New to Compound Bow/Archery

I've been to my local bow shop a few times shooting some compound bows. Matthews VXR. Bowtech Realm SS. Prime don't remember which one and a Hoyt.

I'm 100% new to archery. I've read a ton of great tips and reviews. I also understand the bow will likely pick me! Question, how long does it take before you really start to get a feel for what you like? I don't know anyone with a bow so my experience is limited to the bow shop. I don't want to buy a bow then after a year or so decide I want something completely different. Trying to avoid buying/selling scenario. I'm not one to replace something every few years just because I feel the itch.

Truthfully, I can't tell a ton of different between the bows at this point. I was hoping to narrow the field some after several sessions at the shop.

OP
Mule3006Elk
My draw length is 27.5-28"
Not necessarily looking for a speed bow but my speed will be limited by my draw length.
Arrow weight, we (guys at the bow shop) were thinking 400-430 gram range. I don't know a whole lot beyond that.
Purpose: Elk/deer.

KBC

WKR
Buy a used bow for cheap and keep reading about archery. I was in the same boat about 2-3 years ago. I bought a used PSE that was a higher end bow about 3-4 years before I got it. Since then I've spent a lot of time reading up and shooting it and I ordered a new bow not too long ago now that I have a better idea of what will fit me and work the way I want it to.

KBC

WKR
If I was in the USA I would have bought a year old top of the line bow this time but with shipping, duties and exchange rate I wasn't going to save much over just buying a new one at a local shop.

I think shooting a variety of bows will help you figure out which one is right for you. What feels comfortable and allows you to consistently hit your target? I was brand new to archery in 2017 and bought a barely used Eva Shockey Bowtech at a good price. I loved my bow at first and really enjoyed shooting it for the first year, but it was hard to keep the darn thing tuned. The following year, I was growing frustrated with the fact that I'd take it in to the shop, get it tuned, and then shortly thereafter it would be all out of whack again with my arrows hitting the target inconsistently. My husband is a veteran bow hunter and never had issues like that with his Hoyt, so I knew I wasn't crazy. I even had him shoot it, and he agreed it wasn't a great bow. It was during my 2nd year that I knew it just wasn't the bow for me anymore, although the specs seemed just about right. I was tired of the black and blue design with someone else's name scrolled across my limbs. I sold it on Ebay which actually went really smoothly, and then ended up buying a gently used Hoyt Carbon Defiant which I had to replace the limbs on since I have a lighter draw weight. Still waiting on the limbs to come in so I can get it all set up. Long story short, you may have to switch bows before you settle on "the one," and if that's the case don't stress about the reselling part. It's not hard at all. Best of luck to you and hope you find what you like.

A used bow is probably the best bang for your buck. You could likely find a 2-3 year old flagship model with 99% of the features/capabilities of a brand new bow for $400-600 bare or ready to shoot for $100-200 more. You could get started fairly cheap that way, learn from shooting what you do/don't like, and use that experience to inform your decision if/when you buy new.

OP
Mule3006Elk
All great advise. Used bow. I need to start keeping an eye out.
I was really hoping to pick up a bow and have that AHA MOMENT! 😀

I've been to my local bow shop a few times shooting some compound bows. Matthews VXR. Bowtech Realm SS. Prime don't remember which one and a Hoyt.

I'm 100% new to archery. I've read a ton of great tips and reviews. I also understand the bow will likely pick me! Question, how long does it take before you really start to get a feel for what you like? I don't know anyone with a bow so my experience is limited to the bow shop. I don't want to buy a bow then after a year or so decide I want something completely different. Trying to avoid buying/selling scenario. I'm not one to replace something every few years just because I feel the itch.

Truthfully, I can't tell a ton of different between the bows at this point. I was hoping to narrow the field some after several sessions at the shop.
I would steer you away from buying a used bow at this point, since you won't know the person you are buying from, according to your op. I say that because you are going to need that shop to help you through the first year or so until you get an idea of what works for you. They can get you into a bow that fits you and your budget. Build your arrows. Set up your bow with the accessories that you want. Hopefully they work with you on shooting form and posture. The shop will be a valuable resource to ask questions and get guidance. If you were to buy a used bow and bring it to the shop they might get bent out of shape and not be willing to put the extra effort to get you set up correctly.

Any of the bows you shot are going to work for you going after deer and elk. Pick the one that you feel the most confident with and start to shoot. Getting bogged down by the minutia of archery is not what you need right now, you just need to start slinging arrows.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
That’s not bad advice. I will ad I bought a used bow from a local shop and he set it all up for me and gave me a quick lesson. Maybe he wouldn’t have been so helpful if I just showed up with a used bow I got somewhere else.

doncarpenter raises some good points. A good shop is invaluable, especially to a new archer. I will add though, that I've been to bow shops that would bend over backward to help their customers, shops that just want to move product and don't really care about their customers' archery success, and shops at various points between those extremes. I would expect any good shop to be willing to set up your bow whether you bought it from them or not. If you did buy from the shop (new or used), initial setup would likely be complimentary. If you bought elsewhere, I would expect the shop to charge you for their time (or maybe offer some complimentary assistance if you bought accessories/arrows from them).

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m happy I went used.
I picked up my first bow Oct 2029. I traded an old 357 I probably couldn’t have gotten $300 for to a guy for a 2017 Elite Tempo. 60#, 28” draw. Picked up a dozen Victory VForce, a bag target and started slinging arrows. I watched a bunch of videos (School of Nock is excellent) and shot every day. With the help of a friend or two and a few great guys I met at the local outdoor range I was hitting 1” per ten yards groups out to 60 within six weeks. By mid November I shot a 3D match and placed mid pack in hunter class.
I was I n the field ready to hunt by mid December, and missed two Coues bucks in January-both were clean misses and completely rookie mistakes attributed to buck fever. I’ve learned a lot and can’t wait until I can get out again in the field!
At 59# and 28” I’m shooting 450gr total arrow weight (300spine w/150 heads) at 250fps, and am sticking w/fixed broadheads. I don’t feel undergunned for anything in AZ and have my fingers crossed in the current elk draw.
One thing I can say is I’m glad I went with 34” ATA, and a little heavier bow-much steadier and forgiving than shorter ATA light bows I’ve shot.
Also, don’t get all he-man on the draw weight. You should be able to be seated with your thighs parallel to the floor and feet flat and draw your bow comfortably without and exaggerated draw motion. Borderline heavy on the draw will also cut into your practice and be a hindrance to building good form. I started with the limbs turned down two turns to 51# due to shoulder issues, and still have half a turn out at 59# for the speed listed above (still have 62.4 ft/lb).
Good luck, I know I’m hooked!!

It takes a while to truly get a "feel" for what you like. For me, I really don't care about arrow speed as much as I care about how quiet and shock free the shot is (and arrow momentum to boot), so I shoot really heavy arrows. Also, I prefer a longer axel to axel, which isn't the most popular thing (35-37 in), mostly because of stability and string angle. I'd say take your time buying a bow, and don't be pressured by the sales staff.

kcarter9

FNG
Did you end up finding anything? Some shops, like No Limits, actually sell used bows previously owned by their own employees. So they are more or less "certified" and they let you test them out first.

I'm also totally new to archery this year and I went to 3 different bow shops over a month and a half, trying every setup they had for my specs. I didn't realize how much choosing a bow really is about "feel". I too had the impression that I wanted to buy one bow for years of use - and I actually ended up with a VXR28! It just felt right with my string angle. Happy I got it before the shops closed and now I've got a lot of time to really get to know this baby

OP
Mule3006Elk
That's funny. I'm also strongly considering the VXR 28. Let me know how you like it.

Agree. I will just need to buy a bow to truly get a feel for it. Shooting at the shop here and there I can't tell much difference. Just being honest. I figure, if I get it, and in a year or so decide I like something with a different feel, it won't be hard to sell a VXR.

Torn because I'm unsure how committed I am to bowhunting. If I'm not bowhunting I don't really need a bow. Something about hunting late October, which for me is rifle season, that I love. I think it's the cold. Hunting in higher temps is not my thing. I hunted turkey today and it was around 60. Hiked 9 miles in the mountains. I was telling my son, who was with me, if I hunted elk during archery season temps would be in this range. Obviously, late September, they will start to drop.

kcarter9

FNG
So far I'm liking it a lot, but I have a long way to go before season yet.
I had the exact same thoughts about resale as I've always been a rifle hunter - the archery season allows more time out in the field and other options here in CO (can't draw the tags I used to). But I will say that I've already had such a great experience with the bow shops and those within the bowhunting community. It feels like a more tight-knit subgroup of hunting, and the best part is you can practice as much as you like. You'll learn within a few months whether or not you enjoy the process enough
Perhaps if you're that unsure about archery and earlier seasons, and you enjoy rifle most, muzzleload is a great season and transition to something more challenging. Just a suggestion if you haven't tried it (probably a less expensive jump as well)

Last edited:
OP
Mule3006Elk
Update. I did get a bow. I picked up a VXR 28. Only had it for about a week but so far I really like it.

Last edited: