New Stone Glacier "Military Packs" R3 7000

Was tooling around on the SG website last night and stumbled upon what appear to be new bags that I haven't seen advertised anywhere. I love my SG bag but often get envious of the guys running around with exo bags due to the stretchy side panels that seem dang useful. FINALLY. @Formidilosus , you or your crew have any experience with these?
@Kurt , are these compatible on X-curve frames?

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 8.43.56 PM.png

I ran the small r3 3300 bag on both an xcruve and evo frame. I can’t see why it wouldn’t be the same with this bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Was tooling around on the SG website last night and stumbled upon what appear to be new bags that I haven't seen advertised anywhere. I love my SG bag but often get envious of the guys running around with exo bags due to the stretchy side panels that seem dang useful. FINALLY. @Formidilosus , you or your crew have any experience with these?

Yes. What would you like to know?

OP
carsonkeys
Yes. What would you like to know?
Any chance you could take a photo showing how stretchy the side panels are? Ideally, i’d like to be able to wrap my spotter in my rain jacket and stuff that, and rain pants, in one side and a puffy parka* and pants in the other.

*zap*

WKR
If you need a guy to do a good review on this pack I am available....already have a few SG frames I could use.

(y)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any chance you could take a photo showing how stretchy the side panels are? Ideally, i’d like to be able to wrap my spotter in my rain jacket and stuff that, and rain pants, in one side and a puffy parka* and pants in the other.

What’s your spotter?

The pack was designed with a specific “style” of using it for extremely cold, alpine use. Water bottles and hiking poles/tripod/etc. in the side pockets, those pockets deep enough that a Nalgene won’t pop out. Sized large enough for all the bulky winter gear required. A new lid design that is much more stable on top, and that stays centered on the pack. A new system for accessing the load shelf that is quick and intuitive. When paired with the side wing pockets, the whole thing really shines. Those side wing pockets were expressly designed to have quick access to puff jackets and pants, stove, 15x binos, and a days worth of food. Additionally, rifle storage on the side of the pack using the side pocket and the wing to secure it, is very stable, protects the scope and action from snow and debris, and is quick to access.

The whole thing allows quick and direct access to items needed for a day without ever opening the main bag.

OP
carsonkeys
What’s your spotter?

The pack was designed with a specific “style” of using it for extremely cold, alpine use. Water bottles and hiking poles/tripod/etc. in the side pockets, those pockets deep enough that a Nalgene won’t pop out. Sized large enough for all the bulky winter gear required. A new lid design that is much more stable on top, and that stays centered on the pack. A new system for accessing the load shelf that is quick and intuitive. When paired with the side wing pockets, the whole thing really shines. Those side wing pockets were expressly designed to have quick access to puff jackets and pants, stove, 15x binos, and a days worth of food. Additionally, rifle storage on the side of the pack using the side pocket and the wing to secure it, is very stable, protects the scope and action from snow and debris, and is quick to access.

The whole thing allows quick and direct access to items needed for a day without ever opening the main bag.
My next hunt will be an angled 88mm Kowa…but an angled 65mm will be most common.

I was hoping on using the stretch panels in exactly the way you described using the side pockets. By the sounds of it, I may be overestimating their size and utility.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My next hunt will be an angled 88mm Kowa…but an angled 65mm will be most common.

I was hoping on using the stretch panels in exactly the way you described using the side pockets. By the sounds of it, I may be overestimating their size and utility.

My bet is that they will fit that. They stretch pretty well.

OP
carsonkeys
My bet is that they will fit that. They stretch pretty well.
Appreciate it. After you touched on the side pockets you’ve grabbed my curiosity. If you shove a rifle in the side panel, wouldn’t the barrel stick ridiculously far over your head?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Appreciate it. After you touched on the side pockets you’ve grabbed my curiosity. If you shove a rifle in the side panel, wouldn’t the barrel stick ridiculously far over your head?

Depends on the rifle. For normal size rifles it does stick up, but generally isn’t that big of an issue, if it is, that’s what the new load sling access is for. Shorter rifles or ones with folding stocks fit on the sides very well. A 20” barrel with can and a regular stock doesn’t stick up that much and protects the action/trigger/optic from snow, ice, and sand.

OP
carsonkeys
Depends on the rifle. For normal size rifles it does stick up, but generally isn’t that big of an issue, if it is, that’s what the new load sling access is for. Shorter rifles or ones with folding stocks fit on the sides very well. A 20” barrel with can and a regular stock doesn’t stick up that much and protects the action/trigger/optic from snow, ice, and sand.
I’m a short barrel and can nerd anyway, so no issue it sounds like. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

prm

WKR
Very interesting. Looking at 3300 vice 7000. I noticed they no longer list the Evo 3300. Perhaps enough duplication in that size range with the Solo and Kiowa that this new R3 in 3300 negated the need.
Appears the load shelf is now accessible with quick disconnects on top vice having to mess with the load lifters.
edit: evo 3300 is back on there today.

Can anyone comment on feel of R3 frame vs. Evo or Xcurve?

Last edited:
OP
carsonkeys
Very interesting. Looking at 3300 vice 7000. I noticed they no longer list the Evo 3300. Perhaps enough duplication in that size range with the Solo and Kiowa that this new R3 in 3300 negated the need.
Appears the load shelf is now accessible with quick disconnects on top vice having to mess with the load lifters.
edit: evo 3300 is back on there today.

Can anyone comment on feel of R3 frame vs. Evo or Xcurve?
That's a good catch on the quick disconnects, I didn't spot that until you said something. Would be awesome if we could retroactively fit Xcurve or Evo Frames with the same system.

No help on the difference between the frames, unfortunately.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The side pockets are big enough for that.

This is a SG XL rain jacket and pant in stuff sack along with a Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60mm spotter in a thick soft cover in the side pocket-
58AEABFB-DB9E-423C-8279-0537853C0AD9.jpeg

There was more room, and if you wrapped or stuffed the rain gear in, instead of the stuff sack, there’d be even more room.

prm

WKR
The side pockets are big enough for that.

This is a SG XL rain jacket and pant in stuff sack along with a Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60mm spotter in a thick soft cover in the side pocket-
View attachment 462467

There was more room, and if you wrapped or stuffed the rain gear in, instead of the stuff sack, there’d be even more room.

From a fit a feel perspective is the R3 essentially the same as the Evo?