New Spotter ????

I am gonna be getting a spotter this summer. Looking at a Vortex Razor, the only thing I am not liking about it is the weight. I noticed the swaro 80mm is about a pound less. What are your thoughts, is it worth the extra coin to save a pound? I live in eastern South Dakota the weight packing it around home on day hunts is not a big deal and now I only go on one backcountry trip a year. I want to go with an 80mm for glassing here at last night. It's not really in the budget for 2.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have posted about this a few times already, but I was in your shoes a while back, and ended up with the Razor. The substantial monetary savings without an optical compromise made up my mind. I still wouldn't pass up a great deal on the Swaro (like closer to the Razor's price tag), though, as it is a high-performing, slender, and light spotter.

Hard to pass up this value right now:

www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/zeiss/zeiss-20-75x85-angled-spotting-scope

OP
Jake Leibke
Bitterroot- that is a good deal. Thanks. I can get a new vortex razor for about $1300 though. Not sure what to do?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bitterroot- that is a good deal. Thanks. I can get a new vortex razor for about $1300 though. Not sure what to do?

Tough choice. Both are excellent values. My Razor is a remarkable scope, and I have never regretted that purchase. However, the Zeiss goes just as low and wide (20x), and shoots all the way up to 75x, so that could be usefull. The Zeiss is even bigger and heavier than the Razor. It is likely that the 75x setting won't be usefull all the time (really low light, high atmospheric disturbance), but it would be nice to have, when conditions permit. The Zeiss I have seen had an excellent image right up to the max, in good light and clear air. Whether the extra dough is worth it to you, I can't answer.

B

bearguide

i used the 65 zeiss next to a 65 leica // the leica had the edge

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Zeiss 15-56-65. Great scope, but I wear glasses and between 25-35 zoom it is very hard to get a full sight picture without re adjusting eye position and cramming my glasses down to the eyepeice. Does anyone know if the 20-75-85 would be any better with the large objective??