New to Concealed Carry, Holsters???

FlyGuy

WKR
After saying I was going to do this for 15 years, I finally did it. TX LTC card arrived in the mail last week. I’ve got a sweet little sig P365 I plan to carry. I also purchased the TLR-6 laser/light to go on it.

But man, when it comes to holsters I quickly get overwhelmed. I really have no idea where to start or how to even make a good choice. I’m also realizing that the laser light is further limiting my holster options.

I live in the Houston area, so it’s HOT most of the year. Would need something that works with golf shirt and slacks/golf shirt and shorts for 90% of the time. Usually tucked in.

I know this isn’t a hunting question, but I’m hoping there are some guys on hear that have been through this already and might save me some time.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Like Trevor asks, you need to decide where you are going to carry. I do small of the back and can wear athletic shorts with a t-shirt.

For concealed carry I prefer one of the Cross Breed holsters for the lower back.
It's about the only place to conceal one when not wearing extra layers.
Works best with a single stack like a Springfield XDS
Yeah the laser is not conducive to CC, you might wanna drop it?

mlgc20

WKR
Holsters tend to be very personal. I went through a ton of holsters when I first started carrying consistently. What ended up working for me was a 3 o’clock carry. And I settled on the N82 Tactical Professional holster. I find that holster significantly more comfortable than anything else I tried. I have the same holster for my XDS, Glock 43X, and Sig P938. I use a different OWB type holster when hunting. But, the N82 tactical is all I use for concealed carry.

mlob1one

WKR
I used to carry in the small of my back.

I now either carry on the hip or appendix. For the hip, I really like daraholsters.com. When I carry appendix I like both trex-arms.com or tier1concealed.com. Both have they option for a sidecar (mag slot just to the left of belt buckle).

Whatever holster you go with, wear it every day for 3 weeks to get the feel for it and get used to it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I think something worth mentioning is that whatever holster you go with, if it's not comfortable don't give up carrying because of one bad holster. The reason there are so many holster manufacturers is because everyone has different body types and needs of a holster. One aspect I have been big on with holsters is to go with something hard especially in the trigger area, especially if carrying loaded. Also something else to consider is good practice/training with whichever holster your carrying

I like the inside the waistband for hot weather and that size gun. Concealment Express makes a good on (Amazon has it)... but I don’t think you can have any attachment.

sndmn11

WKR

The Garretts make outstanding holsters. The kydex outer will protect the gun from your sweat, the leather inner will get you a smooth draw.

bdg848

WKR
PLEASE, PLEASE, Don't get Alien gear......they are complete garbage. I am fairly certain that 80% of their customers are first time gun owners....and 80% of them never buy another holster from them. Get a real holster like a TRex Arms or other comparable custom maker.

I had a custom holster built for me that is Light-bearing and has a built in mag holster as well but it is specifically for Appendix Carry and I know every has their own views on that.

I appendix carried for years and years. With my build, wide chest and shoulders with a smaller waist, it was very easy for me to conceal just about any pistol in just a t-shirt and gym shorts. Quick and easy to remove it when getting back in the truck. Quick and easy to clip it back in when getting out. Thankfully my state is open/constitutional carry now so I can open/partially open carry with no worries. I’ve since moved to a custom made leather/horse hide OWB holster in the 4-5 o’clock position. Even now though I still prefer to appendix carry over anything else. I have a magnetic leather holster with an Ulti-Clip that will securely attach to anything.....gym shorts, jeans, belts....etc. I usually have a CZ P10C or a CZ P07 in this holster.
One thing I found for myself was that I did not like Kydex next to my skin. Especially in hotter temps where I sweat. It’s just very bothersome to me. Uncomfortable. This kept me always looking for skin/hide holsters, or a “hybrid” type holster with some kydex and some skin combined.

Find a good gun shop that stocks a lot of holsters and see if they will let you give multiple different brands/styles a try. Most people who carry daily have a whole drawer full of holsters that they bought then realized they didnt like for some reason.

I’ve tried quite a few holsters myself. I prefer to carry at 3 o’clock or 4-5 o’clock. My favorite is crossbreed. Horse hide next to skin and kydex for the pistol. There IWB is great for tucking in a shirt. I like to carry OWB a lot as well. Mostly carry some kind of 380 or my M&P shield 45. Single stack is definitely the way to go.

4Cody4

FNG
I prefer Wright Leather Works holsters. I’ve come to favor their OWB holster at 4-5 o clock. I’ve also got an IWB from them and although it’s nice, I’d rather the OWB and just dress accordingly.

IWB. Small of back, just slightly to the right of center (am right handed.) Carry with just a T-shirt on. Like right now at a boring party with the wife. Use a simple universal IWB holster got free from NRA. I have other holsters for other scenarios but 90% of the time I'm using this configuration. I can drive with it, bend over, move about. Sometimes I forget it is there. Carry same way for both sub compact type .45 and 1911 size .45.