New Springfield Waypoint Rifle.

22lr

WKR
Looks decent, but not really something im super interested in at the moment. There are just so many options out there im not sure id want to be first in line to try something new... that said,, I'd be way more interested if companies started chasing the Sig CROSS and giving them some competition.

OP
C
I can agree on the waiting to see what happens with the Sig Cross and its competitors. I'm oddly interested in the .277 Fury chamber they did in the cross as well.

On the Springfield, I just wasn't expecting a new bolt gun from them so I figured I'd share with everyone on here.

Looks decent, but not really something im super interested in at the moment. There are just so many options out there im not sure id want to be first in line to try something new... that said,, I'd be way more interested if companies started chasing the Sig CROSS and giving them some competition.
My thoughts exactly! The Sig Cross seems to be the Blue Collar Man’s Gunwerks/Skunkwerks BlastR.

22lr

WKR
I can agree on the waiting to see what happens with the Sig Cross and its competitors. I'm oddly interested in the .277 Fury chamber they did in the cross as well.

On the Springfield, I just wasn't expecting a new bolt gun from them so I figured I'd share with everyone on here.

For sure, and no, don't get me wrong, always good to see more options.

archp625

WKR
For that price there are other companies that have been doing the bolt rifle game for awhile. Seems to me they need to be in the $1000 range for guys to jump on board and and ant to be in the carbon barrel game.

ID_Matt

WKR
For that price there are other companies that have been doing the bolt rifle game for awhile. Seems to me they need to be in the $1000 range for guys to jump on board and and ant to be in the carbon barrel game.

Besides the savage.. what other carbon barrel game are you talking about in the $1,000 range? And I don't know if I could put this gun in the same category as the savage because of the $600+ stock that the springfield comes with. Seems to me like it is priced pretty dang close to the competition and comes with a premium stock. My concern is how the action stacks up to others.

archp625

WKR
Besides the savage.. what other carbon barrel game are you talking about in the $1,000 range? And I don't know if I could put this gun in the same category as the savage because of the $600+ stock that the springfield comes with. Seems to me like it is priced pretty dang close to the competition and comes with a premium stock. My concern is how the action stacks up to others.
That’s the one that came to mind. For the price I dont see why anyone would go with this one over a more proven gun.

tdhanses

WKR
Think he’s talking their ss barrel option, seems to be competition for CA Ridgeline and Mesa. I do wonder about their carbon barrel, pretty big upcharge for it, about the price of a blank carbon proof, the carbon option is $300 overpriced based on the ss barrel option, $1699 vs $2275, only diff is the carbon barrel.

OP
C
Something else worth mentioning, they are using a BSF carbon barrel which is different than say a Proof. Especially in the way they are made.

I looked at using a BSF barrel on my 6.5 grendel AR for the lighter weight but I couldn't bite the bullet when I hadn't seen a whole lot of proven BSF barrels around to justify the extra money over a fluted barrel.

Instead of laminating the carbon around the barrel shank, they advertise that they use a carbon sleeve that is air gapped between the barrel and carbon. Supposedly according to their site its supposed to help the heat dissipate and not delaminate the carbon.

ID_Matt

WKR
Think he’s talking their ss barrel option, seems to be competition for CA Ridgeline and Mesa. I do wonder about their carbon barrel, pretty big upcharge for it, about the price of a blank carbon proof, the carbon option is $300 overpriced based on the ss barrel option, $1699 vs $2275, only diff is the carbon barrel.

Isn't the difference between a mesa and a ridgeline pretty substantial? Like $1200 vs $1900? I guess I am more comparing the carbon versions. Very similar priced to a ridgeline but comes with a little better stock and a box magazine.

tdhanses

WKR
Isn't the difference between a mesa and a ridgeline pretty substantial? Like $1200 vs $1900? I guess I am more comparing the carbon versions. Very similar priced to a ridgeline but comes with a little better stock and a box magazine.
You can get a Ridgeline for $1750 most days, but I think msrp to msrp the Mesa is more like $1499, could be wrong. My buddy bought a Mesa on sale recently for $1150. The Ridgeline MSRP is $1999. That box magazine looks to be plastic on the Springfield, makes me think it’s a magpul which isn’t expensive but isn’t bad either.

Personally I’d get a Savage Ultralight and upgrade the stock as needed, haven’t shoot one but didn’t seem too bad when I handled one.

khuber84

WKR
Something else worth mentioning, they are using a BSF carbon barrel which is different than say a Proof. Especially in the way they are made.

I looked at using a BSF barrel on my 6.5 grendel AR for the lighter weight but I couldn't bite the bullet when I hadn't seen a whole lot of proven BSF barrels around to justify the extra money over a fluted barrel.

Instead of laminating the carbon around the barrel shank, they advertise that they use a carbon sleeve that is air gapped between the barrel and carbon. Supposedly according to their site its supposed to help the heat dissipate and not delaminate the carbon.
Weatherby also uses BSF blanks on their carbon lines. They use Krieger on the high end steel line. I doubt weatherby would use poor/mediocre carbon barrels. In sure they tested several prior to choosing BSF. I don't have a bsf myself, but a friend has a carbon weatherby in 257wby and it shoots great.

macabra11

FNG
It's not entirely carbon fiber, but for $1,000 you can get into a Howa HS Precision, and those stocks are pretty damn nice. Also a wider range of caliber selection.

I really like a lot of the features of this Springfield, but think that they need to get down into that $1k range to really be competitive.

To me $1700 is a great price with a steel barrel if the barreled action is any good. Pass on the carbon.

A whole lot of folks build customs on m700 clones spec'd similarly for $3-4.5k. Here's an off the shelf version for half or less $.

I see this as being a seekins havak, christensen, and fierce competitor, not Savage/howa.

Barrel: BSF carbon sleeved barrel. I've never used a BSF and I'm curious to hear how they shoot from these rifles. I'd be more inclined to jump in blindly if they had gone with a Proof or Bartlein carbon wrapped barrel, even if the price went up.

Did anyone look to see what contour they are using on the SS versions?

Stock: This will be one of the few factory rifles with a stock that isn't total throw away garbage.

Trigger: decent choice going with Triggertech

Action: Just another R700 clone. Going with 6-48 base screws was stupid, but at least they added recoil pins. Integral recoil lug is good, side bolt release looks to be above stock line, nitriding bolt should be good, cerakoting action is 'meh'.

MSRP of adjustable comb & carbon barrel is $2399, so I'd guess that retail will be in the $1,950(ish) range. If the barrels aren't hit and miss, it might be a decent option for the sub $2,000 price point.

Agreed with all the above. I'd be interested to hear about barrel contour as well. Looks like Bartlein 3ish countour? That would line up pretty well based on published weights too.