NEW to Backpack Hunting what shelter is best.

Englishjc

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everyone,

I am starting to backpack hunt and want to know why you would choose a tipi tent without a stove jack. I feel as though the benefits to the tipi tents make it perfect for a wood stove but why would you want one without the stove jack?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wouldn’t get one without a stove Jack. Even if you don’t always want to use a stove it’s nice to have the option.

Beendare

WKR
There is no such thing as one perfect shelter. I have a Tipi with a stove but sometimes I choose to go with my ultralight Tarptent instead.

Some hunts I just don’t spend a lot of time in my shelter so the extra weight of the bigger TP and stove is a waste to carry

Hey Everyone,

I am starting to backpack hunt and want to know why you would choose a tipi tent without a stove jack. I feel as though the benefits to the tipi tents make it perfect for a wood stove but why would you want one without the stove jack?

Dry conditions = no stove. Wet (high moisture) conditions = stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutHeavy

FNG
I think there's two answers to your question. First an advantage that tipi tents have over lightweight freestanding or semi-free standing comparables is that they tend to offer a larger footprint and better head room. Second, if you're not hunting seasons/areas where low temps are a concern then there likely isn't a need for a stove.

PlanoDano

FNG
Some hunters find themselves making camp after the sun has set and breaking camp well before sunrise. A large foot print reduces the number of possible campsites. Dealing with a stove is going to take time in effort both when you set up and tear down camp.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Endless variables dictate how, where, when, trip length, etc.

If you just started, you might not have had the pain of carrying gear that you didn't really need. I have ditched a lot of "essentials" over the years.