New take on the euro mount, feedback needed.-cleared by Robby

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My take is this. Cool idea but ouch on the price. In my work life we machine aluminum manifolds so I understand the quantity based pricing of NC machining. My suggestion would be do some crowd-funding or the like so you can run enough units to get the price way down. Might take 250 but if you can get the price down far enough it could do well.
Many comments here on alternative finishes, but this idea really shines when the antlers were sawn off the skull completely or sheds.

Rob5589

WKR
Do not like the blend of the natural antler and machined "skull." Not something I would be interested in.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I dont think the hunting crowd is your target. it would be more of an art crowd. Look up MacKenzie-Childs (courtly check moose head $15,000.00) . I could see it doing very well in that type of setting

K

Kootenay Hunter

Not for me,

Excellent work, very cool replica.

The utility of the idea is good, replace antlers as you 'upgrade' racks, but not sure if the price tag is cheap enough to reach a big enough market. I guess if it's a custom order, then that might work.

As for ease of use versus doing a euro mount, not really that hard to do a euro, I'd gladly do one form somebody for 1/4 of the $450 price.

You might have a bigger market if done out of wood, not sure if you can fab it in wood. Probably bigger market in home decor than the hunting crowd.

elkguide

WKR
Definitely interesting idea and cool fab skills.
To robotic and modern looking for my taste and my home look.

Its not to my personal taste.

I'm not sure on the antler mounting. It looks as if a person would have to cut the antlers off at the base. Then drill and tap so they could be bolted on.

That leaves some variables I wouldn't care for.
How to make the cut for proper antler angle?
What if the deer's pedicle angle doesn't match the mount angle?
Its a one way trip if you don't like the metal, then you have loose horns.
How do you mount it on a wall or stand?

The price is a killer for me. That's 3 or 4x a normal Euro skull cleaning.

The use of aluminum would leave open the ability to Parkerize and or anodize. That could be cool.

I'd like it better if it was hollow and set up to where it would clamshell around the antler basses of antlers on a skull plate. That way it wouldn't be a one way trip.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I think its really cool, but I also don't want one. Most cool trophy rooms that I have been in have a rustic/log cabin feel to them, and this would be out of place.

OP
F
Gents, thanks for all the feedback.

1) I knew the price would be a shock to most of you, I thank you for letting that be known. The material alone is $100 and the machines it is being made on are could pay for my house many times over. It is not impossible for the price to come down but it will never close the gap to what an actual euro would cost. There are a number of lower priced options for fake skulls if anyone is interested in keeping the mess down but doesn't want to pay the premium.

2) A few of you mentioned removing the antler from the skull plate and mounting on the machined pedicle as another reason for hesitation. Obviously not ever deer is going to have the same sized skull and pedicle shape and the angle might differ a bit. The removal of the antler is actually much easier than you might think. I hack sawed just below the burr and it matched the measurements from when it was on the skull within .75 inch tine to tine.

3) The aesthetics will be personal preference. I also love the look of bone, both bleached and natural. I prefer the look of a euro over the typical shoulder mount, not to mention the space requirements needed. The material does allow it to be anodized but that would ruin the benefit of the light catching edges. It is very different from a metal color dipped skull in appearance. Most of the difference is in the shine.

4) The pictures above don't include the actual wall mount. The mount will have one piece that bolts to the underside of the skull and a mating piece that gets mounted securely to the wall. Angled mounting plates will let you mount the skull vertically, as shown, or +-30 degrees in 15 degree increments. I am also drawing up a bench top mount. ( that is targeting the executives or doctors. Where all the dentists at?)

Thanks again to Robby for letting me test the waters and for all of you sharing your opinions.

I personally like the look of metallized skulls. Tons of metals & finishes available. I would go this route if I wanted a metal looking skull, as I like the greater detail and cost. For ~$450, I'd be leaning towards a shoulder mount.

View attachment 88120View attachment 88121
“IF” I were to metalize a skull, this is 100% the route I would go. Still has the skull details and looks really nice.

I personally do not care for the item in question in the OP. Absolutely not for $450. I think your price,point is more around $200 if someone were interested. But even at $200, I am doing the dipped metal skull instead of the one in question.

bdg848

WKR
I like it and would display it but wouldn't spend more than $100 for it. But it is really cool.

Michael54

WKR
Neat idea but if i wanted to go that specific route I'd just euromount a game commission robot deer.

I like the idea and the look for something different. I can tell you as a former taxidermist and a part time taxi now that there is a market for it but probably small. May do better with sheds to display or someone with cash to burn. I hated doing euro’s! Seems like I had more time invested in them to do them correctly than an actual shoulder mount. As a business owner I understand the price. Have to look at cost of supplies, equipment, time, and ultimately profit. Shoulder mounts for deer in the west are double that price.

Overall, I like it more than a bleached or natural looking skull. My wife hates euro’s so this would be more to her liking as well.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think the metal in the shape of a skull as art might work. But not covering the skull like a shield.