New strings...bow is LOUD. Help!

The monkey tails make a small difference IME. That, coupled with the fact that you don’t have the speed nocks is likely what’s causing the increased volume.

Wouldn’t be bad to have it checked over to make sure it’s in time, but I’d be willing to bet if you corrected at least one of those you’d be golden again.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Thought I’d revisit this…

Made an adjustment to string stop. Where I can see full daylight. Like a credit card width. That removed some of the slap I was getting.

To my ear, the bow is still louder. But I dull louder. Less of a slap. I imagine some kind of speed nock or string dampener might take it back to the level I’m use to

Wrench

WKR
My mathews experience is dated for sure, but they always had a reference on the cam, yours I would guess is the hole where the string passes at rest. In the picture, it appears the string is not centered....could be camera angle.

It would be worth digging into that timing mark to be sure.

My mathews experience is dated for sure, but they always had a reference on the cam, yours I would guess is the hole where the string passes at rest. In the picture, it appears the string is not centered....could be camera angle.

It would be worth digging into that timing mark to be sure.

Generally any cable in that hole is good. Depends on a few things, but it's just a rough guidelines anymore.

The old solocam stuff you wanted to be centered pretty good.

I had new strings put on my vxr and it was loud until I pit monkey tails back on it!
I was going to suggest this. Get the monkeytails put on and get it in a draw board and make sure stops are hitting same time. If that doesn't work I would probably move on. Loud bows are no good for me. I picked up a used vertix and it had a weird twang to it as it came with 60x strings. I got it restrung and it was a little better but I couldn't get over it as our deer are super sensitive to bow noise so I sold it. Picked up another veritx and it was way quieter. Bows are weird

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
@bojangles808 thanks for the advice. Going to grab some monkey tails or wishbones, get the shop to check things out, and go from there. I’ll hunt it this fall, then make a call.

good luck. ya for me i think it was psychological though more than physical as my friend that i sold it to shot a deer with it a couple weeks later haha

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
@bojangles808 thanks for the advice. Going to grab some monkey tails or wishbones, get the shop to check things out, and go from there. I’ll hunt it this fall, then make a call.
The increase noise is lack of speed nocks. I had the exact thing happen on a Halon 5. I thought the speed nocks would be standard when ordering the string, they came without, bow was noticeably louder. Next set of strings I put on had the nocks, bow was quiet again. Monkey tails will help but won’t be as quiet as before.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
The increase noise is lack of speed nocks. I had the exact thing happen on a Halon 5. I thought the speed nocks would be standard when ordering the string, they came without, bow was noticeably louder. Next set of strings I put on had the nocks, bow was quiet again. Monkey tails will help but won’t be as quiet as before.
Very interesting

Can the shop that custom built the string do add ons after the fact?

I assume yes…

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Tie some cat whiskers on the string until you need another replacement. Not the most modern solution, but it will definitely quiet things down. Speed loss should be minimal if you cut them down to golf ball size.

MattB

WKR
Tie some cat whiskers on the string until you need another replacement. Not the most modern solution, but it will definitely quiet things down. Speed loss should be minimal if you cut them down to golf ball size.
I carefully cut mine in half before I install them so just use one for both top and bottom. Works well.

sndmn11

WKR
Very interesting

Can the shop that custom built the string do add ons after the fact?

I assume yes…

Yes, they are just a series of brass nocks squeezed on and then covered with heat shrink to look svelte. If you have a press you can do them yourself, if you don't you can still squeeze the brass on by yourself and then take the bow to a shop to slide the shrink tube on.

db.cannon

FNG
got new strings on my pse evl 34 in december. shot an indoor league with my 70 lb limbs turned down to 60ish all winter. used a fatter target arrow.

just turned limbs back to 70 and adjusted my hamskea rest for my skinnier hunting arrows. after a couple sessions my bow got super loud and had some noticeable shock. Don't own a press so took it to the shop. They checked cam sync/timing and my rest cord tension. excess noise and vibration went away immediately.

I had done a once over on string stops, limb bolts etc. I think best explanation was some cable stretch at the new poundage/tension in my case.