New SX4 & Affinity

Sherman

WKR
I received my new SX4 yesterday and my 15 y/o son worked his as of all summer and bought himself a Franchi Affinity. Looking for help deciding if we need aftermarket choke tubes or not and what you guys are running.

Dove - pheasant - goose - duck - turkey

Both guns are 12g. Mine is 3.5” and the Affinity is a 3”, both 28”.

I have an sx4 and use the included tubes for ducks, skeet, grouse, and doves. I’d like to try an aftermarket for ducks, so following.

I buy extended chokes for the ease of switching and muzzle protection. You don’t need aftermarket chokes unless the patterns aren’t good with factory. Carlsons do the job but their cheap and patterns are just ok, personally I think Briley and patternmaster make the best patterning chokes. If your not too experienced with chokes or patterning I would buy Briley. Not all guns agree with patternmasters and there’s a chance you might be out $100. Your overbored sx4 will not pattern like your sons underbored franchi barrel. Yours .740 his .724. So if you buy matching chokes you will have different results.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
I buy extended chokes for the ease of switching and muzzle protection. You don’t need aftermarket chokes unless the patterns aren’t good with factory. Carlsons do the job but their cheap and patterns are just ok, personally I think Briley and patternmaster make the best patterning chokes. If your not too experienced with chokes or patterning I would buy Briley. Not all guns agree with patternmasters and there’s a chance you might be out $100. Your overbored sx4 will not pattern like your sons underbored franchi barrel. Yours .740 his .724. So if you buy matching chokes you will have different results.
Thanks for the in depth reply. I will definitely check out the chokes mentioned.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Patternmaster EXT never leaves my gun except if I need to shoot slugs in MN for deer. Been running one in my SX2 since 2008. No reason to change.

I received my new SX4 yesterday and my 15 y/o son worked his as of all summer and bought himself a Franchi Affinity. Looking for help deciding if we need aftermarket choke tubes or not and what you guys are running.

I have an SX4 and use it for duck, pheasant and turkey. I use carlson chokes for turkey and duck. Carlson turkey choke for turkey, medium and long range carlson cremator choke tubes for duck depending on species and weather/situation.

Unclecroc

FNG
I run a patternmaster code black goose for everything except turkey. I also shoot a sx4 and it patterned everything from 5 shot pheasant loads to 3.5 bb steel very well at 40 yards. I can’t say I noticed tighter patterns than my buddies Carlson cremator but the patterns are more even and also this choke doesn’t seem to be ammo fussy.

Which do you think is the better shotgun? I’m in the market for my son - needs a lefty

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy an unported Carlson Cremator midrange for a Beretta, not for the Benelli, the Benelli's bore is .723" and the Beretta is .729", and don't look back.

I have a ton of shotguns, mostly Auto-5s, but I rarely leave the house with anything other than the Affinity 3. I hunted with an Auto-5 for almost 40yrs, I don't see me ever not owning an Affinity.

PM me your address and I will send you a Patternmaster Close Range, think timber choke, for your hardworking son. I may have a couple of others I will send him that I just don't use, but had to have.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Which do you think is the better shotgun? I’m in the market for my son - needs a lefty

The Affinity hands down.

Made in the Benelli factory in Italy, light and handy, but there is nothing in the buttstock to clean, everything comes out the front. Don't get me wrong I hunted with a Browning for more than 40yrs , the SX/Gold gas system is amazing, but there are too many moving parts, Piston, sleeve, action spring and guide in the stock compared to the Franchi.

You can drag a mop thru the bore, remove the barrel and spray out the gunk, wipe it down, oil and reassemble, 15 minutes tops start to finish. Best part is it uses the larger .729" Beretta barrel bore diameter rather than the more finicky smaller .723" Benelli diameter bore.

Here is the Affinity, web image courteous of the NRA:

affinity3.jpg

The Affinity hands down.

Made in the Benelli factory in Italy, light and handy, but there is nothing in the buttstock to clean, everything comes out the front. Don't get me wrong I hunted with a Browning for more than 40yrs , the SX/Gold gas system is amazing, but there are too many moving parts, Piston, sleeve, action spring and guide in the stock compared to the Franchi.

You can drag a mop thru the bore, remove the barrel and spray out the gunk, wipe it down, oil and reassemble, 15 minutes tops start to finish. Best part is it uses the larger .729" Beretta barrel bore diameter rather than the more finicky smaller .723" Benelli diameter bore.

Another Question on the Affinity-

I am only finding black versions in Left Hand. What is the stock material like? Is it paintable? Will a good primer stay on it?

I have no problem painting a stock camo, sort of like the two tone look. Just want an opinion if it’s conducive to that.

Thanks