new tikka t3x, now what?

davsco

WKR
new tikka t3x in 300wsm on order!

based on the punishing recoil on my old t3 300win mag, i plan on ordering a limbsaver airtech recoil pad.

what about scope mounting, who is doing what? pic rail and mount, pic rail and rings, or just bases/rings screwed into base, or something else?

i will be mounting a nikon fx1000 4-16x50 - ring and/or mount height greatly appreciated along with any brand recommendations that match up nicely with t3x.

read something about lightening the trigger pull via a spring change? yo dave or mtn tactical or ?

i'm going to buy and try a wide variety of factory elk loads, but any suggestions appreciated.

what else??

thanks!!

I use the Warne rings that screw straight to the receiver. No rail. No reason, really, just personal preference. There’s a ring chooser questionnaire on the Warne site to help you pick a height. I’ve used them on three T3x’s and so far so good.

For trigger springs, I have an MCARBO spring on the way so can’t comment yet.

Oh forgot to add, I put a limbsaver on the first T3x but didn’t bother on the next two. They upgraded the pad it comes with and I think it’s pretty nice. Check it out before you order the limbsaver.

FURMAN

WKR
I would try the factory first. Some of them will go down to 1.5 lbs. If you are unhappy with it then I would get an Ernie the Gunsmith spring.

I have a t3x lite in 7mm rem mag and its the best rifle I've ever owned! I have the limbsaver airtech and it made a huge difference. It wasn't terrible from the factory, but I barely feel it now. I use the game reaper in medium with my vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44. I have enough clearance that I think youd be fine with a 50. I went with them because they dont require lapping and had great reviews, and so far so good. I can still dial up 36 moa without a problem using the game reaper, and that is more than enough for me so I went with the mount over a moa rail. And as far as the trigger, Id adjust yours first. I just dialed mine out and I cant imagine going any lighter for my trigger pull. As soon as my brain thinks its applying pressure it breaks, and does so really smoothly!

Phaseolus

WKR
I would not mount the stock rings, especially with a harder recoiling caliber. I have DNZ one piece mounts on my 30.06. I started out with the stock mounts but they wouldn’t stay put. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
I would not mount the stock rings, especially with a harder recoiling caliber.

what are the stock rings? my understanding is the t3x, or at least the new one i'm getting, doesn't come with any rings. if there is a brand or type to stay away from, i'd appreciate you letting me know, thanks.

The old T3’s used to come with rings but the T3x doesn’t. Maybe he’s referring to the T3 rings.

Just got the MCARBO springs in and installed them into two guns. I don’t see how any one spring maker is better than another, it’s just a spring. But basically it just shifts the adjustment window down. I couldn’t get any of my T3x’s down below 2 lbs and I now have all two of the three breaking at exactly 1.5lbs. The third is my wife’s gun and I’m not sure what she wants yet. Installation is a breeze for this particular spring, but that’s not brand specific. If I were you I’d just go with who ever is cheapest if you decide you want to go lighter than factory. There’s no perceptible change in any other trigger qualities. Only change is pull weight.

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
There’s no perceptible change in any other trigger qualities. Only change is pull weight.

thanks for that info! sounds similar in concept to the trigger spring i just replaced in my a-bolt, all it did was drop down the # (which is great); nothing else changed.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
You are going to love that pairing. Nikon's BLACK FX1000 will let you dial in your shots and the zero stop will get you back to baseline. A friend just put one on his Bergara Ridge and it shoots lights out. I use Nikon's BLACK Series bases on mine, definitely worth taking a look at. Solid lock up and they look great.

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-26%20at%2011.53.33%20AM.png

OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
any rec's for 300wsm factory elk ammo in terms of accuracy and killing? i'm going to try a few fed and nosler with partitions and accubonds.

Tx_300wsm

FNG
Mine shoots the federal premium 180gr nosler partitions pretty well. MOA if I do my part.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk