New to archery

yungsmaug

FNG
I'm brand new to archery, hoping to get good enough and bow hunt next year. I bought a 2017 Prime Centergy to learn with. Any advice for newbie? Also, what do I need in regards of a license, tags, safety certification, in California? I'm completely lost with the regulations as of now. Thank you in advance!

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! For CA; hunter safety course, a bowhunter safety course would benefit you as well, pick a zone, purchase a tag.

Shoot a ton, several days a week if possible. Different positions, wearing a pack, wide variety of distances, etc. Tune your set up for perfect broadhead flight.

I personally find shooting at 3d targets is more beneficial than paper targets. There are various clubs around the state that put on 3d shoots. Join the California Bowman Hunters, they have most of the meets, ranges, etc, available online or in their flier.

Finding a mentor would be very beneficial as well.

Good luck!

OP
Y

yungsmaug

FNG
Welcome! For CA; hunter safety course, a bowhunter safety course would benefit you as well, pick a zone, purchase a tag.

Shoot a ton, several days a week if possible. Different positions, wearing a pack, wide variety of distances, etc. Tune your set up for perfect broadhead flight.

I personally find shooting at 3d targets is more beneficial than paper targets. There are various clubs around the state that put on 3d shoots. Join the California Bowman Hunters, they have most of the meets, ranges, etc, available online or in their flier.

Finding a mentor would be very beneficial as well.

Good luck!
Thanks Rob. I appreciate the info and advice!

nexus

FNG
What area of California? Southern, Central, Northern, Coastal, Eastern Sierras...etc?

I would second the recommendation to find a mentor. The easiest way to do that is either join a club or become a regular at a range. Most bow hunters want to introduce guys into the sport, but you have to show dedication and consistency to become "one of the guys" at the range. Over time you will gain their trust and you will not be able to shut most of them up.

A word or caution though; it should go without saying, any locations or trips that a mentor takes you on should be regarded as sacred. Like fishing, you never take other people to a location a mentor has shared. As you will find as you progress as a bow hunter, it take s a lot of time and effort to gather the information a mentor can pass on quickly to a protege - it takes only a moment to ruin a good thing.

OP
Y

yungsmaug

FNG
What area of California? Southern, Central, Northern, Coastal, Eastern Sierras...etc?

I would second the recommendation to find a mentor. The easiest way to do that is either join a club or become a regular at a range. Most bow hunters want to introduce guys into the sport, but you have to show dedication and consistency to become "one of the guys" at the range. Over time you will gain their trust and you will not be able to shut most of them up.

A word or caution though; it should go without saying, any locations or trips that a mentor takes you on should be regarded as sacred. Like fishing, you never take other people to a location a mentor has shared. As you will find as you progress as a bow hunter, it take s a lot of time and effort to gather the information a mentor can pass on quickly to a protege - it takes only a moment to ruin a good thing.
I dont know exactly where id like to hunt yet. I know id want to hunt wild pig, and turkey first. eventually id like to hunt blacktail and elk. If you have any recommendations im very open. Thanks for the advice !

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good info here for you. Definitely watch John Dudley's School of Nok on YouTube its excellent. Follow it and you will start from the ground up with super fundamentals.

Here's my recommendation - make sure you have a steady income to support all the new gear you'll want to buy when you get hooked on archery hunting!!! There's nothing quite like it but it can get expensive. It will most likely take you several years to figure out what you are doing if you can't find someone (like a mentor) to show you the ropes.

OP
Y

yungsmaug

FNG
A lot of good info here for you. Definitely watch John Dudley's School of Nok on YouTube its excellent. Follow it and you will start from the ground up with super fundamentals.
Sounds good. I've already started watching a lot of his videos thanks for the recommendation!