New take on the euro mount, feedback needed.-cleared by Robby

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Kind of like when I walk into a house with a “live love laugh” sign and cringe. Not my thing but hey more power to these different creations...

Nice design and art skills. But as others have said euro mount is about the actual bone/ skull.

Your market should be third and fourth home owners in rich mountain towns who want a little western flare without offending their California tree and Bambi hugging ilk. I would start marketing to interior designers in Vail, Bozeman, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole and then triple or quadruple the price. I'm thinking elk skull of metal where they can buy shed horns and mount for a mixed media art work. Just my 2 cents....

Jkr61

FNG
Dust rider above had a good idea look up Mountain Modern decorating ideas. It’s the esthetic that most of the new multi million dollars homes built here in Steamboat and the other mountain towns use. I manage a bunch of these homes and can totally see your idea in them and at a much higher price point.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Agree with Dust Rider too - that will be your main marketing group. A lot of those folks will want to have the bone already attached as well. Maybe partner with an antler buyer/seller? Interesting idea and thinking though.

Personally, I would lean toward the metalized euro skull; but still prefer the whitened skull over them all.

Jkr61

FNG
I forgot to say as I hunter I prefer the traditional white euro for my place. But I think the artistic expression of the metal is pretty cool

Austink47

WKR
You should ask people to ask there wives what they think. Might be worth the price to get some horns out of the garage and into the living room. Also you could sell them for a ton on the Santa Fe art market, with some decent sheds already mounted. I think it is very cool and there has to be a market.

terp91

FNG
To reduce your machining and material costs - create another aluminum skull but skip the final couple cut passes and use that to make a mold. Cast in epoxy with metal powder, add a plastic core to reduce weight if you want. That way all you have after the casting is a couple passes on the mill to give the nicely defined cuts plus a quick polish. Hanging on the wall I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference vs solid metal. You'd be able to use different metal powders or additives for other looks depending what the customer wants. Figure the starting form should be 1-3% oversize for shrinkage of the resin depending on what you use but the final machining may be able to account for this anyway.

Kind of like when I walk into a house with a “live love laugh” sign and cringe. Not my thing but hey more power to these different creations...
Except the ones that hold guns

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I like the look of a "metalized" skull but that isn't for me. I did this yote, my buddy did the boar for me years ago.

Attachments

• yote skull.jpg
    yote skull.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 19
  • hog skull.jpg
    hog skull.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

def90

WKR
I think that there are a ton of people with enough F You money that would buy these, I think it looks pretty cool myself and honestly $450 with the amount of machining that is required to do that seems a little cheap. I think you could jack the price up and still sell a ton to the right people. Christ, I work construction in high end homes, put some sheds on those things yourself and sell them to interior designers in Aspen and Vail and you could probably get thousands for them.

woods89

WKR
Except the ones that hold guns
That company is partially owned and managed by a customer of mine. They make some cool stuff and have been absolutely swamped with demand.

Small world!

Hensatc

FNG
Not sure if it’d make it into the house but I love the idea and always applaud someone doing something new and different. Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the skills and artistic rendition of cervid skulls in metal is admirable, to me removing the skull, undercuts the fundamental symbology of a skull of bone and antler on the wall. Throughout the world, skulls represent death....and while its a bit macabre, death is what we hunters strive to become proficient at delivering. These deaths we deliver provide meaning and literal sustenance to our lives and by removing the symbol of death from a euro mount, it has lost this reference, and in large part, its essense.