New to high country Muleys

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
What’s up guys, new here to the forums. (Been lurking for awhile)...

This is gonna be our first mule deer hunt (blacktail hunters originally). We’re planning our early season archery Mule Deer hunt for this year, and we’re looking at this head basin. It has multiple smaller sub basins in it. I was wondering what you guys thought about habitat and if it looks good for early season muleys. This is eastern Sierra in California btw

Here’s some info on the area:
•10,000-11,500 ft
•at least 9 miles into wilderness area from all directions
•plenty of water so we aren’t worried about that

The first pic is the two main sub basins we are looking at focusing on. The next two are the two basins in more definition. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 74F1A573-CF9E-4F27-8079-26D19890C490.jpeg
    74F1A573-CF9E-4F27-8079-26D19890C490.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 30BEF2E4-CA4B-41A9-B424-3CCFAA90B56D.jpeg
    30BEF2E4-CA4B-41A9-B424-3CCFAA90B56D.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 8F58A482-2EB7-402F-AE2E-5786ECACCE1F.jpeg
    8F58A482-2EB7-402F-AE2E-5786ECACCE1F.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
This is sweet info and solid screenshots. At first glance, these look like really rocky basins that wouldn't hold high deer densities. Then again I've been told folks like to find bucks in rocky basins like this because it's good for stalking. I'm curious of other folks' thoughts. I don't have any experience with California.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a good starting point to me. From my experience chasing bucks in the high Sierra they can be much higher than you think. I have seen them in the rocky goat country. Look for areas with lots of willows and that will be thier primary food source. Good luck

Marble

WKR
I would make a trip out there in August and see whats going on. Give it probably 3 nights. Bring bug spray...

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Always helps getting eyes on the country and get a weekend of scouting or even a one nighter can make a big difference. Like Justin tree said, they can be higher than you think, at the very top in the rocks. Pay attention to the sun and how it shades in afternoon and where the feed is let the glass find em!

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Thank for all that information guys.
I think our plan is to start up in there and then if we don't see anything, possibly backtracking into one of the previous basin/drainages that are more green. Our starting head basin is at the top of a well used backpacking area, so we were thinking if the bucks were looking to get away from the noise they'd be pushed up higher

A lot of that is really rocky for bucks to like. Little pockets of deer habitat and feed but the density is probably low.

Northpark

WKR
Possibly lower deer density there BUT if you find a buck there’s a good chance he’ll be in a good location for a stalk with all the rocks. Doesn’t matter if you find a pile of deer if you can’t get near them. Just my approach and I’m not an expert.

Possibly lower deer density there BUT if you find a buck there’s a good chance he’ll be in a good location for a stalk with all the rocks. Doesn’t matter if you find a pile of deer if you can’t get near them. Just my approach and I’m not an expert.

True though you want multiple cracks at the apple especially for archery to increase odds of a successful stalk.

Northpark

WKR
True though you want multiple cracks at the apple especially for archery to increase odds of a successful stalk.

This is also true. Ideally you find lots of deer in terrain that offers lots of good stalking opportunities.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t get so caught up in the “high country” nonsense. Bucks are less likely to be “pushed up” in the eastern sierras than they are to move down into forest cover. You can find some bucks way up high but nowhere near as many as you will hunting traditional food sources, water, cover, etc. Big, mature, and smart bucks aren’t going out into the open granite faces during hunting hours.

You need to get boots on the ground starting soon if you can. Scouting is key up there.

Don’t get so caught up in the “high country” nonsense. Bucks are less likely to be “pushed up” in the eastern sierras than they are to move down into forest cover. You can find some bucks way up high but nowhere near as many as you will hunting traditional food sources, water, cover, etc. Big, mature, and smart bucks aren’t going out into the open granite faces during hunting hours.

You need to get boots on the ground starting soon if you can. Scouting is key up there.

But is it really hunting if it’s not #highcountry #alpine #godeep #mtnops

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Oh and yes. Bring bug spray! I’ve been wearing this goofy hat with mesh on all sides because the mosquitoes have been so bad the last 3 seasons.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
But is it really hunting if it’s not #highcountry #alpine #godeep #mtnops

Maybe in Idaho lol. Hunting like that in the Eatern Sierras of California up past 10,000 feet is just tough going. That sandy granite is tricky to navigate and everything is so much steeper once you’re out in it. It’s deceiving because it looks so open and “facey” but you quickly realize you can’t even get to half of what you’re glassing without rock climbing and bouldering experience.

Now let’s you you snag a granite buck up there in that hell hole... OP said 9 miles back in? Have fun with that. 😂

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe in Idaho lol. Hunting like that in the Eatern Sierras of California up past 10,000 feet is just tough going. That sandy granite is tricky to navigate and everything is so much steeper once you’re out in it. It’s deceiving because it looks so open and “facey” but you quickly realize you can’t even get to half of what you’re glassing without rock climbing and bouldering experience.

Now let’s you you snag a granite buck up there in that hell hole... OP said 9 miles back in? Have fun with that. 😂

I see what you're saying lol
The reason we're going so deep is because the surrounding area is a popular backpacking and day hiking area so we're trying to get away from that. #1 because of foot traffic and #2 because of avoiding confrontation with the vegan fairies that California is blessed with😂

2rocky

WKR
It looks like fun country to see. Would be worth a scouting trip. If there are deer in that country you will see trails through the talus. Talk to the pack stations that go in there. Ask if they pack in hunters and if they pack out many bucks. They will tell you.

Would not want to be at that vantage point in the afternoon when the thunderheads build up though..

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like fun country to see. Would be worth a scouting trip. If there are deer in that country you will see trails through the talus. Talk to the pack stations that go in there. Ask if they pack in hunters and if they pack out many bucks. They will tell you.

Would not want to be at that vantage point in the afternoon when the thunderheads build up though..

Thanks Rocky. I've spoke with one of the pack stations. She said they see a lot of deer up there, but I don't know if she was just telling me what I wanted to hear or not lol