New sleeping bag kifaru/marmot helium, flip a coin?

Ok so I have narrowed my bag choice down to a marmot helium or kifaru 20 deg slick bag. I can get them within 50$ of each other so price aside. Now it becomes a down vs synthetic thing I guess. I will be using a tarptent rainshadow 2 and hunting high hunt in washington mid-late sept. I know its wet up here but I have been talking to alot of hikers/hunters and they dont seem to have trouble keeping thier bags dry, go figure. I do like the multicam the kifaru offers and its .5oz lighter (meaningless difference I imagine) but besides that I cant really think of one over the other. I'm guessing I cant make a wrong choice between the two but is one better than the other? Thinking of just fliping a coin. Also My brother is going to come with me but doesnt have any gear so Im thinking about picking him up a marmot sawtooth and that will be my backup bag.

Last edited:

JSonn

FNG
I just recieved my Slick Bag 20 degree in Multicam- worth the wait, worth every penny. Absolutely the best bag I have ever used/owned.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer down bags. I only take them out and put them in the stuff sack in the shelter, and haven't had any trouble keeping them dry. YMMV.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I've only used the Marmot Helium so I can't comment on the others. So far here in the very soggy Washington Cascades, I have never had any issues with it (down getting wet).

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a Marmot Helium Membrane. It has been veeery damp and never had a problem on the inside. Never used a Kifaru bag, but I am sure they are top shelf. I would get the Membrane or the Kifaru in a very wet area.

Ryan

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Marmot Helium and really like it. It's true to the temperature rating for me. But if you are going to pick up a Marmot Sawtooth as back up bag and for your brother, I would probably go with the kifaru bag. I think the sawtooth and helium have the same temp rating, the sawtooth just has a lower fill rating.

OP
pyroducksx3
I use a Marmot Helium and really like it. It's true to the temperature rating for me. But if you are going to pick up a Marmot Sawtooth as back up bag and for your brother, I would probably go with the kifaru bag. I think the sawtooth and helium have the same temp rating, the sawtooth just has a lower fill rating.

Its heavier also buy 11 ounces but also much cheaper. I cant buy him all the best things ;)

I would go with the Kifaru. Have found them true to temp rating, typical Kifaru quality, and the synthetic insulation gives me a little peace of mind should something weird happen. Full disclosure, I have never had a problem keeping any down bags dry.

I have both down and synthetic. The slick bag is pretty slick. Because of the weight (by that I mean most synthetic bags are very heavy) and the chance of it getting wet. After using the slick bag it compacts to smaller than my down and is lighter. I seem to use the Kifaru bag more often than my nice down

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a marmot lithium, the 0 degree version of the helium. And I'm looking at getting rid of it for a kifaru 20 degree slick. Just my 2 cents.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've owned just about all of them and you can find pros and cons from each.

The #1 thing to look at with the Slick bag is the fact that it can take a hell of a beating. I actually get inside mine on cold mornings when I'm behind the spotting scope. I would not do this with my Marmot or Western Mountaineering down bags.

If taken care of, the down bags will last longer, but if you get them wet, that won't be the case.

The compressibility of the Slick vs Down is a non issue since they are about equal in that category.

This sounds stupid, but I love the fact that they come in Muitcam as well!

OP
pyroducksx3
Ok well it sounds like a kifaru 20 deg slick bag long in multicam will be ordered with a t2, still figuring out accessories for the t2 tough.

I know that you can't go wrong with either one!!! I have used synthetic bags since 1999 and although USUALLY heavier in weight they seem to compress into a smaller stuff sack. I would LOVE to get a down bag. I haven't ever had issues getting my bags wet so that wouldn't be anything to weigh on my mind. Either bag will be great for you and I don't think that you would regret either one.