New to elk hunting

Mrcrosno

FNG
My Father inlaw just purchased some land around Montrose Colorado. The land has a house on it so we would be staying inside and not roughing it. I have only huned whitetails here in Arkansas from tree stands and blinds so this is all new for me. Next fall I would love to tag my first elk. I have read you can purchase elk tags for the 2nd and 3rd season over the counter which one would be better in your opinion? Also all my hunting gear is designed to stay warm while sitting still; what clothing gear would you recomend? Kuiu, Sitka, is it necessary to buy new gear like that, do I need an insulation layer during those seasons for that part of the state, rain gear, soft shell or hard shell? What would you invest in first and foremost.

I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55 that drops deer on the spot and is very accurate. Would 140 gr accubonds or bergers be advised on elk or should I step up to a 300wsm Tikka that's in my safe? The Tikka is brand new and I would need to invest in a scope, mount, muzzle break and most likely a stock to get it where I want it to be.

Just looking for a bit of advise all help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
It will be on his land and I think it's unit 62. I just found out before he went on vacation don't know much about it yet. What are your thoughts on the better season 2 or 3? What type of layering and camo do you find best for that area? Any snow during that time of year?

a3dhunter

WKR
Always a chance of snow during 1st, 2nd, or 3rd season. I've even had it snow on me in 62 during 2nd week of archery season.
The 6.5x55 will kill if you do your job, although most people feel more comfortable with the .300 for elk.
Be prepared to hike 5-7 miles per day, with temps between 20-80 degrees and you will be okay.

ckleeves

WKR
It will be on his land and I think it's unit 62. I just found out before he went on vacation don't know much about it yet. What are your thoughts on the better season 2 or 3? What type of layering and camo do you find best for that area? Any snow during that time of year?

IMO its hard to predict if 2nd or 3rd will be the better season. It depends on a lot of different things, snow at that time, heat, pressure etc. It also depends on where his property is at, 62 is a massive unit. As far as snow it can hit anytime, I have seen 12" during archery season or dry until after the general rifle seasons. Camo doesn't matter, your gonna be wearing blaze orange. As far as layering I would just go with a soft shell jacket and a puffy for the mornings and sitting. Waterproof set and gators if it does snow. How big is his property? Elk are a lot different than whitetails, if it's less than several hundred acres I would look at surrounding public as an option also, unless he got a real good piece of property that elk go to when the shooting starts. 62 gets hunted HARD during the general rifle seasons just FYI.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
It's 500 acres and I don't have a clue about the hunting pressure around it. Would that size property work for hunting elk or should I look into some public land as a plan "B" also?

ckleeves

WKR
500 might be pretty good if it's in the right place. I would also look into some public as a backup. A lot really depends on where exactly it is at. Not all of 62 is elk country, there is farmland and desert and elk aren't in the entire unit by any means.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
I will try to find out more specifics on it. The people he is buying it from shot elk on it last year and are keeping 3500 actes to continue to hunt on. Thanks for your info so far any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
It is south of Montrose on 550 7 miles then west a couple miles. It is unit 62 in the very southern part. What do y'all think about seasons and weather in that part of the area?

a3dhunter

WKR
When I have been in that part of 62 it is either thick as can be and hard to hunt, or the elk can be there one day and gone the next (i.e. 500 acres isn't enough land). I would go along hoping the elk are on his land, but prepared to hunt public land if not finding elk. Check out the maps and find out where the nearest access roads are, and be prepared to travel.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
Are you recommending 3rd season due to the previous post of how thick that area is? What can you expect 3rd season weather? Any good public land in the area as a plan B?

ckleeves

WKR
Are you recommending 3rd season due to the previous post of how thick that area is? What can you expect 3rd season weather? Any good public land in the area as a plan B?

I just prefer 3rd in that area because of the better chance of snow and since it is lower country a better chance of the animals being in there. There is a resident herd in all that area but it also doesn't hurt to have pressure to move them into the thicker p/j country. Plenty of good public in that area also. As far as weather it can honestly be 70 and sunny or freezing. Prepare for anything. You don't have to worry about to much snow in that area if it's where I'm thinking it is.

If I were you I would really try to get out to look the property over. If you know who he bought the land from or a ranch name and want to pm me I'm sure I would know exactly where it is and what kinda terrain it is.