New to Colorado hunting

cjengle77

FNG
Hey everyone,
Recently just got got to Colorado and was looking for some advice. I picked up a left over either sex tag for 4th rifle in unit 371. I’m a pretty experienced hunter but some what new to elk. I’ve helped on a few hunts before but this will be my first time with a tag myself. I’ve been trying to research the unit but haven’t been able to find much. I grew up hunting southern Arizona so pretty much all of the hunting I’ve done is through just normal glassing. The unit seems like very thick woods. Is it even possible to glass this unit? Like say not looking for any honey holes just some general things about the unit. Any help is really appreciated.

Hello, I believe I will be drawing a Muzzleloader tag for this unit here soon. I'm researching the unit also, did you end up with any success last year? If so, were the any hard lessons or things you wish you had known before going there? Looking for any advice that would help lead me to success, or at least avoid wasting time!

Thanks!

Unit 371 has very limited access and very few access points. Most recently they clear cut (beetle kill fire mitigation) much of the land adjacent to the road (US9) so you need to hike a long way to get to the point where you can hunt. There is a lot of hunter pressure especially 4th season, been here done that. All that said I have been into elk on several occasions. I have seen more moose than elk though. It is major elk migration route area so if they are there they are there, if not you are out of luck. Very dependent on amount of snow fall.