New to backpack hunting

Brandon33

FNG
Hey guys, this deer season I’ll be doing my first backpack bow hunt for whitetail in Kentucky solo. Do u guys have any suggestions or advice for someone doing this alone? Also bag suggestions would be nice, I was thinking Kifaru reckoning they seem like well built bags.

OP
B

Brandon33

FNG
Learn to backpack before you go backpack hunting. A simple 3 day hike will give you a good idea of gear needed.

Definitely will, I’ve asked around to see if anyone wanted to go and it’s so hard to find anyone willing to backpack too. So I’m in this by myself lol

Definitely will, I’ve asked around to see if anyone wanted to go and it’s so hard to find anyone willing to backpack too. So I’m in this by myself lol

welcome.

a big fan of solo trips here. Check out the backpacker.com. Solid advice for getting started. I agree with a couple of tune ups before you try to hunt to get your backpacking gear sorted. You May look into a guided trip to get started more easily and learn a few things. Local REI or other places put together regional trips that can be a good intro. Get a few nights in the woods under your belt and then the transition to hunting will be easy. don’t go too deep down the ultra lightweight rabbit hole. Some of that gear is great but it is $$$ and some of it isn’t as durable as you might like for hunting.

figure out navigation both a gps and map. Classes and books are good but experience is key.

fitness And preparation - don’t underestimate how tough it is to haul a quartered deer over terrain and off trail. Take it easy and plan you route well. Marking tape and reflective tacks or zip ties are a great addition to your kill kit to help find your way too and from your site.

packs - depending on the length of your trip and how heavy you pack, you will want somethiPeng 40-70 liters. Kifaru has great options. MR sawtooth, selway and Metcalf are good choices too. If you don’t want to spend that much, a commercial backpacking pack would be fine for starters too.

good luck

I’m guessing Kentucky has several backpacking groups on FB that schedule group outings. Find those and go with a group.

I’d recommend two trips before you start hunting. One trip for a night or two. Figure out what doesn’t work and needs to be replaced and what can stay home. Then go again after you have had time to make the changes.

Bucke13

FNG
I didnt see it mentioned anywhere here i dont think. Plan what you pack very strictly. If you are packing long distance or plan on wearing the pack every day every ounce counts. Its crazy even what 1 bottle of water feels like after backpacking 12-14 miles in a day. Hope this was helfpful.

RCB

WKR
If you are new to backpacking, which brand you buy is probably the least of your worries. Pick any quality backpack that fits your needs. Most importantly, try to get some experience being “out there” before season starts.

Staghorn

FNG
Also from KY. Have a Reckoning and it’s solid. Lots of good packs out there, just depends on what you need. If you want a Kifaru (or any high end brand for that matter), I’d contact them and see what they recommend for how you intend to hunt. Is backpacking in general new to you? PM me if you want. Same to you @Yettiluke

Last edited:

DESERT ED

FNG
My advice is to keep it simple. Think of it as a special time without some of the things we think we need so much. Good boots. Good food. Good book. Good nightcap. Easy. Enjoy your alone time.

Im roughly 50 miles north of Louisville and also looking into this style of hunting!
Hey guys, this deer season I’ll be doing my first backpack bow hunt for whitetail in Kentucky solo. Do u guys have any suggestions or advice for someone doing this alone? Also bag suggestions would be nice, I was thinking Kifaru reckoning they seem like well built bags.
Any luck on your hunt so far this year? Any advice for someone also getting started into this style hunting now that you have done it?

sb7000

FNG
Kifaru packs would be a fantastic choice. A range finder and good optics are quite key. You can also never have enough wind checkers.

I have used kuiu pro lt 4000 gear back w a meat shelf, its exception and around/under 4 lbs. use this code for your purchase with $50 off. Clicl the link and they will email you a checkout code. have a good one guys