New to Backpack Hunting: Check List

Jax

FNG
I am brand new to bow hunting, western big game hunting and backpacking in general. I have been doing a lot of research trying to find a good check list to use when purchasing gear. Let me know if I am missing a category or if it all looks good. Thanks for your help.

-Sleep system
-Clothing
-Food
-Water
-Cooking System
-Navigation
-Optics
-Hygiene kit
-Survival kit
-Kill kit
-First aid kit
-Bow kit
-Personal kit

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am no expert by any means. But the two most important to me are Backpack and sleeping bag. I have used a lot of crappy ones and can tell you it's cheaper just to buy high end gear from the start if you can.

Backpack, Kifaru or Mistery Ranch
Sleeping bag, Marmot or Western mountaineering
Tent, Kifaru supertarp

This gear will not let you down. For the rest of your list, I am sure others will chime in.

OP
J

Jax

FNG
I already have backpack and sleeping system covered which was the easiest and first gear to get.

I mean more along the lines am I missing a crucial category? or have I added a unnecessary one?

Like do you bring a full first aid kit or just a roll of duct tape and super glue?

Sleep System - Kifaru, Western Mountaineering, Marmot, Montbell and several others all make good sleeping bags. Try to find one that 1. Is the size you need 2. The temp range to keep you comfortable 3. Weight to carry 4. Type of insulation you want, and 5. In your price range
I prefer an air mattress, but let your comfort be your guide.

Clothing - Lots of options. Basically cotton is severely frowned upon. I am a fan on First Lite, and KUIU among others. There are a lot of good options from strictly backpacking companies too.

Food - Consensus opinion is that meals such as Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc are pretty good. If it does not have 100 calories per ounce I don''t waste time with it.

Water - Your going to need it! A reputable bladder manufacturer and filter/water drops/purification system of your choice.

Cooking System - Again many options, but I think the canister stoves are probably most popular. I prefer the Pocket Rocket or MicroRocket coupled with a titanium pot.

Navigation - GPS, map and compass for me.

Optics - Generally buy the best you can afford. Even the mid level glass is pretty good nowadays.

Hygiene Kit - Sea to Summitt powder soap stuff works well, or wet wipes and a creek bath

Survival Kit - My backpacking gear....I don't carry a separate kit.

Kill Kit - I always have a knife and game bags in my pack

First Aid Kit - Duct tape (other uses too), glue, and pain pills

Bow Kit - An extra setup string, and three allen wrenches.

I would recommend a good pack as well. Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Crooked Horn, Badlands, Eberlestock all make good packs in various price ranges

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
-Sleep system- I use a TiGoat Vertex 5, first season with it as the shelter. Last year used an Alps Mountaineering Pad, moving up to a NeoAir this year. I have an old Downright mummy bag that has served me well, but I plan an upgrade to a Kifaru in the next year or two.
-Clothing- 100% Polyester stuff from Kings, Under Armor Cold gear tops, 100% Polyester long underwear.
-Food- 1 Mountain House Entree per day, as well as several types of granola bars, etc. Planning to make some of my own this year to try out.
-Water- Katadyn Vario, as well as Iodine Tablets(double as a disinfectant for a large area in the event of a catastrophe).
-Cooking System- I have two Primus stoves, cant recall the smaller, but my first was the Yellowstone classic. I have the cheap Wal-Mart Coleman pots.
-Navigation-Map of the area I am in as well my Garmin GPS.
-Optics- Leupold 10x42, Swarovski ATM 20-60-65
-Hygiene kit- Soap for the hands after the kill, and some wet wipes. Contact case and contacts also.
-Survival kit-I keep a knife and matches in my pocket, etc.
-Kill kit- Offbrand knife, considering an upgrade to a Havalon.
-First aid kit-Aleve and allergy medication.
-Bow kit- Appropriate Allen Wrenches

Kifaru Longhunter Guide is what Hauls it. Cargo panel comes along as well.

License/permits
Backpack
Shelter

You may be including these items within some category already on your list but if not here they are. Also, you might think about listing each item within each category so nothing gets left out of a category. Such as "Kill kit"=knife, saw, game bags. But what are you gonna hang the quarters with to allow them to cool before putting into a game bag, what about game bags? What about a emergency blanket to lay the meat out while you break it down? These are just some things to think about. Mike

eagle2012

FNG
I am brand new to bow hunting, western big game hunting and backpacking in general. I have been doing a lot of research trying to find a good check list to use when purchasing gear. Let me know if I am missing a category or if it all looks good. Thanks for your help.

-Sleep system
-Clothing
-Food
-Water
-Cooking System
-Navigation
-Optics
-Hygiene kit
-Survival kit
-Kill kit
-First aid kit
-Bow kit
-Personal kit

Hey Jax....
If you just want a basic survival kit to add to your gear, you might just want to get a pre made one. I had some stuff I had put together for my house and truck, but then I ended up cannibalizing it for my camping supplies. The one I got was a 4 person one, although I only needed it for me. But it was a better price than if I bought more single kits. You can read about it here if you like. http://disasterbugout.com/4-person-survival-kit-deluxe/