New Stone Glacier "Military Packs" R3 7000

I was ready to buy the R3 7K bag but realized they only are compatible with the new R3 frame.

From their product description: "R3 Bags are only compatible with the R3 Frame."

prm

WKR
I was ready to buy the R3 7K bag but realized they only are compatible with the new R3 frame.

From their product description: "R3 Bags are only compatible with the R3 Frame."

Looking at pics it appears to be mostly the same, maybe just different fasteners at the top? Their website is clear as mud!

C1523181-1488-47DB-BF0B-5DD54CD99255.jpeg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
b9fbeb5a1af64b7971e17905f0ebacce.jpg

Defiantly works with the Xcurve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sr80

WKR
I wish SG would put a horizontal stay on their frames to help keep them from barreling. Pretty simple to do, im surprised they dont in their "military line" as they could be used to haul some awkward loads.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The R3 bag requires switching buckle configurations to allow it to work on the hunting frames. I replaced 6 tension locks buckles on the R3 bag line with side lock buckles for quick access to the load shelf/rifle carry system of the new R3. So the short answer is the new R3 bags will work on our other frames, however it does take a buckle kit and modification. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if this is something anyone is interested in, I can modify the buckle config like I did for Ryan.
@prm - Thanks for the insight on our page, I will be sure to correct that information so it is more clear.
Best
Kurt

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sorry @Kurt I should have explained that better.

I did need a brief consultation with Kurt to get it right on the Xcurve.

prm

WKR
The R3 bag requires switching buckle configurations to allow it to work on the hunting frames. I replaced 6 tension locks buckles on the R3 bag line with side lock buckles for quick access to the load shelf/rifle carry system of the new R3. So the short answer is the new R3 bags will work on our other frames, however it does take a buckle kit and modification. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if this is something anyone is interested in, I can modify the buckle config like I did for Ryan.
@prm - Thanks for the insight on our page, I will be sure to correct that information so it is more clear.
Best
Kurt
Thanks Kurt! Quick and easy access to the load shelf is a feature I look for. For the initial pack in my day hunting gear goes in the pack bag and camp goes into a separate bag on the shelf. Once at camp site the camp bag comes out and I’m ready for hunting. Meat goes on the shelf.
Glad I ran across this thread. This R3 with the 3300 bag appears to be my next pack.

I just got the R3 7000 pack in today and really like the bag design, as well as the comfort of the new frame. Not sure what they did with the belt padding, but it feels more like a Mystery Ranch belt and I mean that in a great way. I’ve always loved the belt and buckle adjustment system of Stone Glacier as well as the sturdy feel once everything is snugged up. It still feels rock solid, but the padding they‘re using in this belt feels really great, almost too good. It could also be that it’s been awhile since I‘ve had brand new belt padding. Lol

I‘d just about worn out my Sky 5900 and have been looking at new packs after this last season that had a bit more room. I wanted something a little bigger than my 5900, but not anything bigger than around 7000 cubic inches. At the Sheep Show this year, I looked at nearly every pack out there. It was awesome to get to try everything and ask questions. I was also following the EXO K4 introduction over the past month and their packs do look truly awesome.

Two things that I really wanted in a pack were the “horseshoe“ zipper to access the main bag and stretch pockets on both sides of the bag. I didn’t think Stone Glacier had anything with these two features, and that’s why I was looking at the EXO K4. Then I saw this thread a month ago and watched the video of Kurt going over these packs. I would have never considered the R3 in the past, because I looked at it as mainly a military or rescue pack. And the Sky series is such an amazing pack, that I was also super familiar and confident with. It’s done some pretty incredible packouts over the years and I’ve been super happy with it.

So I rolled the dice and decided I’d buy the R3 and give it a shot. Thanks to all who gave feedback here, and especially @Formidilosus for all of his insights as well as mentioning the “side bags” and what they were designed for. They’re easy to remove/add and are the perfect size for my A7 cold layers. They probably won’t be added until late season, but I‘m really glad I bought them and have another 1,500 cubic inches of storage if needed. Another thing I added was the R3 Rifle Sling. I wasn’t expecting much for $25, but I was way wrong. It’s pretty clever and holds a rifle securely and tightly with the additional straps on the frame. The rifle is sandwiched between the bag and frame, but with this new design, you can access the load shelf so much quicker, it’s pretty unbelievable. I had read somewhere that there was some molle webbing sewn in on the inside of the bag. That’s not the case and I’m actually glad since there’s a strip of velcro hook and loop that’s about 12”x4” across the top of the bag on the inside. You can attach two of the cordura camp pockets across there, or get a molle “velcro panel” that you can remove if you want or need molle for attachment. The bag has the same triglides that they have in their other packs to attach different SG pockets - swing out, hydration, camp, etc.

Like all of us, I can’t wait for the season to start up again. Now I’ve got plenty of time to break this pack in on a couple of high country fishing trips and even a 14 day trip to the Bob Marshall this summer. I’m really looking forward to putting some mileage on this pack and getting it dialed in for later this year.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@MTElkChaser

That’s good to hear. The new R3’s are really good packs. The wing pockets, side stretch pockets, and quick access to the load shelf really make them fantastic. The slight mod on the lid that they did stopped one of the only complaints I had of their packs- floppy lid.

@MTElkChaser

That’s good to hear. The new R3’s are really good packs. The wing pockets, side stretch pockets, and quick access to the load shelf really make them fantastic. The slight mod on the lid that they did stopped one of the only complaints I had of their packs- floppy lid.

I noticed that small buckle on the back of the lid for another point of attachment and wondered why they added it. Makes perfect sense now to keep the lip centered on the bag! Thanks for mentioning that!

Got the SG R3 7000 loaded up today with what I’d typically take on a 5-6 day hunt and down in bivy mode with the lid. Still have some room to spare and this belt on the R3 sure feels nicer than my older pack. @Kurt did you guys do anything different with the belt padding on the new R3 frame? I’m convinced it’s even more comfortable than my X-Curve belt, but could be my imagination since it has been forever since I’ve had a brand new pack!

Got a few pictures of the front, back, and both sides of the pack as well as the load shelf and frame with the R3 rifle sling. Just added the side bags, but don’t have a picture of them. Very easy to add/remove them and when cinched down, they’re nice and tight. The stretch pockets are large and roomy. Had a bipod on one side and a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle on the other and feel like I could stuff a lot of other gear in both pockets and not be worried about anything working its way out of them.

Really impressed so far and typical SG quality throughout. Looking forward to several years of hard use on this one for sure!

495F09CC-B329-4FD4-A1B6-372E2E33A1FC.jpeg

2CC3C5FF-8A96-43C2-9BD0-A5839D4577BE.jpeg

8C7F2185-904C-4F42-87D3-8A3721D56B2A.jpeg

21D4C6C8-A0BD-40D8-B86E-0A56E0C1F705.jpeg

631C37A1-E74C-47C0-8FF1-BEF12A9DDC28.jpeg

CBF1298F-F62F-449D-AC92-8B76B8618BE0.jpeg

44A21E34-3EB0-4034-95CB-DA16425C8697.jpeg

OP
carsonkeys
Got the SG R3 7000 loaded up today with what I’d typically take on a 5-6 day hunt and down in bivy mode with the lid. Still have some room to spare and this belt on the R3 sure feels nicer than my older pack. @Kurt did you guys do anything different with the belt padding on the new R3 frame? I’m convinced it’s even more comfortable than my X-Curve belt, but could be my imagination since it has been forever since I’ve had a brand new pack!

Got a few pictures of the front, back, and both sides of the pack as well as the load shelf and frame with the R3 rifle sling. Just added the side bags, but don’t have a picture of them. Very easy to add/remove them and when cinched down, they’re nice and tight. The stretch pockets are large and roomy. Had a bipod on one side and a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle on the other and feel like I could stuff a lot of other gear in both pockets and not be worried about anything working its way out of them.

Really impressed so far and typical SG quality throughout. Looking forward to several years of hard use on this one for sure!

View attachment 542723

View attachment 542724

View attachment 542725

View attachment 542726

View attachment 542727

View attachment 542728

View attachment 542729
Any more feedback on the new frame and/or bag?