New Tire Recommendations

Squamch

WKR
I tried Terra grapplers on my f350. They were horrendous, worse than bfg mall terrains, and its hard for a tire to suck that badly.
They wore fast, chunked badly, and had garbage traction offroad after the first 10,000km. And they barely lasted 30,000km.
Now I have toyo m55s, they are about worn out though at 45,000km. TOUGH tires though.
I'm going to try Firestone destination MTs on this go round.

pk_

WKR
And then you have to pay to get them mounted and balanced? Does that eat into the savings? Around here it is getting hard to find a shop to mount tires you do not buy from them,
Well, any tires you buy will have to be mounted and balanced and you should also get an alignment. So, those costs are the same no matter which tire you go with...

Most of my rigs can’t be balanced and aligned at a normal tire shop. I have to go to a place that specializes in offroad/lifted vehicles..

if you are going to run an AT or an MT you should find a shop with good equipment and a good reputation.

So what I do is buy the tires I want at the cheapest price online(including shipping). Then I have a little Gas station tire shop by my house slap the tires on the rims for cash cheap. Then I take it to the specialty shop for balance and alignment....

most tire shops are a complete rip off, that’s why they want to sell you tires at their prices.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have always had great results with BF Goodrich All Terrains for Colorado & Wyoming hunting trips. Drove over 25 miles in odometer mud 2 ft deep without getting stuck in Hayden Colorado. Great on rocks and snow also it’s all I trust running. Had them on last 3 Ram trucks.

i have nitto ridge grapplers on my 3500hd. 51,xxx miles on them and still have lots of tread left. hardly any noise that the stereo cant drown out and they perform very well. I tow a lot also almost always hitched to a trailer for work. I ran BFG on my previous Duramax and could never get more than 50,xxx miles out of them.

if going on a long trip to go hunting then ill drop them down to 65psi and its a smoother ride, towing 80 psi.

I think your gonna have a hard time finding stickier mud than this stuff in southern Idaho and I made some decent elevation gain. Nothing crazy steep, but 5-10% grade some places. Going downhill on the way out took some throttle because was so thickand sticky. Even my redneck cousins from GA that have mudding experience in Georgia red clay were impressed by how sticky it was. I'm running an old set of K02's at 5-7/32. Basically if you needed more grip, just spin the tires faster and get the lugs cleaned out. I'm sure full MT's would have gotten around better, but I was impressed by what I actually got through. Two guys where able to push me out the one time I slid into a deep ditch. My buddy high centered his Silverado in a ditch and I pulled him out without snatching even though the stuff was difficult to walk on for sticky slipperiness.
6fb04b3dd014e0687861dc7ff18bb340.jpg
7f499a3a0a025432af1907b83109d276.jpg
5eabbb213b3107a6684ab9f7286a97a8.jpg
57e6e163ee6e0ef4400b8aa265c09973.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I don't skimp on two things, tires and HD brake pads. I go places where failures can getcha killed. Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes for me. Pricey but have a 50,000 mile warranty and almost bulletproofView attachment 193708. Quiet on the highway, haven't been stuck yet.
I had those Toyo Open Country on my Ford Explorer SportTrac. Those tires were amazing! Could rail fwy interchanges at ridiculous speed, and was able to drive the whole North Main Divide road in D15 with my 2WD vehicle. Broke Loose when you wanted them too by applying right amount of gas on the dirt roads in Victorville Motorcycle riding area. And when they broke loose, they tracked well under power. It's not like once they broke loose the really let go like crazy.... instead, it was like you had to fight to keep 'em broke free and spinning because they tried really well to hook back up!

Yeah, they did well in that paint-eating red Arizona mud but to be clear, I am recommending the Xtremes, not the regular Open Country ATs. There is a difference, the Xtremes spit debris better.

qwerksc

WKR
I'm on my second set of Cooper At3, Put 50,000 on the first set, went for them again. 06 Ram 2500 4x4. Love these tires and the price is OK. new ones are xlt 11lbs lighter than the old version. Will buy again. I get out there, not just town tires.

On my second set of Nitto Ridge Graplers. First set got me right at 50K miles and also helped eliminate the death wobble on my stupid 2017 F250.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm on my second set of Cooper At3, Put 50,000 on the first set, went for them again. 06 Ram 2500 4x4. Love these tires and the price is OK. new ones are xlt 11lbs lighter than the old version. Will buy again. I get out there, not just town tires.
I have a problem with the Cooper AT3's holding on to gravel rocks for a long time before they finally pop out.

I was told at Tire Rama here where I live that Cooper Tires are going on sale July 20 on quite a few of their models. The ST Maxx is one of them and I'm getting a pair for my F150. It's buy 3 and get the 4th free!

Daubsnu1

FNG
I've fun Firestone and Goodyear on my 1/2 ton's, and tried Bridgestone on my 3/4 ton. Friend is service manager at local GM dealership...he recommended BFG AT's...I put them on my 2004 back in 2007...and got 65k miles on that set. Wonderful in wet and snow. Not to shabby in mud.

BFG's are all I will run any more.

EastMT

WKR
I have a problem with the Cooper AT3's holding on to gravel rocks for a long time before they finally pop out.

I run these as well, they are rock chuckers. First pair got 66k on 3/4 ton running at 65 PSI. I put small mud flaps front and back so I don’t chip up the cab corners, rot out. Also to save someone’s windshield behind me.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/60R20's. Most places had them for $212. Got them from Walmart online for $175.80 with free shipping. I got lucky, checked for rebates and SC was one of the States that has an $80 rebate on 4 tires. I did check out buying an extra set of rim's but they are more than the tires so I'm keeping it simple.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tjt0307

FNG
I run an aggressive Michelin and they’ve help up very well compared to the cooper ATPs I had before. I popped a brand new cooper on a twig...