New to backcountry hunting!

OP
Seay

Seay

FNG
Keep an eye on the classifieds here. With this much time to prepare, you should be able to fill out your kit picking up used gear that is still in great shape!

With just starting planning I think I have set on that exo K3 4800 pack and so far I am pretty sure finding a used one is going to be near impossible. Other than the pack it looks like as long as I am patient you are right I should be able to snag some quality gear and avoid the new price tags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
If there are 4 of you guys going I would definitely pair off. You will figure out if you don't "click" with someone really fast in the backcountry.

With just starting planning I think I have set on that exo K3 4800 pack and so far I am pretty sure finding a used one is going to be near impossible. Other than the pack it looks like as long as I am patient you are right I should be able to snag some quality gear and avoid the new price tags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exo runs a sale around Black Friday just FYI

Eyeman

FNG
I agree with Maverick and Supertag.
Get a Lightweight bag and light weight pack and rain gear, then go from there.
Then focus on where and how to Hunt.
You can really get caught up in the gear game.
With that said I sure like all of the new lightweight stuff out there. Wish I would have had lighter stuff years ago.
All of this is just my opinion.
Have fun and good Hunting!

Go to Search, Type in your questions and go investigate! 90% of anything you will ever want to know is already in here.

Boots close to the top priority and already mentioned...

Invest in several pieces and weights (150, 250, etc...) of merino wool for your layering system.
-Socks!!! Darn Tough brand sells mutliple weights to match weather and activity levels
-Base layers (quarter zips, hoodies, and long johns)
-Underwear

Invest in a quality Gore-Tex lined parka.

Gaiters- I love my Kennetreks

The guides we hunted with all wore old school wool pants and wool flannels when it was cold. They're expensive, but tough, water resistant, and warm. Big Bill, Woolrich, and Pendleton are good brands.

Any suggestions on the balance of sock weight/heat and cushion? With sweaty feet I’m nervous about heavyweight socks but feel like the cushion could be helpful.

fmyth

WKR
Any suggestions on the balance of sock weight/heat and cushion? With sweaty feet I’m nervous about heavyweight socks but feel like the cushion could be helpful.
I wear Darn Tough full boot cushion socks for all seasons and carry a spare pair in my pack. If I sweat hiking in I change to the dry pair. Damp socks = cold feet for me.

I'm not so sure on the cushion, but I have pretty tough feet. The typical darn tough merinos worked well for me this year.

My main sock suggestion is to bring three pairs, two to rotate for walking and one pair only for sleeping (if packing in) and to guard that pair with your life.

Nwihunter

FNG
Leuko tape can be an absolute life saver. Side hilling and climbing steep terrain can give your feet blisters that hiking flat ground won’t. Also I think you will be very happy with the EXO pack. I have one and have packed a few elk out with it. They are not cheap but worth every penny.

DeePow

FNG
As others have stated boots should come first with a pack and base layers to follow to ensure your comfort level. I’d also suggest talking with your group about water filtration. If I am going bivy camping I use a Sawyer Squeeze with a Smart Water bottle. Longer trips I take my Katadyn Gravity or buddy’s Hiker.

I’d also suggest starting to build your ‘trunk’ muscles know to ensure your back doesn’t get fatigued with a heavy pack. Also, shoot with a heavy pack on to get used to the feeling.

Do you own / have you looked into a bino harness? This was my fourth year hunting elk and my first I didn’t have a harness and never used my binos. I continue to glass more every year and continue to get more and more activity because I eye them up, allowing myself to create a plan. Again, shoot with this on because it may alter your draw process.

I’ll continue to ponder