New String/Cable Delima...Need Opinions

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
So Leave for Nevada for a Mule Deer hunt on 8/7.

5 weeks ago I ordered new strings and cables from my pro shop. They said it was gonna be 2 weeks. Well they finally shipped from thier supplier(I assume Winner's Choice) today and will not be available for install until Tuesday 7/31. Assuming they put them on that day that leaves me 6 days of practice before I leave.

Need opinions on whether changing strings this close to a hunt is a good idea and whether it will throw me off much.

Bow is shooting good now and I am dialed in to 60 yards. The string has very minor fray but I keep it waxed very well. I have probably 700 arrows thru it in 2 years.

Thanks for the help

TJ

WKR
I agree with Backpack Hunter. No way would I change a string or cable at this point.
Considering the number of shots you've taken with your set-up up you should have no problems with your existing string or cable.

If your dialed in and have confidence in your set-up, don't change now.

Leave it alone until you get back! 700 shots is not much and you will only need 1 or 2 to seal the deal on the hunt.

a3dhunter

WKR
Leave it alone. No way would I change that close to a hunt.

You know you are dialed in, if you change anything you will question it the entire trip.
You have to be confident in your equipment to make the 1 shot you need.

Ozz08

WKR
I think the smart thing would be to leave it alone. However, I don't think it would be a big deal to change the strings as long as you can tune the bow yourself and get it dialed in again. If you are getting good quality strings from a good maker you shouldn't have to worry about string stretch or anything. 6 days should be enough time to get the bow dialed in again. I had a set of stage 1 strings installed a week before my first ever archery hunt. I shot the bow a couple hundred times that week, broadhead tuned and sighted it in. I made my first archery kill on the second day of my first archery hunt. The strings never budged and after about 2000 shots on them they still never budged.

OP
drthornton

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I think I am going with the majority of advice. The way I see it is I am more concerned about somthing going wrong from a string change than I am about the strings crapping out on me. I am mentally confident in my setup and shooting really good with great arrow flight.

I am very self sufficient with my bow/tuning and really the only thing I don't have is a press to change my stings out.

I guess my next thread is "Do I change my string/cables out with 4 weeks until my Elk hunt"(time form when I get back from NV to Elk hunt)?

On another note: Has anyone had issues with Winner's Choice delivery times?. The Bow shop I ordered from is blaming it on them.

mtbshark

WKR
I agree leave strings alone till after season but carry the new ones with in case of more major issues!

Drthornton. i have had one set and will not again have winners choice do to how slow the delivery time was and also a little bit of the steep price!

.02 inserted into this thread

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
The shop I use also has had issue with getting Winners Choice strings on time. There are a ton of others out there that use the same materials and are just as good for a lower price.

OR Archer

WKR
We are a pretty high volume dealer of Winners Choice strings. its the only after market strings we sell and we sell a lot of them. I can normally have a set of custom strings within 7 business days. There are always exceptions to this rule but this is the norm for us. Never have we ever waited 5 weeks for anything from them.

Now as far as changing out your strings, if you have confidence in your current set then role with them. When you get back you can then change them out. 4 weeks is more than enough time to get your bow dialed back in. If you ordered your strings in the new 8190x material you'll find it to be rock solid. I have a set on my PSE Evo and they've hardly moved a hair since I installed them.

And if you have any questions on your order give Winners Choice a call and ask for Brandon. He'll take care of you.

7 Days is pretty standard for Winner's when our shop uses them as well. I would ask who they used make sure its not one of their local guys and charging you for a str/cbl that has no warranty.

I personally would change them and shoot the tar out of them. 50+ arrows a day (shoot 25 in the morning and 25 when you get home). It won't take any time to be on and have the same level of confidence. But that's just me.

I have changed Str/Cbls the day before a hunt but I have the confidence to change things out and get them running..plus working at the shop I can get them done fast after hours and have things dialed in out to 40 in less than 30 minutes. The next morning early zeroing my longer ranges and then building my tape and up and running. All told with two good hours I can restring, tune, sight in and build my tape.

I would rather trust a brand new string than a 2 year old one....no matter how many shots personally.

Lukem

WKR
Don't take this the wrong way, but if the strings are only 2 years old and only have 700 shots on them, I'd guess you don't shoot a whole lot and probably don't do a whole lot of your own tuning, right? While a lot of tuning isn't difficult, it's not a switch that you can just turn on. If the strings have been maintained and waxed, 2 years isn't terrible with only that many shots on them. Since you're dialed in, I wouldn't worry about them, don't go changing things up right now.

RUTTIN

WKR
My preference is.........when in doubt, change it out. But I do all of my own tuning, so if something goes awry I can fix it.

hunting1

WKR
Pro Strings is awsome and quick turnaround! I will not order Whinners Choice anymore, the last sets I ordered half from WC and the others PS, no comparison. Wes is a great guy too. I would not change until youget back though and good luck!

winners choice is taking forever at our shop here in central oregon too. On top of that, the new 8190 string material is stretching like crazy. I am talking after 6 months of shooting every other day and still stretching in. I Will now either request the 452x or get strings elsewhere. Just food for thought.

JDC

FNG
I wouldn't change them at this point...

Ordered my Korbin strings on Monday, he made them Tues, I got them Wed and picked up the bow yesterday morning at my bowshop. Its within an inch of where it was shooting..

OR Archer

WKR
winners choice is taking forever at our shop here in central oregon too. On top of that, the new 8190 string material is stretching like crazy. I am talking after 6 months of shooting every other day and still stretching in. I Will now either request the 452x or get strings elsewhere. Just food for thought.

I've done a ton of strings for guys using the new 8190 and not had a single issue with excessive stretching. I'm even running the new 8190 and not had to make any changes to my set up since the initial break in period which was very short.