New to Backcountry hunting - critique and what to add

D_Eightch

WKR
So I have been acquiring gear for my Elk hunting trip next September in Idaho. I will also use this gear in western nodak after mule deer. I will list what I, along with what i plan on buying. Let me know what i should add or what os overkill.

From the ground up

Already purchased:
Crispi Idaho GTX
Darn tough (3x)
Kanab 2.0 (2x in case a rip a pair or whatever)
Kuiu 145 merino 1/4 zip
Cirrus Puffy
Kuiu 145 beanie
Mesh back cap for when it warms up and keep sun out of eyes
For rain gear i already have a set of Marmot Precip...not sure that i need to upgrade for sure.

Planned to buy
A pair of above the boot merino bottoms
Pair of merino boxers
1 short sleeve merino top
1 more long sleeve 1/4 or 1/2 zip merino top
Possibly get the sawtooth and swap out the cirrus (or bring both? Not sure if they can be layered if its ver cold) or i was thinking the hood would be nice if its breezy vs the cirrus.

Not sure if i should add a softshell instead of the sawtooth? I just dont like how loud the cirrus is if things get serious in a hurry. Sawtooth says its quiet enough and im a fan of wool

Will also add a pair of gloves to the mix, not sure which. I like the fingerless wool idea. Along with another pair for glassing cool mornings.

pwsINC

WKR
the upper body kit I'm in love with is 2x light merino. a fleece and then puffy. been pretty happy with that set up all fall and everything up to timberline. above timberline want another layer to cut wind.

seems like your Set up or planned to be pretty good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I have been acquiring gear for my Elk hunting trip next September in Idaho. I will also use this gear in western nodak after mule deer. I will list what I, along with what i plan on buying. Let me know what i should add or what os overkill.

From the ground up

Already purchased:
Crispi Idaho GTX
Darn tough (3x)
Kanab 2.0 (2x in case a rip a pair or whatever)
Kuiu 145 merino 1/4 zip
Cirrus Puffy
Kuiu 145 beanie
Mesh back cap for when it warms up and keep sun out of eyes
For rain gear i already have a set of Marmot Precip...not sure that i need to upgrade for sure.

Planned to buy
A pair of above the boot merino bottoms
Pair of merino boxers
1 short sleeve merino top
1 more long sleeve 1/4 or 1/2 zip merino top
Possibly get the sawtooth and swap out the cirrus (or bring both? Not sure if they can be layered if its ver cold) or i was thinking the hood would be nice if its breezy vs the cirrus.

Not sure if i should add a softshell instead of the sawtooth? I just dont like how loud the cirrus is if things get serious in a hurry. Sawtooth says its quiet enough and im a fan of wool

Will also add a pair of gloves to the mix, not sure which. I like the fingerless wool idea. Along with another pair for glassing cool mornings.

The extra pair of Kanabs I would leave in the truck instead of packing in with me. I'd add up a FL halstead fleece, or similar fleece shirt. I'm pretty religious on bringing a down jacket on every trip, and not so much a fan of soft shells for packing in. Just never seem to wear them. The sawtooth would be a good addition and used in my mind as a layer underneath the cirrus. Then you'd have the cirrus and rain gear as outer layers. The sawtooth is similar to the Kryptek model that I've used quite a bit, and always used it under my puffy.

IMO with a merino base, fleece, sawtooth, cirrus and rain gear you'll be able to get through anything you'd get thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I'm sitting here wearing a K**u Peleton 1/2 zip hoody that I bought on their website for around 1/2 price (the ONLY way I'll buy K**U stuff) and I have 2 more (1/2 price too) in packages because this is the handiest and most comfortable light shirt I've ever worn, was in Hayden ID all last week in some pretty chilly weather, outside most of the time, one day I skipped the undershirt (small mistake but I was still comfortable) - IceBreaker has some great SS tee shirts that I love too - I'd get more than just 1 pair of merino boxers (just me) and I have to say that the Exoficcio boxers I've been wearing steadily are pretty darn nice (that tip came off Rokslide) - the "big three" all make good stuff, S***A fits the closest to size FME, K**U runs small and FL goes large, at least for me - You are on the right track with good gear though - I feel the same as most about Puffy coats, would never be without one