New to Calling

Fna187

FNG
First year getting drawn here in az. Have been practicing cow and calf calls a few bugles here and there. I dont want to over call but dont want to be to shy or make the wrong call. i have the sept 9 through 22 hunt archery. what would yalls setup be as in sit around a wallow or watering hole or actually try to get out and hike some hills and do some calling. i know this is a broad question but any outlook sure helps.

Red33

FNG
I spent over 25 years hunting elk or helping friends hunt elk in AZ before moving out of state. Most of my hunts were in 4/ 4A/ 9 and 10. If you hunt water, you will be combat hunting and only see elk if you are lucky- they will come in after dark because every other hunter in the unit will be around water as well, unless you have found a VERY secluded water hole. Look at your maps, make a route that travels between several water holes that also has some very thick cover/ bedding area/ saddles/ etc. and walk between them, calling/ sitting as the situation dictates. If you decide to sit at water that is within walking distance of a road, you will likely only do it once- the amount of hunter traffic will likely put you off. Unless you find secluded water or wallows, hike between them.

Do yourself a favor and get the Elknut Outdoors app. You wont be sorry. I still have the older version and "Sounds of the Elk" where you can listen to the real sounds that elk make and then you can mimmick what you are hearing. A great learning tool and a great way to gain control of a reed. Once you gain that control, you will have the confidence to make any sound you want on command and won't be spitting out squeals and unwanted sounds which can send the elk into the Gila where i will be hunting. 😉

OP
Fna187

Fna187

FNG
Thanks guys. super excited for this hunt 6 b is where ill be. Been doing lots of e scouting so i can have different options on where to go. Much appreciated

SonnyDay

WKR
Do yourself a favor and get the Elknut Outdoors app. You wont be sorry. I still have the older version and "Sounds of the Elk" where you can listen to the real sounds that elk make and then you can mimmick what you are hearing. A great learning tool and a great way to gain control of a reed. Once you gain that control, you will have the confidence to make any sound you want on command and won't be spitting out squeals and unwanted sounds which can send the elk into the Gila where i will be hunting. 😉
^^^ This.

Red33

FNG
Sorry, I thought your main question was "do I sit water or hike"? I also highly recommend the ElkNut app; I was just trying to warn you that every dude with a bow will be hitting water holes as often as they can, so areas between water or bedding within a mile or so of water is more productive- at least it has been for me. Hike, set up and call, repeat.

If you don't develop confidence in your calling, don't underestimate raking, or making other non-verbal elk sounds (heavy breathing, snapping limbs, rolling rocks, stomping and running around like a crazy person). They can also be very effective.

OP
Fna187

Fna187

FNG
Damn thank you very much I will keep this all in my bag. That's all real good info thanks fellas

Don't do too much calling on wallows. You're better off just letting them walk in on their own not looking for other elk. Which is tough of there's a bull bugling along the edge just out of sight.

Chris Roe has great info. Roehuntingresources.com

I don't cow call or bugle if I'm sitting water. If I'm moving on the ground, I like a high pitch soft bugle just to get a response. If I can get a response, I go silent and try to slip in range.

OP
Fna187

Fna187

FNG
If you do sit wallow or waterhole how far off are you? Just trying to get a rough estimate i know there's different circumstances.

I have found the best way to improve my calling is to watch a few instructional videos to get the basics down, but then switch over to videos and sounds clips of elk bugles in the wild, and try to imitate those. Also, I know a lot of people don't like them but don't be afraid to get a bite tube. There's an episode of meateater where Jason Phelps is hunting and he himself was using a bite tube. You don't need to have a perfect bugle to get a response. I find hiking with periodic locator calls my favorite and most effective way to locate elk.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you do sit wallow or waterhole how far off are you? Just trying to get a rough estimate i know there's different circumstances.
Far enough to not be right up in their business, ideally 25-40 yards off hopefully from a spot where I can see a way in my assumed direction of travel for them. Someone built a ground blind this summer on this wallow 100 yards off a road near my place in the mountains and the blind is like 5 yards from the wallow… way too close in my opinion

Don't do too much calling on wallows. You're better off just letting them walk in on their own not looking for other elk. Which is tough of there's a bull bugling along the edge just out of sight.

Chris Roe has great info. Roehuntingresources.com
Is it really worth it? I did Elk 101, and this is interesting because he has turkey and mule deer. Worth it?