New Tikka 7/NF combo Started

270quest

WKR
Recently I recently had the opportunity to purchase a elk hunt that I jumped on. To free up some additional funds, I sold a couple rifles including a seekins havak that was my number 1, and a couple of other goodies. Wasn't worried much about the rifle as I have others, but the chance at a 330 - 340 type bull sounds way more interesting than rifles in a safe. Luckily for me, I made a bit more than was expecting on my sales and apparently according to my accountant/wife, we are actually in line to get some of that "free stimulus money" - thanks to my two kids....

...So it was back to stimulating the economy and purchasing another rifle. Pulled the trigger on a Tikka Super Lite 7 rem mag from Sportsman's, ordered a Demo NF NXS 2.5-10X42 MOAR from Euro optic, going to set in a left over pair of Talleys I have. Should weigh around 7 pounds 10 oz without ammo - 8 pounds all up. Hoping scope is here by this weekend. See if we can get it out shooting next week.

150 scenars will be the bullet of choice. Here's to hoping I draw Idaho moose this year and really get to put it to work.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Scope came in today - Mounted in Talley lows with the Bubble Level Top. This one is going to be fun...Scenars are backordered, but I have some 162 ELD X's to play with this weekend. For people complaining NF scopes are too heavy and ruin ltwt rifles - I would beg to differ on that - this setup feels amazing in hand. 7.5 pounds on a magnum with a rock solid scope - count me in.

IMG-6765.jpg

IMG-6764.jpg

IMG-6763.jpg

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Scope came in today - Mounted in Talley lows with the Bubble Level Top. This one is going to be fun...Scenars are backordered, but I have some 162 ELD X's to play with this weekend. For people complaining NF scopes are too heavy and ruin ltwt rifles - I would beg to differ on that - this setup feels amazing in hand. 7.5 pounds on a magnum with a rock solid scope - count me in.

IMG-6765.jpg

IMG-6764.jpg

IMG-6763.jpg

Grafs had the 150 scenars on sale for 29.99 In case you want to try those. 180’s are sold out though.

Monty3006

FNG
Sweet set up. I have the 3-10 SHV on mine totally agree with you on the overall weight and feel being nice.

I found a limbsaver made a noticeable difference in recoil on my 300wsm, but it’s a T3 not T3x.

IMG-6765.jpg

IMG-6764.jpg

IMG-6763.jpg
Looks like a great setup man! Let us know how it shoots!

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
To clarify, I ordered 3 boxes from Grafs - but got the message its taking up to 14 days to fulfill orders due to all the craziness going on on. This was about 4 days ago. I just don't think the tikka will stabilize the 180s.

That a great looking setup! I plan on doing the same, except for 30-06 and a Mil scope. Do you have any plans on replacing the stock or going with the original? Any other mods planned, like bottom metal, etc.?

Last edited:
OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I don’t disagree with you, but I had them left over from a prior project. I will use it this spring for bears and then plan to move to a pic base and NF ultralight rings before the fall.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
That a great looking setup! I plan on doing the same, except for 30-06 and a Mil scope. Do you have any plans on replacing the stock or going with the original? Any other mods planned, like bottom metal, etc.?

I have a black standard fill Sako Classic McMillan coming from Stockys, but not sure how I will like the open grip. If I do, Ill bed it to the tikka, if not, Ill send it back and bed the factory stock and call it good. The only other thing I could see doing is replacing the stock pad with a limbsaver if I stay with the factory stock.

Sako Classic is a nice stock - the McMillan Hunters Edge is also a really nice upgrade to the Superlites IMHO. I have one on my 7MM-08 and sure like it.
Nice rig by the way, I have that same scope on a different rifle but am thinking of putting it in the Tikka after seeing how yours is set up.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Sako Classic is a nice stock - the McMillan Hunters Edge is also a really nice upgrade to the Superlites IMHO. I have one on my 7MM-08 and sure like it.
Nice rig by the way, I have that same scope on a different rifle but am thinking of putting it in the Tikka after seeing how yours is set up.

This Mcmillan Sako Classic is a standard fill black - so I'm guessing around 30-32 oz - not sure what the factory stock weighs, but I imagine overall weight should be around the same. Suppose to be here Tuesday.

Manners had a SL black stock ready to go in their store but with shipping was going to be over $675. This Sako Classic was in the closeout bin at stockys and with their 20% off, came to around $450 shipped - so I went that route.

In a similar setup, would there be a difference in using the dovetail mount vs. a base with rings? Is there a consensus on the best rings to use?

In a similar setup, would there be a difference in using the dovetail mount vs. a base with rings? Is there a consensus on the best rings to use?
You will get plenty of opinions of what is "best" but one really good set-up that is rock solid is the Sportsmatch rings, lots of guys running those. Or some like the Talley Ltw's also or some like the DNZ mounts. I had the DNZ rings/bases that looked like a beefy version of the Talleys but when I went to a 30MM scope I switched to the Sportsmatch and sure like them. I've posted this pic before but for reference here is a set of Sportsmatch with a 10x42 scope.
414236793.jpg

Not a great picture but this was with the 2 piece DNZ rings/bases.
413447220.jpg

I have been using the Sportsmatch rings for about 10 years now, I think they are the best option if you don’t need extra inclination or spacing BB0C8C87-E18E-447F-A95D-D6935A322FC7.jpeg