New to Compound Bow/Archery

OP
Mule3006Elk
Dang. That's a long wait.

I have 1100 shots thru the bow. Feeling comfortable shooting. At this point, I could shoot different bows and 'feel' the difference if you will. Up to 71.6 lbs. Took me a little while. Doing bow strength training workouts 5-6 days a week. Changed the strings. Getting ready for 2021 season. I didn't hunt with the bow this year which I think is a smart move. Moving forward, I'm going to practice shots (uphill, downhill, kneeling, etc.) in preparation for next year.

Zac

WKR
The bow picking you is very over rated. What you want to do is first find the specs that you wan't and proceed from there. Shooting the bow with no accessories and a whisker biscuit and 10 feet is also highly over rated. First off you need an accurate draw length, and a realistic draw weight that you can pull straight back. You wan't a bow that is at least equal in length to you draw weight. If you have a 30 inch draw, you would not wan't to shoot a 28 inch axle to axle bow. You wan't enough brace height that you won't be hitting your forearm when you shoot. Also you wan't to be able to wear your heaviest piece of clothing that you hunt in without having string contact while you shoot. The main thing is you wan't to purchase the bow from the shop you intend on using. This will ensure that they are able to work on it, and order you parts and accessories as needed. In general the type of bow is going to depend on your specs as an individual. If you are a low poundage short draw shooter your probably going to wan't something in the Turbo line with a shorter brace. If you are average, or above average your going to wan't a longer bow with a more forgiving brace height.

“The bow picking you is overrated”

I both agree and disagree with this statement -

I agree, for an absolute beginner who has never shot a bow before.

A bow speaking to a beginner is about like most of us listening to native Africans talks - that is, I’m sure most of us wouldn’t have a clue what they were speaking about.

You have zero frame of reference. Shooting a bow is going to be uncomfortable because you’ve never shot one before. You don’t know what a smooth draw feels like, the differences between brace heights, letoff, ata and whatnot is going to be completely lost on a beginner. What’s more likely to happen is you’ll be overcome by the power of suggestion from whatever bow place you ended up at(and contrary to internet opinions, they’re very hit and miss). “This is last bow you’ll ever need” - is a true statement in general, but for a beginner with no preferences it means nothing. What’s more likely is that you’ll purchase a bow, and after a year or so be looking for something else because... well... now you have experience and opinions.

I always recommend buying used or one of the cheaper beginner bows for a first bow, because when(not if) you want another bow, buying a new flagship is a horrible investment for a beginner. They lose 30% or so as soon as you leave the shop with them. After a year or so, you can regularly find them for ~50%(give or take a bit). On a 1200 bow, that’s a hell of a loss.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the stigma about used bows and “try out every bow” weren’t started by unscrupulous bow shop owners.

Now for a person who’s been shooting awhile, I can see shooting every bow until one speaks to you.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Agree.
When I was at the bow shop I had no idea what I was feeling or not feeling.
I was trying to understand grip, anchor point, release, etc.
I felt NO pressure at this shop. I could shoot different bows and feel the difference now. It took awhile in my honest opinion.

I'm very happy with the bow with no plans to change anytime soon. I did buy new with the plan of selling the bow within a year if I didn't enjoy shooting the bow. Plus, buying from the bow shop, they have taken good care of me. Anytime I go in they adjust or do what is needed no charge. That alone is worth it IMO.

As far as selling the bow that's not going to happen anytime soon!! :)

wade0731

FNG
Don't go all out on the first bow. I didn't and dont regret it. Kept my budget low and it still kills deer. You can kill a deer with a used $200 bow.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Don't go all out on the first bow. I didn't and dont regret it. Kept my budget low and it still kills deer. You can kill a deer with a used $200 bow.

Too late. Already did. No regrets. Absolutely love the bow. I'm glad there is no need to upgrade the bow. I can keep shooting and getting better. The bow is already dialed I just need to practice different shooing positions for 2021 elk season.

Yeah I seen that you had already purchased - it was more of a warning for future folks. If you stick with the bow beyond a year it’ll definitely be the exception and not the rule - I know numerous people who bought a flagship and ended up shooting another one(different manufacturer or model) and they came home with that different bow because it was so much better than the one they bought.

OP
Mule3006Elk
I'm the exception. Not a latest greatest kind of guy. I like things more when they're paid off. :D
I get your point.

Zac

WKR
Too late. Already did. No regrets. Absolutely love the bow. I'm glad there is no need to upgrade the bow. I can keep shooting and getting better. The bow is already dialed I just need to practice different shooing positions for 2021 elk season.
I may have missed it, what model did you purchase?

Forelle

FNG
If you really get into it you won’t be able to avoid the buying/selling thing. Bows change yearly and many swap them out annually. One thing that you usually stick with are the accessories, but it’ll take you a minute to find what you like.

For instance if you’re going to stalk hunt you may want to run a pin sight vs adjustable. If you’re going to do mostly targets adjustable might be your choice. Competitions are also around the gear you have. There are classes that limit you to fixed sites and shorter stabilizer lengths.

That said, I agree with buying used to start out. I wouldn’t recommend getting a bow thanks too old, maybe 2-3 years max. And, make sure the strings are relatively new. Look at the classifieds over at archery talk. Welcome to the madness that is archery, it’s a fun ride.