New string ... Arrows are 14" High

bat-cave

WKR
Folks,

I had a Fast Eddie Double Pin on my RX-1 last season and it worked well. I did, however, find myself stressing a bit over what if scenario's (that never came to pass) and I decided to go back to a 4-Pin Black Gold Ascent this season. I was shooting the BG with my 3D arrows really well (Consistent ~4" in groups at 80 yards - good for me). My string was the factory string and needed to be re-served, so I decided to be proactive and put a new Rogue string set on a few weeks back. The shop helped me paper tune, adjust the timing etc ... and off to the range I went. After several weeks of inconsistent shooting (1 day I was I was great and the next ... not so much at 40 yds+ ... variable from day to day). I got my broadheads tuned up out to 40 yards, but continued to be more inconsistent than I normally am.

Yesterday, I decided to experiment and pulled off the BG and put my Fast Eddie back on. Note, the Fast Eddie had not been touched since the end of WT season last Fall. I'm shooting the exact same arrow setup, but with the new string set and some timing changes. I was surprised when my first arrow at 20 yards was ~14" high! I expected it would need minor tuning, but 14" was more than I had expected. I moved the sight housing up and Boom, consistent tight groups out to 80 yards ... staying with the Fast Eddie for Elk season this weekend.

I've never had this much variation with just the string change / minor timing adjustment. I'm curious what others have seen as far as POI changes with a "simple" string change? Nock point and everything else appears to be the same ...

Your nock point and peep location are probably different from when it was set up last season before the string change. Also if the shop set the peep height at a different range on your sight i.e. 20 vs 40 yards. The distance from your scope housing to your peep is probably different as well with the different sights.

These would all effect you point of impact. Throwing a different sight on your bow won't confirm or deny your bow is tuned. If you're not confident that your bow is in tune I would go back to square one and start over.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Definitely sounds like your peep or nock height especially if your still hitting at 80 on your tape, you got lucky most string sets I’ve put on I had to make a new tape, have you shot bareshafts or broadheads yet?

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just replaced my strings on my Carbon Spyder Turbo.

Shot the snot out of the strings to “shoot them in”. Timed perfect, bullethole perfect.

Put my sight back on right where it came off from and I’m 4 inches low @ 20.

As was stated, prolly peep. We measured off the original strings but ??? Who knows. Obviously the arrow might have been nocked higher causing this ? Who knows. I got a bullethole in paper, perfect cam orientation and it’s shooting smoothe as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is why I measure and mark everything when I get a bow set up well. So when I replace the strings I can set it up the same way and then fine tune from there if needed. A small change in peep location changes your anchor and your form and can have big differences down range......same for nocking point, same for cable adjustments.

Nevada Mike

FNG
Classified Approved
Gents,
Need some advise. I recently won a Matthews Triax and set out to set it up with the same equipment as my Hoyt Maxis 31. Both bows have the following equipment:

Sight: Trophy Ridge 5H React
Rest: Ripcord Code Red
Peep: G5 1/4”

After getting paper tuned and a few arrows down range to get it reasonably sighted in I went home to dial it in. The sight pin housing is adjusted all the way down and I am 2 1/4” low at 20 yards. My Hoyt and Matthews are set up exactly the same with the exception of the peep. The peep on the new bow is higher than the peep on my older bow. I am thinking that’s why I have run out of adjustment on the sight. Am I on the right track or do I need to make adjustments to my nock point and the peep.

Your thoughts?

Gents,
Need some advise. I recently won a Matthews Triax and set out to set it up with the same equipment as my Hoyt Maxis 31. Both bows have the following equipment:

Sight: Trophy Ridge 5H React
Rest: Ripcord Code Red
Peep: G5 1/4”

After getting paper tuned and a few arrows down range to get it reasonably sighted in I went home to dial it in. The sight pin housing is adjusted all the way down and I am 2 1/4” low at 20 yards. My Hoyt and Matthews are set up exactly the same with the exception of the peep. The peep on the new bow is higher than the peep on my older bow. I am thinking that’s why I have run out of adjustment on the sight. Am I on the right track or do I need to make adjustments to my nock point and the peep.

Your thoughts?

This could be the issue. Also if I remember correctly from the react 5 I had there are different mounting holes that can actually lower the whole site also. May look into that as well.

The circled area is what I mean. Might help some but may not make enough adjustment.

462d5b1ed3f6b008f1c10bc3144591bb.jpg

Nevada Mike

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks for the reply. I have tried both the upper and lower mounting holes. I think I am going to have to make a trip to the bow shop to move the peep.

Trial153

WKR
If you happy with the peep placement...what's the big deal about making a sight adjustment and calling it a day?

If you happy with the peep placement...what's the big deal about making a sight adjustment and calling it a day?

The issue is he has no more sight adjustment left to be able to get his 20y pin dialed in. The 20y on these sights are static and you adjust the sight housing to get it dialed in. After it is set then you use the Allen screw I believe to adjust the rest of the pins. The 20 doesn’t move.

Trial153

WKR
The issue is he has no more sight adjustment left to be able to get his 20y pin dialed in. The 20y on these sights are static and you adjust the sight housing to get it dialed in. After it is set then you use the Allen screw I believe to adjust the rest of the pins. The 20 doesn’t move.

He said he was low at 20 and would adjust his peep.

Not sure how a peep site adjustment would have any effect on windage like you mentioned..

He said he was low at 20 and would adjust his peep.

Not sure how a peep site adjustment would have any effect on windage like you mentioned..

I didn’t suggest windage. He is low and is housing is all the way down vertically. Therefore he can not adjust his 20y pin anymore. It doesn’t move inside the housing.

Edit: when I said left I don’t actually mean left and right

Trial153

WKR
I didn’t suggest windage. He is low and is housing is all the way down vertically. Therefore he can not adjust his 20y pin anymore. It doesn’t move inside the housing.

Edit: when I said left I don’t actually mean left and right
I follow you now sorry for the disconnect.

How about flipping the bracket on that sight....looks like you can detach it from the housing via the two screws. The flip the mount and it lower the whole housing

I follow you now sorry for the disconnect.

How about flipping the bracket on that sight....looks like you can detach it from the housing via the two screws. The flip the mount and it lower the whole housing

Oh yea actually that may work.

Nevada Mike

FNG
Classified Approved
I finally got some time to focus on the sight issue. I took the bracket off and flipped it over as most of you had suggested. After flipping it over and a big adjustment to get it back in the correct zip code it took about 20 min and 17 arrows down range to get it zeroed in. At 20 yards it putting 3 arrows on target with a spread of 3/4”.
Thanks for all the help with this.