New to Elk hunt

Phlapen

FNG
Looking for advice on hunting elk. First timer living in Wyoming. I intend on using a bow. What company makes the best calls?

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
About like asking what’s the best truck brand or bow. You’ll get a lot of different answers. I would say the most mentioned brands are Phelps and Rocky Mountain calls. Depends a lot on if you can use a diaphragm call or not, or just looking for the easiest option.

OP
P

Phlapen

FNG
About like asking what’s the best truck brand or bow. You’ll get a lot of different answers. I would say the most mentioned brands are Phelps and Rocky Mountain calls. Depends a lot on if you can use a diaphragm call or not, or just looking for the easiest option.
Is it tough to learn diaphragm calls?

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
That elk 101 guy is legit.
If it’s Corey you’re talking about, I’m pretty sure he’s been the world champion 8 or 9 times now. I learned a lot from watching him. Elknut has an app that talks more about when to use the calls that I thought was worth the money as well.

Buck197

WKR
I didn't read everyone's posts here, veen a crazy day, but if I might suggest. First time elk...you're in Wyoming, gwt alot of boots on the ground and get to know elk, its an amazing hunt, and difficult, exhilarating, boots on the ground, a ton of it before archery, meant respectfully.

OP
P

Phlapen

FNG
I didn't read everyone's posts here, veen a crazy day, but if I might suggest. First time elk...you're in Wyoming, gwt alot of boots on the ground and get to know elk, its an amazing hunt, and difficult, exhilarating, boots on the ground, a ton of it before archery, meant respectfully.
I intend to. Ain’t worth a shit right no cause of all the worthless shed hunters chasing elk around.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
I intend to. Ain’t worth a shit right no cause of all the worthless shed hunters chasing elk around.
Not sure where you moved to but a lot of wyoming is closed to shed hunting until the 1st of May. Everything that is open right now besides the bighorns and cody area just received so much snow that no one is really able to get to their spots anyway. Also the vast majority of elk in Wyoming migrate a lot so probably best to hold off really burning rubber until mid July. Also bashing shed hunters is not the wisest thing to do on a forum like this mostly because a lot of guys are responsible and if you go around cussing every shed hunter out there they will probably be less likely to help you along and give good advice. Just some food for thought. Good luck on your hunt this year.

Last edited:
Good place to learn how to hunt I bet... I was looking what it's like to hunt or live in Wyoming and came across this thread. My advise is find elk or good sign scout those areas and familiarize yourself with your hunting grounds before season and practice. As far as I've heard is if you just whistle at them in Wyoming you'll probably get a bugle lol. Seems like an amazing place to learn hopefully you have friends to show you some good ground.

“Best” calls is subjective. There are so many makes and models out there. A friend brought what looked like a dogs chew toy a few years ago on a hunt in central NM for his brothers muzzleloader hunt. I think it was made by Bone Collector. It was a squeeze call. I don’t know if the call worked, or if any call would have worked in the NM unit that has elk behind every tree.

mtnlomo

FNG
Not to derail the thread, but what’s the best type of call for someone who can’t use diaphragm calls due to a hyper active gag reflex?
Honestly most bugles I have tried that are NOT diaphragm aren't great, (I.e Primos terminator type) but I understand there are a lot of them out there that I haven't tried, so I will defer suggestions for bugles to other people.

However, in addition to my bugle tube and diaphragms I personally love the EZESTRUS by Phelps. I carry that around, it's easy to use and makes a good sound. I understand the gag reflex, some of it can be trained out of you, I gagged a lot when I was learning, I would end up trimming the back of the diaphragms to be shorter. Now though, I don't have any issues and don't need to trim.

Last edited:

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just my very limited experience....Corey has some great instructional videos on YouTube. Cow calls, bugles, chuckles. Very informative. With that said, I am inconsistent with Rocky Mountain Diaphragms. Phelps Gray....seems like I can nail the bugles every time. Well, almost.

So much data you can go back on here and just review previous threads. Such a wealth of knowledge. There is a new guy almost every day asking the same questions. I read stuff here for probably three to four years before I ever signed up or posted.

Go up to the Search window and type in Diaphragm calls... you have weeks worth of reading right there.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Practice, Practice, practice. So many good videos on YouTube

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk