New to Editing

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for some advice as to a good starting point really. I currently have a fuji xs-10, gopro hero 11 black and a dji mini3 pro that i can do video with. I can go out and shoot video with any of them but ive never done any editing. Ive always just had the videos for personal use but im going to put some of them up for social media to view. (mainly youtube and instagram)

First question............What is a good entry level editing software that will grow with me as i get better with it?

Secondly.............Do each of my tools have to be set to the same parameters to be able to crop the footage together? ie. same fps, resolution and such?

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only dabble in this.
I bought filmora like the idea of single purchase, almost everyone uses DaVinci Resolve or premiere pro just learn it and save yourself some learning curve as you upgrade.

You can combine any footage but the closer it matches the more seamless your edit will look.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I learned on iMovie back in the day. Currently use Premiere Pro. Start with something free or cheap first. Once you get the hang of it, the process of editing is pretty similar. I don't do it near enough however. Jordan Budd would be a great resource.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Davinci is free and is a powerhouse, but with youtube it is pretty easy to figure out as you go.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Davinci is free and is a powerhouse, but with youtube it is pretty easy to figure out as you go.
Thanks. I looked at that last night and almost pulled the trigger on it. Think I will give it a try

Jeff338

FNG
Classified Approved
Imove was pretty easy to use for a new be like me

Highly recommend capcut for a beginner/intermediate editing software.
It's fairly easy to learn with yt videos and will grow with you. It's free.

I personally shoot in the highest resolution I can, just because I want as pro a look as possible, but if you don't have a computer that can handle it, you may need to turn it down a little.
I would stick with 24fps (it gives a more cinematic look) unless you're planning to slow it down in post, then 60 or 120fps is what you need.
You can edit on the same timeline with different fps if that's what you're wondering.

jlh42581

WKR
I agree with capcut but I dont agree with 24fps, it introduces too much motion blur. Todays screens are 60hz and the refresh rates play best with 30.
That same motion blur is really toned down at 60fps and 120fps and you should only shoot that when you intentionally want to slow it down. Otherwise it looks unnatural.
If you have multiple formats like 4k and 1080 you can downsample the 4k to 1080 and it will allow you fake pan and zoom without destroying the quality. You can upres 1080 to 4k but you need to have a good camera to do it and it not look terrible. Also, most of youtube is consumed by phone and so 4k isnt usually worth the squeeze on your computer resources or upload time. If you tell it capcut will proxy your 4k files so you can edit easier as will others.

Last edited:

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Davinci Resolve free version.
Very competent
A ton of tutorials available
If you decide to go for more, you simply transition to paid version with all skills intact.

There's no performance roof in Davinci, your skill will never be curbed by the program

Free, DaVinci Resolve. Excellent interface, and as you get better you can learn to use the fantastic color correction tools.

Mountains of great tutorials on the Tube.

I use premier pro. If youre getting into media and you think photo editing might be a posibility you can get a bundle on all of the adobe products and use their software to manage and move media around pretty easily. Theres a ton of tutorials online for premier as well. For resolution shoot everything in 1080 these days. Mainly I just film everything in whatever reolution im going to end up in. (Set anything higher to 1080p). Then use the highest fps your computer can comfortably process. This can depend on video size (length) and your computers power. You might have to experiment. If all it can handle is 24 thats fine, but if you get to 60 or 120 you can comfortably use slow motion without it feeling choppy, and fast movement will seem clearer. If you go 4k 120fps all the time thats fine, but as mentioned many people wont even be able to view it as such and it will probably slow down your computer unless you have a powerful desktop which is frustrating. Good luck out there!

alexnelon

FNG
Another vote for Resolve. It smokes any other free software and goes toe to toe with Premiere.

There's a huge learning curve though and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Another vote for Resolve. It smokes any other free software and goes toe to toe with Premiere.

There's a huge learning curve though and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.
It seems like Davinci is a crowd favorite and I think is what I will try to start using.