New to Horses

j_volt

WKR
Howdy everyone!

I have an elk hunt planned for the fall of 21 that involves a 4 hour horse ride to base camp. I don’t think that’ll be too bad, but I also have a Thorofare elk hunt scheduled in 2025 that is a significantly longer horse ride.

I was told that inexperienced horse riders often have a hard time recovering after these long rides. Besides a few ex-girlfriends, I am completely inexperienced with horses.

Has anyone ever experienced a longer horse ride with essentially zero experience? How was it? Would you recommend doing anything to prepare?

I have reached out to a few places that offer trail rides, but most seem disinterested with me riding a horse for an extended period of time.

I am in my mid 20s and expect this to not be a huge deal, but frankly I’m bored and am always looking for an excuse to think about future hunts.

Thanks in advance! Happy Thanksgiving!

Fullfan

WKR
I spent 18 years as a mounted state trooper. Best info I can give you is get some saddle time prior to your hunts. Get your body use to it. Stirrup length is very important, almost as much as being able to relax and be comfortable.

I was in the saddle 21 hours straight at the flight 93 crash in Shanksville Pa. nothing can get you ready for that. On your ride to the camp location, don’t be afraid to ask for a brake if you need one. Riding just several hours when you are not conditioned for it will take a role on you.

good luck

mcseal2

WKR
You will be sore if you ride that long without getting those muscles in shape before hand. Take some good pain reliever and stretch during and after the ride.

I have never experienced it, but a friend who used to ride a lot came out and rode with me one day. He had really hairy legs and the friction of riding tied knots in his leg hair and then ripped it out. He said it hurt a lot. I never paid much attention to it, but I never have hair on the inside of my legs. I guess I keep it worn off.

Grew up on a cattle ranch, lots of first timers do get sore even after an hour or two. Echo what folks above said. Make sure stirrups are the right length, walk some of the time, stretch from time to time. Also, a lot of people work too much in the saddle-stand up too much, push into stirrups too much even unconsciously, clench legs to horse. You have to be in control but a lot of folk tighten up unnecessarily without realizing it. May be worth some shorter trails rides just to get more comfortable and be able to relax. It’s like a lot of things from shooting to bikes to skiing, have to hit the balance with firm control but also relaxed.

Get some riding in whether it’s 1-5 hours a week, but most outfitters aren’t gonna stop to let you “walk” in the middle of the ride in, personally I won’t unless it’s an emergency. Some bicycle pants will help, but nothing beats time in the saddle. You don’t have to ride 5 hours all you need is to ride a few hours a week prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’ll be fine. Make sure the stirrups fit you. Too short and your knees will ache. Too long and your ass will be smacking the saddle seat. The key is to switch off between riding and walking. Like anything else, if you feel something starting to hurt a little change it up. I did a 26 mile ride into the frank church many years ago. We’d ride a while then walk, then ride, etc. I’d be more worried about the horse I got. Hopefully you get a natural follower. Remember, with horses, slow and steady wins the raise. You want a tortoise.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Find someone to teach you horsemanship 101. The basics of being safely around horses, basic care, tacking them properly, how to control an animal while in the saddle, emergency procedures while in the saddle, etc., etc. Learn the basics so you’re capable and safe and not just a dude sitting in a saddle.

Go find a local trainer or someone who works with the local 4H kids (they will be good teachers). I'm sure most people would be willing to let you plop around on their horse in exchange for some help around the place. Just make sure you explain yourself (you want to learn how to handle/ride, because you will be riding horses on hunting trips), so you don't look like a crazy person who wants to ride someone's nice horse around.

rayporter

WKR
the bicycle pants are great. some people wear womens hose to keep the legs slick so you dont get a blister.
take a Tylenol before you get on. a muscle relaxer helps too.

LostArra

WKR
The instant you get in the saddle the horse will know if you are or are not a "horseman" and will start to dictate the ride. I'm not a horseman and I've experienced it. Take some riding lessons. It helps.

Soreness was a non-issue for me, Never a problem but make sure the saddle is set up correctly

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Couple suggestions.

Take some lessons and go on trail rides. Having proper posture, being familiar with horses, tack, and the basics of riding will go a long way. If nothing else it will make you less tense. The horse can sense if you’re all nervous and tensed up so getting comfortable riding and being on horseback is a good idea. Depending on the horse but if you’re stressed out and they sense it, they can get stressed out. Also learning how to ride and not just yank on the reins will keep you from fighting with the horse for hours on end, I ’ve seen a lot of beginners make that mistake and some pissed off horses who get tired of having their mouth yanked on.

Learn different ways to stretch out in a saddle. If you can’t get off and stretch out there are def ways to do it on horseback. Maybe not “stretch” in the literal sense but change positions, stand in the saddle, pop your feet out of the stirrups and move around. Also going back to my first point, if your not nervous/tense your entire body will be more relaxed in general which will help with muscle stiffness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
You'll be fine.

Adjust the stirrups
Take breaks
I bring my own already stirrups made for hunting boots.
Don't wear jeans, pants or a bae layer with significant seam that you sit on. You'll feel it for days.

I've taken a lot of green guys over the last 20 years and no one has had a problem. Its like being stiff when you get out of a car, its no big deal. After a few minutes you forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
The instant you get in the saddle the horse will know if you are or are not a "horseman" and will start to dictate the ride. I'm not a horseman and I've experienced it. Take some riding lessons. It helps.

Soreness was a non-issue for me, Never a problem but make sure the saddle is set up correctly
This is true. The most nervous people seem to have the most issues.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
When I was in my 20’s I could ride a horse every day all day long ! The horse’s you’re going to ride have probably walked up to the outfitters camp many times....dude horses that don’t know much any more other than that trail. Should be a piece of cake for a 20 year old guy ! Just don’t show up wearing a pair of silky basketball shorts and sandals.

Gila

WKR
Find some friends that have horses and like to ride. Get some good boots that are comfortable to walk in. Do your morning cals and stretch often....should be good to go....a bit sore sometimes....isn't bad though.

rootacres

WKR
Make sure you're stirrups are adjusted to fit you. Don't be afraid to get off and walk on occasion. I don't ride often but when I do its usually for a few hours. Stirrups can put an awkward pressure on your knees that takes some getting used to. Your ass is is going to be a little saddle sore, there isn't really a good way around it.

Good luck, have fun.

Make sure you buy some really fancy frilly leather chaps. The guides will respect you.....ha ha.
It really won't be too bad. Listen to the guys above. Be honest with your guides and they will put you
on one of the better horses. If that doesn't work just close your eyes....

NB7

WKR
I remember a short story by the late, great Pat McManus, in which he recommended preparing for just the scenario you're talking about.
It involved wearing pantyhose to prevent the chafing, and straddling a hot burning barrel woodstove to practice getting used to the heat. There was something about maybe having to explain why you're wearing pantyhose in elk camp in there too :ROFLMAO: