New to Archery

So I'm looking to get into archery this year. Probably wont put in for a tag for a year or two until I get it down and have shot enough to be comfortable with it. But what is a place to start. Some of my archery shops near by are still closed others are open but for repairs and existing orders.

Any information on where to start or how to start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Don't go to a big box stores. Go to a local shop with good reviews. Do some research and figure out your budget before you walk in the door. Almost everyone on here can give you an accurate estimate for what you are looking at for a full setup. Every November last year's models go for great deals. It would be a good idea to know what you want now if that is your strategy. It is also a better idea to buy last year's flagship than a box stores budget packaged accessories setup. Many times you can purchase a used bow that is fully set up.

406unltd

WKR
Before purchasing anything I’d listen to some people who know what’s up with hunting setups on podcasts, YouTube or whatever. Research what they are talking about and become familiar with the lingo and reasons behind why choosing the correct items is a important part of the process. Once you have gained enough confidence to search for you equipment you’d like to use then you can start. Figure out your draw length and get a bow sized appropriately. Long draw= long ata bow. Short draw= short ata bow. Unless your tree stand hunting then find a maneuverable one ie shorter. Have a pro shop set you up with correct arrow spine for what type of setup you want to shoot. I recommend finding an arrow that has a decent speed, not too fast or too slow. Heavy -slower, more penetration, less affected my elements, quieter bows / light-fast..... a happy medium should get you around 265-285fps a great place to be for speed and gives you plenty of wiggle room if you have a short draw or can only pull lighter weight. Once you know the weight of the arrow you’ll need to achieve your desired speed then you can figure out what type of arrow and components you’d like to use to get Get lessons from someone who knows what they are doing. Preferably a Pro shop employee or a friend. Spend time with these people as much as possible and learn to shoot correctly and not develop bad habits that encourage target panic. We can go down quite the rabbit hole here but the short version is this-

Get a bow setup correctly, including arrows that are matched to your setup and have these tuned to shoot out of your bow.

Shoot the bow with proper guidance and repeat this step until you are confident enough to either take the next step and shoot 3D leagues and or hunt.

I’m no pro and this is a very quick and off the cuff answer to your very broad question. But it’ll get you going in the general direction. Listen to those podcasts. Kifarucast is great. Nock on YouTube is good, and the info between those two alone will help you out a lot with the intricate world of archery.

good luck

Beendare

WKR
Its just like anything...be an educated consumer and don't take something pushed on you because its 'in stock'

Some great bow setup vids on youtube by pro archers.

Then go to a good shop that takes the time to set you up right.

Most rookies miss 3 key ingredients; Learn proper form, tune your bow for BH's....and make sure your arrows are assembled perfectly. Entire books have been written on those 3 topics....

_____

KBC

WKR
I'm almost 3 years into the archery journey. I bought a few years old higher end bow used for a good deal. I went to a shop with a good reputation and bought it there. He set it up to fit me and gave me a lesson. I followed the advice given already and watched a lot of youtube, listened to podcasts and shot as much as I could. I think this is the best route to take-buy a good used bow to start and then learn as much as you can. Then at least you are starting with decent equipment but the price is similar to a new lower end bow.

Until you shoot a bunch and learn a bunch you won't really know what you want in a bow. This year I upgraded to a new bow and am just waiting for a few components in the mail to finish the new arrows to go with it. I still have lots to learn but with the couple years of shooting and learning experience, I think I'm in a much better spot picking the gear I want to use.

Buy a good used bow (5 years old would be cheap and good quality) and shoot, read, watch and listen. Be careful though-the amount of time I think about archery is rivalling the amount of time I think about hunting and sex. ;)

Zac

WKR
You might want to go to a reputable shop and get your draw length measured so you know what you are looking for. I think a good rule of thumb is to not get a shorter axle to axle than your draw. So for instance if your draw length is 30 inches, you wouldn't want to shoot a 28 inch axle bow. Knowing your draw is also helpful for picking a particular bow.

drose

FNG
I will echo what has been said above, all great advice. I'm about year 4 into the rabbit hole and would have completely changed the way I started archery. Don't worry about hunting right now unless you can get a friend to get you on some pigs or something.
Lessons I learned:
- Research before hand - know the lingo - know the affects of different features: to keep it simple think about your draw length and how smooth of a draw the bow is. Make sure a shop lowers your draw weight maybe around 50.
- don't get caught up in all the Bull about maxing out draw length, yet. keep it light and practice practice practice
- Dont buy on your first trip in, visit a few and shoot as many bows as you can.
- Pick a shop you can see yourself coming back to, you should feel like the guys want to keep you in archery rather than sell a bow.
- If possible shoot bows and get a used one off the classified ads
- Nock on has been the best podcast (earlier podcasts, not so much present) to learn about archery, then I'd say Kifarucast (probably my favorite, non bias and no bullshit)

good luck my friend! Its a hell of a ride

Reactions: Zac
OP
Sbarrera185
Cool thanks guys, I'm not planning a hunt this year. I'll try to get familiar with the set up and practice practice practice. Since I am a CO resident I will probably try and get an OTC tag for 2021 or just use that year to keep practicing. And since I'm a "first gen" hunter it's kinda tough to get tips from friends or family, they think I'm crazy for going into the mountains for 5 days with a rifle and now they think I'm alot crazier trying to do it with a bow and arrow lol.

Thanks for the tips guys

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Why not go this year? Buy a used bow and learn as you go. My first bow, I was in college and bought a used PSE off ebay. started shooting and learned as I went. I made some big mistakes and learned from them.

My first year I killed a nice buck at 12 yds with my bow.

You don't need top of the line or brand new to get started. If you buy cheap used you will be able to sell it for just about what you paid. When your ready upgrade your stuff and you won't be behind financially. Find a local 3D club and join, you'll meet people as well.

Get out there and do it, lots of time to practice before the fall. If you can only hit a pie plate at 20 yds by this fall then limit yourself to 20 yds. No reason not to get out there and hunt, it will give you a whole year of experience, do not wait.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice so far in here. I’m about a year and a half into archery/bow hunting myself, and like you, I’m a first gen hunter. I can’t recommend finding a GOOD shop enough. My local shop has been absolutely incredible with all the help, support, and EDUCATION they’ve provided. I’d also suggest you find/join some local clubs. Again, there’s a wealth of knowledge to be found there, and the community support has been the best of any sport I’ve participated in.
Idk about your budget and spending habits, but definitely be mindful of that.
I started with a decent midrange package that wouldve undoubtedly seen me through several years. I’m also a gear wh*re and jumped down that rabbit hole head first. Been through several bows now (trying to find exactly what I like/having fun), but that’s definitely NOT an option for everyone. So REALLY try to test out a bunch of bows; they’re (almost) all fantastic machines, but you need to get the feel for what attributes/qualities matter to you. No wrong answer there, but of the dozens of options, try to narrow down some general points. Again, good shops will help you test and UNDERSTAND these points.

Zac

WKR
I will echo what has been said above, all great advice. I'm about year 4 into the rabbit hole and would have completely changed the way I started archery. Don't worry about hunting right now unless you can get a friend to get you on some pigs or something.
Lessons I learned:
- Research before hand - know the lingo - know the affects of different features: to keep it simple think about your draw length and how smooth of a draw the bow is. Make sure a shop lowers your draw weight maybe around 50.
- don't get caught up in all the Bull about maxing out draw length, yet. keep it light and practice practice practice
- Dont buy on your first trip in, visit a few and shoot as many bows as you can.
- Pick a shop you can see yourself coming back to, you should feel like the guys want to keep you in archery rather than sell a bow.
- If possible shoot bows and get a used one off the classified ads
- Nock on has been the best podcast (earlier podcasts, not so much present) to learn about archery, then I'd say Kifarucast (probably my favorite, non bias and no bullshit)

good luck my friend! Its a hell of a ride
I would start watching School of Nock, great starting platform. This way you can avoid bad habits from the start.

The one thing I would add is don't get caught up in the hype of having to have all the latest and greatest gear. You can hunt and kill animals with a 10 year old bow, in cotton clothing, sneakers on your feet, without a single gps, fancy mapping app, or $200 backpack. It's been done countless times. Your proficiency at hunting and shooting is what matters. Those other things are fun and nice, but no amount of those will make you a better hunter.

Mackerel

FNG
To add on to @wildhorsetrail humans have been killing beasts with a stick and string for thousands of years. The latest and greatest doesn’t always mean “best”

Scout44

FNG
I’ve also just started the ok’ stick and string this year, and I’m only three months in. Talking to some archers lately, I’ve been told shooting is the easy part; meaning, the packing out and butchering the meat is the real work. I’m curious how some of you feel about that?

I want to echo Zac. I too, am just getting back into archery for the first time since I was 17 and I have found that John Dudley's School of Nock series has been really helpful for me. I can't recommend it enough. Now I'm on the look out for one of the nock on silverback tension based releases to improve me training.

qwerksc

WKR
Start shooting, don't stop, don't think archery is seasonal. Become a good "Archer" That will help with becoming a good "Bowhunter". Watch some InsideOutArchery on Youtube. Learn about the gear. Stay on Rokslide, Check out Archerytalk.