New stone glacier pack?

The only thing I believe will happen is higher production. Aka, Sitka style marketing. If quality holds Im ok with that.
Usually the company will chase higher margins which starts with cheap manufacturing. Have you ever seen shark tank?

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
RCB2000, I have not seen the Seek Outside packs and am not familiar with their their Spectra fabric. There are many companies that are making fabrics, ropes, and sheet material from UHMW, Spectra and Dyneema are two of the more recognizable brands. Our fabric is not Spectra brand, but it is a UHMWPE laminate derivative. There are many different weaves these days, combining UHMW with other threads to get the properties you wish to attain.

This new pack looks really good and I am considering buying it. I would only be using it for elk and maybe deer hunting. I understand I would need to debone the meat, but would it hold an entire rear quarter and maybe 1 BS or maybe 2 front quarters? I was considering the sky 5900, but I do like the weight savings with this new pack and the features.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Pointer guy, The internal load cell will hold approximately 80 pounds of boned meat. This would easily carry a boned hind quarter and BS, or two front quarters.
As far as versatility, the 5900 is a more versatile pack as you could carry bone-in quarters if you ever need to using the load shelf. However, if you commit to always boning the animal, the Terminus will work well. The fabric is slightly louder than the Cordura on the 5900, however it is not substantial in my opinion. I can also let those who have purchased speak to that as it is hard to quantify the difference in noise.

USMC-40

WKR
Have a 5900 and the new 7000 - been hiking with the 7k for 2 weeks now. I really like the pack, I don’t notice a noise difference, however I see how that could be a potential thing with the different material. Dang thing is scary light and seems to handle moderate loads (55#) very well. Haven’t gone more than that yet, but I’m not worried about it based on how it’s handled so far. Bottom line (for me) it’s a great pack that compresses well and may replace my current SG pack and not supplement it as I initially thought.

sr80

WKR
I was concerned about the noise of the bag material before ordering, and now that I have it i don't see it as an issue. It would bet its pretty damn close to regular 550 D material. Also just because this pack has an internal sleeve for deboned meat ( i know it was designed to ) doesn't mean you have to debone meat to use this pack. You can still load bone in quarters into the main bag and NOT use the internal sleeve.

Thank you everyone for the all the great information regarding this pack. It sounds like a good option for me.

Brightwhite,
Ultra PE is a laminate fabric is very similar construction to Xpac, the face fabric laminated to waterproof backer. The fabric is louder than Cordura just like Xpac. The fabric also breaks in with use and becomes more flexible which does make it quieter over time, similar to how Cordura 500 becomes more pliable. Ultra PE will always be more noisy than Cordura, but the weight savings, increased durability, and waterproof laminate is a trade off I am more than happy to make for an alpine pack.
The waterproof fabric works very well wet weather, however in very heavy rain it is possible to push water through the seams, but it takes quite a lot of exposure. We have not able to duplicate water coming through the seams with the Terminus design and fabric in testing, however I have seen that happen with earlier Xpac and Dyneema laminate prototype packs I built and tested several years ago. Coastal hunts with heavy, sustained rain, I would suggest a rain cover, especially if you leave your pack outside at night. I don't carry a rain cover here in Montana with this pack regardless of the time of year.

MTwarden is exactly correct, this is a purpose built pack that does take a tight gear list. Keep in mind that approximately 2400 cubic inches will be used for boned meat on a deer/sheep/goat sized animal. This leaves 4600 for gear and cape. If planning on packing a full goat cape or scenarios like that, multiple trips or a buddy are going to be needed. On a 12 day sheep hunt this last season, I was at approximately 6000 cubic inches of gear/food going in, with approximately 3000+ cubic being nothing but food (14 days total.) The swap ends up being food volume for boned meat. Specific design was around carrying a boned animal, shoulder cape rolled up on top, capped skull, gear, and a couple days of food on the pack out. Here in MT, with sheep it would be cape on head as shown in some of our field photos of the pack on our website. If there are any concerns in regards to volume or versatility with the load shelf, the Evo frame or Xcurve frame are definitely a better choice you. However, for those that look at this pack and say "that is exactly what I have been looking for", this may be for you. In the end, I designed the Terminus for exactly what I wanted and needed, figuring there has to be customers out there looking for the same.

Another note, hydration is designed to be carried in the lid, a hose port is integrated into the lid. The hanging bladder location found on many packs against the frame cannot be used as this is the load cell area.
Is there drainage in the bottom of the main bag as well? Like grommets?

ljalberta

WKR
Just got mine in the mail this morning. Very impressed. This thing is LIGHT. It looks real sharp as well, which is just an added bonus.

I usually bone out my meat and haul it in the pack anyway when I’m backpacking, so this internal sleeve could be a real nice touch for my uses.

ljalberta

WKR
I'll tell you that I have no regrets. Everything about the frame is timed-tested and proven SG quality and design. My use has been limited so far, but I really am liking this new material. The real test of course will be seeing how it stands up over the course of hard use, and unfortunately I don't have any of that hard use yet.

I think it really comes down to the idea of whether you think the juice is worth the squeeze for the weight savings, and do you mind meat in the bag? For me, I think it's an incredible place to save weight as the pack is always on my back, and I honestly prefer the internal sleeve versus an external shelf for backpack hunts that have significant hike outs.

On paper, I think it's the absolute perfect pack for its intended application. Even if I only use it on one Dall sheep hunt every year, I think it's worth the money in terms of weight saving and waterproofness.

Moving from my Sky Archer 6400, I'd be shaving ~1.5 pounds off backpack weight. and that is huge when you're dealing with 50-pound limits for a flight.

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
On paper, I think it's the absolute perfect pack for its intended application. Even if I only use it on one Dall sheep hunt every year, I think it's worth the money in terms of weight saving and waterproofness.

Moving from my Sky Archer 6400, I'd be shaving ~1.5 pounds off backpack weight. and that is huge when you're dealing with 50-pound limits for a flight.

It’s how I looked at it. One of the few areas left gear wise that I could save a real 1-2 pounds.

Haven’t hunted with it yet but have hiked and backpacked with it. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk