New Stock

Benjblt

WKR
So I bought a Remington 700 XCR II in WSM about 5 years ago. I soon added a 510 Timney trigger to that. I couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn (about a 2-1/2" group). Then I added a Limbsaver Barrel De-Resinator. It cut my group down to less then an inch. I hate the way it looks. I also don't love the alternating magazine even though I haven't had trouble with it in the field. (It's doesn't feed fat short mag cartridges super smoothly as they are not aligned with the chamber) I've tried to sell the gun but I don't think I'll get much money out of it and have had no luck so far. I'd really like to get the Browning X-bolt pro in 300 short but there's some issues with that, including the cost. What I've come up with is a local gunsmith can install a Bell and Carlson stock and bed at least the lug and also install a center feed magazine by Wyatt. Am I wasting money? Is it even reasonable to think that I'd be able to achieve the accuracy that I did with the Limbsaver? Any other suggestions on alternate gun stocks to the Bell and Calson? Any feedback would be appreciated. Any at all.

Ultimately the the Limbsaver de-resinator is a pretty slick trick but is this even solving my problem when I'm resting the for end of the stock on something in a different way then when I sighted it in? I'm talking about the current cheap-o stock that came with it. They are so flexible and not free-floated as there are to tabs that (purposely) touch the barrel.

How much is the local smith charging for all this? You could buy the BC stock yourself and bolt it together and shoot it and see how it does. Then if not to your satisfaction bed the lug and tang yourself or have the smith do it.
The wyatts box and install depending on the price might be worth it but the factory rem can feed well especially if you seat the cartridge all the way to the rear of the box as you load each one.
Also pretty sure the XCR is a 416 SS factory barrel in rem mag contour. Should be a pretty decent shooter.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I was going to include that info.. $500 all in for the stock and mag, including bedding the lug.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've heard of feeding issues with WSM in the model 7 - WSM's often have feeding issues with model 70's and Kimbers - I've used or owned many Tikka WSM's that feed so smoothly sometimes you need to check to make sure a round chambered (and it's always there)

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I've heard of feeding issues with WSM in the model 7 - WSM's often have feeding issues with model 70's and Kimbers - I've used or owned many Tikka WSM's that feed so smoothly sometimes you need to check to make sure a round chambered (and it's always there)
Yeah. I've considered the Tikka. They seem super popular. I'm certainly not against them.

My dad has the same gun. I installed a center feed magazine and it made a night and day difference. I'd do as suggested above. Buy the B&C stock, and install it yourself. They have an aluminum mini chassis built in, so there's a good chance it won't need bedding. Add the center feed DBM and it should be good to go. It's still a Remington action/barrel so accuracy is always a gamble but it's worth a shot if you are dead set on not scrapping it for a Tikka.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got old and new Remington rifles and they all have been accurate. I've got a Model Seven in 7 SAUM and don't have any feeding issues with it.
I've used several B&C stocks and love them. I've never had to bed an action.
Just make sure your barrel is free floating.

terryda

FNG
FYI, if you buy a new Ruger American and the stock is touching on the left side, Ruger will send you a new stock.

terryda

FNG
Savage will also replace a warped stock with a new one, if you report it to them right after purchase.