New to antelope hunting

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I'm new to Rokslide and never hunted pronghorn. (Been hunting whitetails, black bear, and all manner of small game out east for 25+ years)

I'm not interested in necessarily getting a big buck as much as putting some meat on the table. I also have a wife that loves me SO MUCH that she doesn't like me gone all the time hunting... So long story, short: what are my options for maximizing chance for success statistically speaking?

I may try to plan a multi-species trip out west and add pronghorn on the tail end of that trip.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
If it's going to be your first western hunt, just get one tag, having two or more different species tags is going to have you spread too thin. Especially if you cant plan an extended (7+ days) trip. As most people will say, a Wyoming pronghorn trip will be you. You can try for a buck and a doe tag or two. That would be doable.

OP
Bärenjäger

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry that was misleading. I will be having a 10-day hunt. The thought was IF I achieve success early in that hunt to get ambitious and try to get a bonus antelope before heading home.

Well, the best way to start would be looking at the Wyoming Fish and Game website, specifically the Hunt Planner page. That will give you some ideas of units and the region wide deer tags. I'll assume you don't have any preference points currently?? If not your options are limited, might suggest if you do like to meat to put in for an antelope doe tag and then whatever else you want to be your 1st priority as far as hunting. You can still do it, especially with 10 days but it will take a bit of planning which you need to start now. Would of been better to get started 6 months ago;)

iaff3666

FNG
apply for doe tags for the an area with limited access. that's what I did for my 1st western hunt. buy a point for future hunts. buy left overs for neighboring units 10 days is plenty of time to fill doe tags in limited access areas.......enjoy, its addicting. I wish I would have started when I was younger!

OP
Bärenjäger

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. The mule deer hunt I've been planning is in Idaho. THAT is the main purpose for the trip. Doing a spring bear hunt in May there this year as well. Those trips take lots of time with the added drive time from Indiana. Hence the wife not wanting me gone for another trip for antelope. I already know this is a long shot. But a man can dream!

And I'm fairly certain I'll be postponing antelope until 2021.

Rich M

WKR
You need to figure out the timing on the antelope season vs your mule deer hunt.

Then if you have 2 days you should be able to put an antelope down - you will probably do the doe tag cause dropping $350 on a "maybe" tag seems wasteful. So you apply to a couple of units for a doe tag, hit there on your way out or back and collect you an antelope.

I've done both hunts - antelope took 20 minutes, mule deer took 6 days. You'll be fine. Enjoy your trips.

Yarbs003

Lil-Rokslider
As guys have already mentioned I would suggest doing a doe tag or two. Cheap and fairly easy to draw. Also don’t over look the Access Yes program in Wyoming. WFG has a pretty slick interactive map with rules and regs for each HMA. Quite a few HMAs offer unlimited permits, especially for antelope. Enjoy!