New Tire Recommendations

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I drive a 2017 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 L Hemi. My current tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P275/60R20 114H. They may be the worst tires I've ever had in rain and snow. Although I recently moved to SC no worries about snow here but I'm driving to Colorado for the 3rd rifle season and a good chance of having snow there, especially if I follow the road up the mountain into higher elevations. So do I keep these crappy tires (have good tread) and buy chains or get more aggressive tires and will I still need (or maybe just have) chains?

Thanks,
Steve
31c8cb68a611cffaa75b00be60b2e54a.jpg
8252f52225414acac17113bfb188e78f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hondo

WKR
I have Goodrich All Terrain KO2 T/A LT275/60 R20 tires on my Ram Hemi and they performed well in light snow and mud on the mountain roads during October in Wyoming. I feel like I would have needed chains if it was heavier though and many of the roads were starting to restrict traffic to chains only late in the month anyway.

I run nitto tera grapplers on my expy...no issues here, I drive on the beach a lot, and no issues in WY last year...IME they wear a little better than the ridge grappler and there is a little less road noise...YMMV I would have chains no matter what tire for a CO 3rd season hunt.

WCB

WKR
Duratracs on my 2017 Silverado....zero complaints no noticeable drop in mileage over the factory wranglers...I have heard really good things about the K02s guy at the tire shop had both on a couple of his trucks and said either way you can't go wrong...I think the K02 had a little more aggressive sidewalls.

with that said I would have chains regardless...but a better tire is going to help you in 99% of situations...chains are always for that 1% anyways

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I put a new set of firestone destination XT on my cat hunting rig last fall. I sold the rig this spring so I dont know really how they last, but they were badass on/off rd, snow,mud, and ice. Was really impressed. Been running Falken wildpeak at3 on my diesel. Seem to do pretty well

cnelk

WKR
Last fall before hunting seasons, I put on a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT.
Man have they been a good tire.

I have a set of chains in my truck at all times. It’s been years since I’ve had to chain up, and that’s hunting every season, somewhere.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have bought several sets of sahara take offs to put on my grand cherokee(cheap) , Bridgestone dueler a/t rhs, third set in a row, zero issues, wear great and get good traction, I run too many highway miles to listen to an m/t type tire!

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Happy w my BFG KO2s. One of the big reasons I bought them is they are 10 ply tires. i've never had a gashed sidewall or rip due to rocks. They ride reasonably well compared to highway tires.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Falken Wildpeak AT3w's deserve a look.

I liked the Cooper AT3's, but my tire guy thinks the Falkens seem to be less prone to cupping as they wear. I was pretty surprised at how quiet they are going down the highway. I haven't had mine very long, but they get pretty good reviews and seem to belong in the conversation with the others mentioned so far. And they're made in the USA if that makes a difference for you.

just picked up some toyo opencountry r/s.. no complaints so far... finding the nitto ridge grapplers was a no go this time around.. they are on a national backorder..

just picked up some toyo opencountry r/s.. no complaints so far... finding the nitto ridge grapplers was a no go this time around.. they are on a national backorder..

I have the open country rs on a 2500 ram diesel. They are quiet and smooth in a 35 inch tire. Toyo makes a great tire casing that handle weight rather well.

JRMiller

WKR

I liked the Cooper AT3's, but my tire guy thinks the Falkens seem to be less prone to cupping as they wear. I was pretty surprised at how quiet they are going down the highway. I haven't had mine very long, but they get pretty good reviews and seem to belong in the conversation with the others mentioned so far. And they're made in the USA if that makes a difference for you.
I just bought a set of Wildpeaks after a friend and i went 5 miles or so of some horrendous ice in his F250 and i couldnt believe how well they did. The whole time i was %110 certain we’d slide off the trail at every turn but we never did. The only other vehicle that made it ( out of about 15) was a police cruiser with studded snow tires

brsnow

WKR

Super impressed with the falken thus far.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Falken Wildpeak AT3w. Love mine. If I remember correctly they’re 285/55R20, 10 ply tires. I’ve got them on a Sierra 1500, and have handled real well in snow, ice, and Wyoming soup mud. They’ve got about 20K miles, and if I had to guess without measuring, they’ve probably still got 2/3 to 3/4 tread remaining.

Somewhat related, I bought them at Discount Tire, and I can’t say enough about their warranty and customer service. And they’re starting to expand into the southeast - at least to Sumter, SC where I bought mine.

What size tire are you looking at? I’ve got chains and cables that I won’t be using for a year or two. Shoot me a PM if you want to borrow them (for the cost of shipping).