the long/wide version. Can't put a price on a good night's sleep. In fact, it's pretty hard to hunt hard day after day if you never get good rest...

6'2" 235 lbs and I have the Exped UL7. I am also a side sleeper and I don't touch the ground at all when I'm on that thing. It is really the best purchase I've made. After 3 days in the backcountry my hips would be killing me, upgraded the pad and I'm more energized. Biggest problem now is trying to get my hunting buddies out of camp on time!