New to baiting

dmjojump

FNG
Hello, this is going to be my first attempt at baiting bears in Wyoming. I have been around it before, just never tried it myself. The dilemma I am having is that the sites I wanted were taken so I got areas close to them. I was wondering if using a smaller test bait would be the way to go before I set up my barrels? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Josh

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Josh, I wouldn't skimp on bait - especially if you have competition in the area. Bait sites improve with age typically so don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot of action right away. Bears will get accustomed to feeding there and over time (years), more bears will discover your site. Hang some good "stink" out and get your barrel set up and loaded. Try to find a site where natural thermals can carry the scent for long distances preferably into more remote areas where you can pull bears from.

Coop

Floorguy

WKR
I wouldn't do a test bait. I use popcorn get 3 air poppers and fill trash bags its cheap tons of bulk and you can pour other scents on it and it will hold it good. http://baitem907.com has awesome scents their bait balls are really popular up here they have beads like bath beads filled with scents that you can toss around to spread the scent they also have black death its a kind of cell you smear on logs where a bear might step then they spread your scent for you.

Foldem

WKR
Guys, I've never baited and have a question. Do bears that have been eating on baits taste as good as bears that have been eating grass and herbs? I know it probably depends on what you're baiting with, but just curious since I've never hunted or eaten bear.

Thanks,

Kevin

Floorguy

WKR
Depends on what the bait is kinda the you are what you eat kinda thing.

Another tip I try to do when setting up a station is have it near some form of water preferably a stream the noise of the water helps mask your sound also if the bait you use is dry they don't have to leave the area to get water so it keeps them in the area longer.

OP
dmjojump

dmjojump

FNG
Thanks for the tips, I think you guys are right about the bait. I wont be able to get up to my bait site every day so I would rather have to much than not enough and them loose interest.

Floorguy

WKR
Two years ago it was worse than loosing interest they killed my station albeit on the last day of the season it was a new site and I had nothing but squirrels and some one had been checking it for me that lived close by. Well 1 day before the end of the season they check and it had been emptied but they didn't say anything. Last day I went out expecting to haul out all the bait my polly drums had been crushed one polly drum had the bike chain ripped through it and I found it in the creek 50 yards away.

Learned not to rely on others and polly drums aren't awesome.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any tips people can share about running a bait that can only be checked once a week? What experience do any of you have with that type of situation?

If you can only check your bait site once a week, make sure the hole is less than 5" in diameter (3-4 would be perfect) and load the barrel to the top. Once a week is actually more than some people I know of, they have good luck each year. Just make sure you put enough bait out to last them. I check mine about once a week, sometimes more if I can't resist. Each time I hunt it I bring in more bait as well. Good luck!

JeremiahH

WKR
Are there any tips people can share about running a bait that can only be checked once a week? What experience do any of you have with that type of situation?

The last time we baited in 2010 we could only get to our bait site once a week. The drive was over two hours each time but the area was prime. When we did bait for the day we made multiple trips from the vehicle with pack frames and large duffels full of bait. We used a natural containment depression instead of packing in a barrel. (might check your states regs about that) We (two of us hunting) had some good luck. No access with four wheelers where we baited so we didn't run into any other baiters. We did everything on foot and a lot at one time. Starting as early as you legally can before the season starts helps. I wrote an article about our hunt if your interested in methods we used. It's in this years April/May issue of Bowhunter.

The last time we baited in 2010 we could only get to our bait site once a week. The drive was over two hours each time but the area was prime. When we did bait for the day we made multiple trips from the vehicle with pack frames and large duffels full of bait. We used a natural containment depression instead of packing in a barrel. (might check your states regs about that) We (two of us hunting) had some good luck. No access with four wheelers where we baited so we didn't run into any other baiters. We did everything on foot and a lot at one time. Starting as early as you legally can before the season starts helps. I wrote an article about our hunt if your interested in methods we used. It's in this years April/May issue of Bowhunter.

Best way to do it! I love all the hard work involved. No ATV's used and everything on your back. Only difference is, mine is about 40 mins away and I did haul in a barrel.

Bears are hitting baits hard in my area now.

What unit are you in? I am new to baiting. We are in unit 12 and have had zero bears. I know we got good scent because I can smell it from a distance. I also feel like we have a good location. We have had it out about a week and a half with no luck yet. I am hoping they just arent moving much yet in our area.

Craig4791

WKR
What unit are you in? I am new to baiting. We are in unit 12 and have had zero bears. I know we got good scent because I can smell it from a distance. I also feel like we have a good location. We have had it out about a week and a half with no luck yet. I am hoping they just arent moving much yet in our area.

From what I have heard most guys don't bait that area till first or second week of May. Bears can't eat the bait right out of hibernation they need to eat grass first to get their digestive system going again. Our baits took two weeks to get hit up in the panhandle so I would say give it some time still.

JeremiahH

WKR
I shot my bear on June 29th in unit 16, he hadn't been at the site all season and we started it in mid may.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm hunting southern Idaho so it greens up a little earlier down here. Last two weeks have been spotty though. Next couple weeks should be getting real good.

DC

I have had bait out since the 15th of April. I checked it once a week until May, very little activity. The last 15 days have been crazy and it's been destroyed each and every time I go to check it. I am checking it and rebaiting 3 times a week now. I will start hunting it this weekend, waiting on a buddy to get out here and want to make sure he has first crack at an Idaho bear.

Best of luck to everyone else bear hunting, it sure is fun!!

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
We went up last weekend to ID and got a couple of baits out. There was very little green up in the area we are baiting and the only sign we saw was a grizz track and some scat. (on a dirt road a long way from where we were baiting). I'll check back in when I have more to share.