new to elk hunting

It's plenty. Might want to upgrade arrows.

Focus on getting in shape, tactics, and shooting the bow. Those 3 are more important than gear.

Are elk shoulders basically impossible to penetrate?
I don't have enough experience to say much authoritative here, but IMO they might as well be. You can probably find accounts of breaking them and youtube broadhead tests through cattle or hog shoulderblades, but I think you need to go to such lengths for that (heavy draw weight, extreme weight footed arrows, super expensive broadheads, etc), I just don't really see the point. Just put it through the lungs, and if you can't, then wait for a better shot. Can't force it.

nettereo16's advice above is spot on. Once your setup is good enough, stop thinking about it and move on to the next task. Practice hard shots, get in good shape, and learn how to find elk once you get there.

hobbes

WKR
"Shoulder" is a broad term. The scapula thins on the edges so while it shouldn't be the goal, a heavy arrow and broadhead can penetrate. The thinnest part of the scapula is toward the top so your shot gets too high. Get closer to the center of the scapula and there is somewhat of a stiffener there that would show a Tee shaped cross section. You will be lucky to get much penetration there.

Move closer to the juncture of the scapula and the humerus and you are screwed. The humerus will do the same. Your greatest hope at those points is deflection of the broadhead around the bone but that's a long shot. We found a popular cut on contact head burried in this joint on a muzzleloader killed bull some years ago. It had folded the tip of the head over and the elk had healed around it.

The muscle of the shoulder that lays behind the V created by the scapula and humerus will not stop a good broadhead and arrow set up.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
What i’m hearing is avoid and shot that could result in hitting bones near the shoulder, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
This wasn't your question, but if you eventually plan to also continue to hunt whitetails, IMHO you can stick with your ultimate new elk setup for both. Sure, you can go with what you had before, but I don't think it's the same as rifles - where an elk rifle caliber and/or load might be "overkill" on a deer.

rambo2345

WKR
60 lbs is plenty. Limit your shots to broadside at a distance you can put it in the heart and lungs.