New to backpacks, kifaru or Mystery Ranch

Johbran

Lil-Rokslider
I am brand new to the backpacking game and going Elk hunting in Wyoming. Need to pick up and bag and have it down to Kifaru 44 mag or the MR beartooth 80. Pros and cons for each?

Jimss

WKR
My vote goes for Kifaru as well. Lots and lots of accessory and bag options that you can customize for your particular use. The comfort of the belt and shoulder straps on the Kifaru is pretty tough to beat.

I'm sure MR has changed materials but the old MR used to be super heavy. I would take a look at weights. Although I'm a Kifaru fan you may also take a look at Stone Glacier. They are lighter weight than Kifaru and a bit different. SG didn't come in camo so that's one of my deciding factors to pick Kifaru. If you are going to haul hefty elk loads I would recommend the longest Kifaru frame available so you get the full benefit of taller load lifters. Another pack that gets a lot of rave reviews are the Barney Packs out of Alaska.

LandYacht

WKR
One of both.

I have a Kifaru KU5200 that has been going strong for a decade. The company builds a great pack.

I have a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 that is much newer with the Guide Light frame. I haven’t had it nearly as long, but the pack appears to be just as well built.

I wish MR was still USA made. That would be the tie breaker for me as the packs are both quality made.

Don’t fret the which is better, get the one that you like. They are both going to serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned a couple of Mystery Ranch packs and could never get used to the adjustable yoke receiver in the middle of my back. Drove me nuts....so I sold them and bought a Kifaru Frame and multiple bags....much more comfortable for me...that is what should drive your decision IMO out of the gate. Will I be comfortable with this pack on my back during my entire hunt?

LSHD69

FNG
I'm new to it too. Can't speak to the Kifaru; but I recently bought the Beartooth 80 (price was a consideration as I got 25% off. Very happy with it.

Kitten

FNG
My vote goes for Kifaru as well. Lots and lots of accessory and bag options that you can customize for your particular use. The comfort of the belt and shoulder straps on the Kifaru is pretty tough to beat.

I'm sure MR has changed materials but the old MR used to be super heavy. I would take a look at weights. Although I'm a Kifaru fan you may also take a look at Stone Glacier. They are lighter weight than Kifaru and a bit different. SG didn't come in camo so that's one of my deciding factors to pick Kifaru. If you are going to haul hefty elk loads I would recommend the longest Kifaru frame available so you get the full benefit of taller load lifters. Another pack that gets a lot of rave reviews are the Barney Packs out of Alaska.
I got the Sky 5900 and wish it came in more options. The foliage gray isn't too bad though. I do think having accessory pockets is cool though.

Definitely no reason to limit yourself to Kifaru and MR. Stone Glacier, Exo and Seek Outside all make great packs as well. If it matters to you, all of these packs except MR are made in the USA. I own a Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo, all great packs, all are great for packing loads heavier than I'm comfortable packing. Don't know where the OP is located, but the best route for finding the pack that's right for you is by trying on as many as you can, which means either buying them or borrowing them. Ask around your hunting community and find out who has a pack you could try on, put 50 pounds in and hike a mile. Make a post on Rokslide looking for other hunters in your area that have a pack they would let you borrow. The other option is to do your online research and then pick one or three to purchase, test and then return the ones that didn't meet your expectations, kind of like boots.

Last edited:
I owned a couple of Mystery Ranch packs and could never get used to the adjustable yoke receiver in the middle of my back. Drove me nuts....so I sold them and bought a Kifaru Frame and multiple bags....much more comfortable for me...that is what should drive your decision IMO out of the gate. Will I be comfortable with this pack on my back during my entire hunt?
Same here, and didn’t do near as well with a heavy load either. Kifaru all the way for me between the 2.

I still like the pop up from MR, but for full frames, I like my kifaru way more

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
how do badlands packs/ gear stack up? I get a discount on them as well as MR with the discount being a good chunk more for badlands gear.

Also what MR or Kifaru packs would you suggest? I'm planning for only needing a smaller day style pack, but if there is a medium size pack that might be better in case I do need to pack in some gear.

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend Kifaru, As you can pretty much adjust the frame to meet your exact needs. Every body's individual body is different this allowed me the capability to form the frame to fit me. And its a lifetime saver and you know there customer service is top notch.

You first need to find the frame that is most comfortable to your body, no matter who the manufacturer is. Try on as many as you can, with some weight, to see what feels best to you. I know that's easier said than done. For me, that's Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT. For others, it's SG, Kifaru, Evo, whatever. It's very subjective to each individual's body shape. Choosing a bag for that frame is secondary to making sure you get a great fit.

I am brand new to the backpacking game and going Elk hunting in Wyoming. Need to pick up and bag and have it down to Kifaru 44 mag or the MR beartooth 80. Pros and cons for each?
Check out exo MTn and blacks creek as well! The make pretty packs.

JoeDirt

WKR
Mystery Ranch is sold at big box stores now, I would just say get one of those bags. You can always sell it or hand it down or keep is as a spare and upgrade to a KIfaru in the future once you know what you want.

I have a few bags and the extras come in handy when a hunting buddy forgets their pack frames....lol

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I run multiple MR packs and they have performed flawlessly for me.....they are built tough as hell and handle heavy loads very well. Brother runs kifaru and really likes it