New sleeping bag....which one?

dotman

WKR
I think I might just give Aron a call and cruise over there to check one out. I guess my only issue with the Slick is the insulation fill material "climashield" is the same stuff in my North Face bag and that thing sucked! My nuts were the size of raisins in that thing at 34*. By far the worst bag I've ever owned. I think the materials used in the Slick are superior but the fill is my one and only real question on it I guess.

I believe that Kifaru uses a military spec which is different then what most companies like NF use but check with Aron, I could be wrong.

The cats weow is a good bag. So first thing I would ask is what are you using for a pad. If the r-value is low you're losing all your heat out the bottom. I have the kifaru 20 degree slick bag and use it with a Neo air x-lite and find it pretty true to temp rating.

Whisky

WKR
No mention of Big Agnes?

I have a Mystic SL 15 bag and so far I really like it.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Gobbler- I use a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore 4 R value. I have own a lot of sleeping bags but the cat's meow just wasn't for me. Being in the military and in the civilian world I have spent a ton of time in sleeping bags but this bag I just didn't think I was true to temp at all.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
No mention of Big Agnes?

I have a Mystic SL 15 bag and so far I really like it.

Whisky,

I also have, and like, this bag. It has been true to temp for me, but it seems bigger guys (I am 5-9 175) don't seem to get along with it as well.

The Kifaru bags look about as good as any synthetic I have seen.

I have an older (10 to 15 years?) Kelty 0 degree down bag that is still going strong and is outstandingly warm.

Kelty also has DWR treated down bags now that are quite a bit cheaper than others on the market. I would like to try one.

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i'm 6' 1" and 185 pounds. i have the big agnes zirkel sl long 20 degree bag and i really like it. i spent the last two nights in it. night one was 23 degrees and night two was 16 degrees and even less with wind chill. i use the big agnes insulated air core pad and slept with merino base layers. i stayed comfortable all night. i didn't want to get out of my bag in the morning!

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
hey bitterroot. I was looking at this bag earlier and its the same "dridown" as above. http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-519-dridown-zissou-15.aspx
never had any bags from Sierra Design but the specs look pretty nice for a 15*. I know you have used a ton of gear so any use from Sierra Designs stuff? Its in the top 5 Backpackers Gear Bag for 2012 and also Outsiders 2012 reviews.

Best feature?
I can get this thru military for 159!! Hmm Might have found a winner. I wanted to get down to around 2lbs tho but I guess if this works and I can save a ton a few extra ounces may work.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, looks really similar to the Kelty bag. All specs are similar.

I have used some SD gear, mostly outerwear. SD always seems to be good, practical gear for a decent price, but fit, finish, and durability are a notch below the top name gear. I can't say if this bag fits that generalization, as I haven't used it. I am usually leary of "Gear of the Year" recommendations from major magazines, but the bag you linked looks like it might be worth the gamble.

Keep us posted if you try it out!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
ftf makes a good point, if minimum weight is a top priority, you might as well spend the big money now.

While I appreciate a lighter load, I freely admit I am not an obsessive ounce-counter. I will happily carry a few extra ounces if the other performance areas are met, with comfort and warmth being priorities in a sleeping bag for me. 2 lbs. 12 ounces isn't too bad for a EN16 IMO, especially at under $200. However, I would have to actually weigh the bag to see if it comes out at the target spec weight.

Whisky

WKR
Whisky,

I also have, and like, this bag. It has been true to temp for me, but it seems bigger guys (I am 5-9 175) don't seem to get along with it as well.

Interesting....Why is that?

I'm a bigger guy, well, rounder guy:D, only about 5-10 in height. That is one of the reasons i looked into the Mystic. Believe they advertise it as a hybrid between a rectangle bag and a mummy ??? I got some broad shoulders, and I can go from my back to stomach while zipped into the bag pretty easily. I toss and turn a lot, unfortunately.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just observed that most negative things I hear about the bag came from bigger guys. Honestly, it surprised me that people didn't like it. I have found mine really comfortable, warm, and light (although it is about 2 ounces heavier than advertised). It is a mummy, but it seems to have more torso room than most. I am also a tosser/turner, and like that I don't get twisted up in it. My feet stay warm in the mummy footbox too.

I like the bag a lot, and am perfectly happy using it for the forseable future. However, if I don't try out others, what will I write about for Rokslide? :)

Great Thread.. My list of bags under consideration is all metioned here. I'm seriously considering the Slick Bag, but cant decide between a 20 degree and 0 degree.. My use will primarily be Backcountry, during September Archery.. It seems like a 20 degree would do it, but this is one category of gear where specs are so subjective.. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think 20 degrees is plenty. Inside a bivy or tent and on a decent pad 20 shouldn't be an issue. You can always layer your clothing also as the bag is spacious.

I have the Marmot Plasma - 15 on the list.

1 lb. 14 oz. Other than the price being a bit high, I like it and it is true on the temp rating. I kind of worry about the durability of the bag a bit. The lightweight material just seems pretty delicate to me although it's holding up well so far two years now on the bag.

I'm looking at finally doing a cariboo/moose hunt up in Alaska this coming late August/early September. I know the weather can be pretty unpredictable and was looking at a 0 degree slick bag over the +20 as we will be close to nowhere. For those of you with experience in Alaska especially up around the Dalton Hwy will I be fine with the +20 or should I trust my gut and go with a 0 degree bag?

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I did some article training with the military up there and without a doubt g with the zero bag! Better to have and not need then need and not have. Conditions changes to much up there to mess around with a 20 bag