New to Horses

Ralphie

WKR
Once you get off and have a few hours in camp you’ll get to thinking you are feeling pretty good...until you get back in the saddle the next morning.😜

Thats when you’ll discover parts you never knew you had.

blackdawg

WKR
Chamois butter! Road bikers use it for the bike saddle, it works combined with Kuiu Attack pants, kinda like the English riding breeches. Combo works, I can put 20 miles in and not be sore, put wranglers on and wham , bowlegged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
be careful of the brand of blue jeans you wear. on some the inseam will ride on the saddle and wear a serious blister. but the only way to know is to ride in them.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will be headed into the mountains on horseback in October! I cannot wait.

I have one additional question. What are your thoughts on a backpack for a horse hunt?

As I understand it, packs create an inherent risk of getting ripped off of a horse and packs can also put more weight on your body instead of the trusty steed. I have a MR Pintler and a MR Metcalf as my "western" packs. Our outfitter discourages packs unless they are "small", but he has never heard of Mystery Ranch so I am not sure what "small" would mean to him. I won't have to haul meat, so I assume having a frame is irrelevant and perhaps a JanSport has a place on a horse. I do have an AGC harness for my 10s and rangefinder.

What are your thoughts on wearing a backpack while hunting via horse? I understand I will have saddle bags, but am having a tough time conceptualizing what it will look like to get off a horse without a pack. As a person that spends too much money on gear, I would like to use that gear and not leave it with the horse every time I dismount.