New to ducks

Tod osier

WKR
Well it was opening morning here and i managed to limit out. Went solo. 2 other groups with 2 guys in each were hunting the same pond. Set up with about 100 yards or more inbetween us. Talked with one of the pairs for a while.Still working on identifying the birds in air. Early season they all look alike to me oher than teal. But managed to bag a gadwall, pintail, 2 green wing and 4 blue wing teal. It was a great time. I was trying to focus on the teal because i know i wouldnt go over limit on them. Limited out a little over an hour after shooting light. Definitely gonna go a few more times this season at least.
That is a great day, nice. Bird 2 is a Wigeon, btw.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Thanks for letting me know. Still trying to learn on identifying them all yet. And the warden that stopped me on my way out had said pintail. So i just figured thats what it was.

I have hunted over black spray painted 2 liters and killed ducks. If you are set up where ducks want to be, you can kill them with any decoy. With that said, My experience with GHG is the paint flakes off easily. The best bang for your buck duck decoy is a Flambeau Stormfront IMO. They are not the best decoy, but by far the best value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figured give it a shot here. This will be my first year going for ducks. Can anyone recommend me a load? I will need steel shot and I'm shooting an 870 that will shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells. Im having a tough time finding anything locally

This will be my first year going for ducks. Can anyone recommend me a load?
For ducks 2 3/4 shells. If you can’t knock them down with those you are not going to going to get them with 3 inch shells either. No reason to buy 3 inch shells. The difference between 2 3/4 in and 3 inch shells in #2’s is typically 9 pellets, depending on the manufacturer and load weight. My point is, inside 35 yards, 9 pellets in your pattern aren’t going to make a difference.

Sizes in steel #2, 3, or 4’s. Buy what is on sale. Buy what you can get.

Early season I shoot 4’s due to having a lot of teal around. Shots tend to be close on bigger ducks. Wind tends to be light.

Late in the season I shoot 2’s. Not many teal around. Usually hunt bigger water. Shots are longer. Winds tend to be stronger.

Can’t decide, buy 3’s as they work great.

If geese are a good possibility while in the duck blind I usually keep a box of 3 inch BB’s or BBB’s handy. If we see geese coming from further out, I will rapidly reload with the goose loads. If not I shoot 2’s. When your target may range from geese to teal, it becomes a compromise. You need to be prepared to shoot what is in your gun, without the luxury of having time to change your loads out.

For ducks 2 3/4 shells. If you can’t knock them down with those you are not going to going to get them with 3 inch shells either. No reason to buy 3 inch shells. The difference between 2 3/4 in and 3 inch shells in #2’s is typically 9 pellets, depending on the manufacturer and load weight. My point is, inside 35 yards, 9 pellets in your pattern aren’t going to make a difference.

Sizes in steel #2, 3, or 4’s. Buy what is on sale. Buy what you can get.

Early season I shoot 4’s due to having a lot of teal around. Shots tend to be close on bigger ducks. Wind tends to be light.

Late in the season I shoot 2’s. Not many teal around. Usually hunt bigger water. Shots are longer. Winds tend to be stronger.

Can’t decide, buy 3’s as they work great.

If geese are a good possibility while in the duck blind I usually keep a box of 3 inch BB’s or BBB’s handy. If we see geese coming from further out, I will rapidly reload with the goose loads. If not I shoot 2’s. When your target may range from geese to teal, it becomes a compromise. You need to be prepared to shoot what is in your gun, without the luxury of having time to change your loads out.
Thanks for the info. Going to try to find some shells now

KurtR

WKR
3 inch 2 shot black cloud is what I use for everything geese and ducks. I use a pattern master code black and after patterning a bunch of loads that was the best.

KurtR

WKR
That right there is the tough thing this year if your not stocked up already going to be a hard year. I head boss is going to have some again I would go 3/5 blend if shooting them

Oregon

WKR
If any of you guys know where I can find shells online a pm would be much appreciated
Rogers sporting goods. Free shipping over $100.
I concur with 2 3/4" being perfectly fine for killing ducks.
2 days ago Rogers only had Rio 3" and I believe Federal 2 3/4". Everything else out of stock. Both shells are great.
Don't over think shell selection or chokes.
My Semi gun I use a factory modified.
My double gun I use an I/C in bottom and L/M in top.
In my 11 case inventory I have 4 different brands and 3 different shot size. Just started buying cases that "will work" about 7 months ago. I'd buy 1 or 2 cases waiting on my load to pop up. It never did. Thankfully I have enough to get through the year. With a few cases left over.
I have not found a factory shell that will not kill ducks effectively. It's the rusting on the brass(or lack of)that keeps me going back.
Kent used to be the worse along with Winchester xpert. Federal ultra shock(red box) seems best. I hunt strictly saltwater environments

Dozen deeks sometimes is all you need.

If you’re hunting fields or shallow sheet water I would highly recommend buying divebomb silhouettes. They’re easy to pack around and they will add volume to your spread. Definitely get yourself a spinner and you’ll be on your way to stacking piles.

Oregon provides very good advice.

I have two 12 gauges for ducks. One with a 26 inch barrel improved cylinder. The other a 28 inch barrel with a modified choke tube. From a practical point of view, with steel, no difference in actual outcomes shooting ducks over decoys. Within reason, it is not the chokes, barrel lengths or ammunition. What is important is your ability to shoot.

For shells, I shot a lot of different ammunition over the years. Original “slow steel”, fast steel, different brands, different ammunition types. With todays technology, as Oregon said, it all works.

Marketing departments and sports writers can’t change the laws of physics. Steel is steel. Improved velocity, pellet shape… All marketing. The ducks won’t notice the difference and neither will you.

Like Oregon said, “Don't over think shell selection or chokes.“

Rogers sporting goods. Free shipping over $100.
I concur with 2 3/4" being perfectly fine for killing ducks.
2 days ago Rogers only had Rio 3" and I believe Federal 2 3/4". Everything else out of stock. Both shells are great.
Don't over think shell selection or chokes.
My Semi gun I use a factory modified.
My double gun I use an I/C in bottom and L/M in top.
In my 11 case inventory I have 4 different brands and 3 different shot size. Just started buying cases that "will work" about 7 months ago. I'd buy 1 or 2 cases waiting on my load to pop up. It never did. Thankfully I have enough to get through the year. With a few cases left over.
I have not found a factory shell that will not kill ducks effectively. It's the rusting on the brass(or lack of)that keeps me going back.
Kent used to be the worse along with Winchester xpert. Federal ultra shock(red box) seems best. I hunt strictly saltwater environments
Thanks for the info. Roger's is pretty much sold out of everything. I will keep my eye out though

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Roger's is pretty much sold out of everything. I will keep my eye out though

Mack's Prairie Wings
Dunn's Sporting Goods
Reed's Sports
Presley's Outdoors
Cabelas/Bass Pro

All have at least a load of steel shot in stock as I type this.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Windy days look for sheltered ponds.
Calm days think motion on the water ..simulate activity

I love the Texas rig set up as well

Scouting is the the most important part of a successful hunt. I have hunted too many times where my spread looks perfect and all the conditions are right, just to have the birds go down 150 yds away. If they want to be there it's hard to change their mind even if you have the best equipment and perfect setup.

Lots of good suggestions here.... agree that a dozen mallards on Texas rigs and a couple mojos (flyer and shaking butt) would be a good start. Maybe a couple black duck dekes too. Roger's sells some good kits from Dakota that work well.

For the gear and dog... a jet sled will make life easier. Paint inside with camo paint to hide it from above better.

A good set of breathable waders (neoprene ok later in season). A face mask and/or a camo hat.

Work the wind... they want to land into the wind. But you can get shots working it from side if you have to.

A good shotgun....

....and the hardest thing to find right now is the steel shot. You can find 10ga ammo but now the stores are sold out of 10ga shotguns.

A good dog,a lot of effort, and a bot of luck. Definitely a lit easier to get with someone and learn from them.

Sure wish we had a boat last week......