New to Concealed Carry, Holsters???

So

what is your recommendations on belts, brands and material?
I can only speak from my experience, and I'm sure others can give good insight into other brands. I lucked into Crossbreed first thing and have never looked elsewhere. I used walmart belts for the first year and carrying sucked. The belts stretched and one even broke. Then I got a Crossbreed Gun belt and it changed everything. That's when the pistol (MP 45c) and its weight started to disappear from my mind. I like a simple leather belt and got Crossbreed's most basic one. I think it's called the Classic Gun belt now (they have drastically expanded their offerings since I first got my stuff). Its just a plain jane looking thick leather belt. I also own one of their Executive gun belts in brown for occasions where I have to dress up. It looks pretty sharp, and they offer a lot of variations on it so you can tune it to your dress style. I will say, the belt is super stiff when it first arrives and will feel like a barrel hoop around your waist, but after a week or two of consistent wear it will break in and be super comfortable. Also, when buying a belt, you have to buy them a bit longer than a normal belt because the pistol will add about two inches to your waist. Crossbreed has easy step by step instructions on how to do this and I'd be shocked if other brands didn't as well. Lastly, wherever you get your belt, if it is offered in 1.5 or 1.25 inches wide, I'd go with the 1.25 inches. I've found that a belt 1.5 inches wide starts to run into belt loops that are a little too small.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to poke around your local gun store or sporting goods store. My brother wore a simple 5.11 brand leather belt for several years with his pistol and it never gave him any problems. He picked it up off the rack at an Academy Sports for about half of what I paid for my Crossbreed.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak from my experience, and I'm sure others can give good insight into other brands. I lucked into Crossbreed first thing and have never looked elsewhere. I used walmart belts for the first year and carrying sucked. The belts stretched and one even broke. Then I got a Crossbreed Gun belt and it changed everything. That's when the pistol (MP 45c) and its weight started to disappear from my mind. I like a simple leather belt and got Crossbreed's most basic one. I think it's called the Classic Gun belt now (they have drastically expanded their offerings since I first got my stuff). Its just a plain jane looking thick leather belt. I also own one of their Executive gun belts in brown for occasions where I have to dress up. It looks pretty sharp, and they offer a lot of variations on it so you can tune it to your dress style. I will say, the belt is super stiff when it first arrives and will feel like a barrel hoop around your waist, but after a week or two of consistent wear it will break in and be super comfortable. Also, when buying a belt, you have to buy them a bit longer than a normal belt because the pistol will add about two inches to your waist. Crossbreed has easy step by step instructions on how to do this and I'd be shocked if other brands didn't as well. Lastly, wherever you get your belt, if it is offered in 1.5 or 1.25 inches wide, I'd go with the 1.25 inches. I've found that a belt 1.5 inches wide starts to run into belt loops that are a little too small.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to poke around your local gun store or sporting goods store. My brother wore a simple 5.11 brand leather belt for several years with his pistol and it never gave him any problems. He picked it up off the rack at an Academy Sports for about half of what I paid for my Crossbreed.

Good resource for Crossbreed holsters.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
So, I’m closing in on appendix carry being my choice. For short rides I haven’t had any problem with discomfort using my current vanguard.
again I plan to change holsters soon. Now looking for an appendix that will accommodate the laser light and has some type of skin barrier for the gun. For longer drives (or maybe even on shorter drives with whatever holster I go to next?) I expect I would want to remove the pistol for comfort. I saw a few posts regarding vehicle holsters and wanted to get more feedback on that.

I ordered this Vulcan Magnet type of vehicle holster a few weeks ago before my card came in, but when I actually thought about installing it I became concerned about what would happen in an accident? Would my knee slam into it? Would it become a dangerous projectile inside the vehicle and cost me some teeth? Lots of positive reviews, but is this just a bad idea? (Haven’t drilled any mounting holes in my console yet). If I do go with appendix carry then a holster/retention system for my vehicle seems like it will be an important component.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Jakerex

WKR
I’ve tried so many different holsters and landed on the hybrid type holster (leather with clips) from Whitehat Holsters. Most comfortable by a long shot. The don’t look like they should be, but they are. Crossbreed makes similar and their name is probably more familiar, but their leather is thinner than whitehat, and I hate the crosses on the belt clips. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just ordered a crossbreed appendix holster as my first holster. I am a bigger guy with a gut and I feel like this will be a comfortable holster. We will see once I get my card

So I am 4 days in and like the appendix holster so far. My only concern is nature called and when I dropped my pants my pistol fell out of the holster. Anyone have any issues with this before? Can I just heat the kydex up a little and get a little tighter grip around the trigger guard. Being a seconds holster I don't think it has any warranty but will look into that

Trial153

WKR
Stealth gear IWB. I had probably a half a dozen other brands and haven't bought anything else since trying stealth gear

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
So I am 4 days in and like the appendix holster so far. My only concern is nature called and when I dropped my pants my pistol fell out of the holster. Anyone have any issues with this before? Can I just heat the kydex up a little and get a little tighter grip around the trigger guard. Being a seconds holster I don't think it has any warranty but will look into that
my opinion is don't buy an inside the waistband holster that isn't fully kydex. Crossbreed has the leather or something else against the body. they stretches. plus you don't have a retention screw like you do on the other holsters to make your gun fit tighter or looser in the holster. Tier 1 concealment, QVO Tactical, NSR, M2....etc many out there that are great but for any inside the waistband all kydex is a must. I tossed all my hybrid holsters years ago.

That's no bueno. Especially if you were carrying a sig :) I use a T-Rex arms raptor and its nice because it has retention screws. If I cranked those down all the way I could probably hang upside down and not have the gun fall out. I have a little bit of a gut too and it's pretty comfortable unless I try to tie my shoes with the gun in my waistband.

Jakerex

WKR
I have many whitehat and crossbreed holsters, and never had a problem with retention. In fact, my one issue was too much retention and I had to heat the kydex to loosen things up.

The thing with these holsters, is they rely on being “inside the belt” for their retention, it’s how they’re designed. If you have an appendix carry, and drop your pants to piss, and flip that holster upside down with a few pound pistol in it, yeah, it’s coming out.

You won’t have a problem with it coming out when it’s inside the pant.

You have to be aware when dropping your pants.......keep it upright!

I do have to say all of mine are max or micro tuck type, belt clip non-tuckahoe. I’ve never had appendix carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear a McCabe holster and it has been a very very good one. All leather with audible retention but will still come out on draw. It's very comfortable at 3-4oclock. They are pricey, long wait and hard to get ahold of though.

I wear a McCabe holster and it has been a very very good one. All leather with audible retention but will still come out on draw. It's very comfortable at 3-4oclock. They are pricey, long wait and hard to get ahold of though.
Same story with the ted blockers lol

Black point tactical!!! Best IWB and OWB holsters I’ve found yet. You will not be disappointed. They have many options. My personal favorite for my EDC is their mini wing model. I don’t like a lot of leather ,especially in the summer (I live in the south). Leather will soak up sweat over time and will stink. Good luck!

accuracy

FNG
I would never cheap out on holsters. It makes a big impact on concealability.
I'm sure there's similar/better stuff out there but I'm a big supporter of JM Custom Kydex WingClaw Appendix.

Never felt need to change to anything else.

For subcompacts like p365, a very concealable and comfortable one is the RC vanguard. Its very stiff retention and kind of deep so you do have to practice. but that's what I use when i go mountainbiking . Gone down gnarly stuff , eating crap flying off my bike, never lost retention. They're only $30 so if you don't like it , youre not out much.