New to hunting, first optic

It’s not that I’m looking for just FFP I’ve just had limited experience with SFP. Honestly I’ve had very limited exposure to rifle scopes and have mainly only used red dots and low magnification optics. I would just need to read up on each scope. I plan to dial each shot if I can so maybe SFP will be better.
SFP scopes will have a certain magnification that you have to be on for accurate use of your reticle. FFP scopes can be used on any magnification as the reticle size changes with magnification. I run both and as long as you keep these things in mind, both are great. FFP removes any worry though. Your reticle will just be very small on low magnification settings

Superdoo

WKR
If you’re limiting yourself to 400 yards with a 300 WinMag, you don’t need anything fancy at all. You really shouldn’t even need to dial anything unless you get a duplex reticle. Even with that a 100 yard zero will drop less than 5 MOA.

bluumoon

WKR
I can't stress enough how valuable I've found Formidilosus posts to be on optics. Everything from how to pick a scope (what is actually important), scope testing, how to mount a scope, how to use a scope for dialing, why mil/mil is easier to use, etc..

Just google "Formidilosus and scope dialing" as an example.

BjornF16

WKR
how does the LRTS match up to the trijicon? With discounts they are roughly the same price and the bushnell seems to have great reviews

I have a 3-12x44 LRHS on the way (used). You can find them for around $700 give or take.

I would say better FFP reticle in the LRHS over the Credo FFP.

I prefer the SWFA Quad mil reticle over the Credo. I have both SWFA 5-20 HD and 3-15. I have SWFA 3-9 is on back order. I haven’t shot with LRHS yet.

I am currently shuffling my scopes around.

I have a 3-12x44 LRHS on the way (used). You can find them for around $700 give or take.

I would say better FFP reticle in the LRHS over the Credo FFP.

I prefer the SWFA Quad mil reticle over the Credo. I have both SWFA 5-20 HD and 3-15. I have SWFA 3-9 is on back order. I haven’t shot with LRHS yet.

I am currently shuffling my scopes around.
Ah, the scope shuffle. Just did it myself. When I shuffle a scope, I put a piece of painters tape on it to remind me that it's not sighted in.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Think I have narrowed down my options. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Ziess conquest v4
2. Meopta R1
3. Trijicon accupoint

From what I have gathered it has been mentioned that meopta supplies ziess with their glass but I’m not sure how accurate that is. It was also mentioned that the conquest and r1 are pretty close to the same optic, but again don’t know how accurate that is. Trijicon has pretty long and good reputation for being bomb proof. My main concern is the scope being mechanically sound and holding zero, tracking, etc… only issue is it seems most of the optics are OOS right now and backordered.

Anything I have missed please let me know or if there is anything else I should look at.

Bushnell was also in the running but most of their stuff is out of stock on their discount program and waiting to hear back from them directly. Leupold was also in the running but it seems for the price point of the leupold I can get a comparable optic for cheaper.

Thank you for those who mentioned formidilosus his reviews were really helpful.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys with Ziess/ Meopta what reticle are you guys liking? I cant really find a reticle that I like out of the two. They are all too busy and cluttered with different lines for my liking. So my thought process since SFP optics aren't true to their ranging lines unless at specified magnification would it be good to just go with a duplex reticle with the simple crosshair? I plan to dial for elevation since the elevation lines wont be accurate unless I'm fully dialed in.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I can help you with Meopta's Mil/LE/First Responder discount policy. Reach out to me and I'll get you to the right person. They are currently at SHOT Show right now, but he's good about getting back to you.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I can help you with Meopta's Mil/LE/First Responder discount policy. Reach out to me and I'll get you to the right person. They are currently at SHOT Show right now, but he's good about getting back to you.
Thank you, I actually have been in contact with Erik and he has been pretty responsive to my emails. Only issue is it seems that most of the R1/2 have capper elevation turrets. Besides aftermarket turrets does meopta offer the ability to swap out capped to exposed elevation turrets?

mjs270

FNG
For added options, if you’re using a military discount I would definitely recommend meopta. I have used their mil/LE program several times; Erik is great to work with and their discount is generous. If I had your rifle set up and 1k budget this is the model I would go with (R1 4-16x44):

Another option is Zeiss on experticity. They have decreased their military discount to 20% but that’s still not bad. I have a Zeiss hd5 3-15x42 RZ800 on my 300 win mag that I really like. Again if I had your set up and budget this is what I would look at (conquest v4 4-16x44):

+1 on the Zeiss Conquest. I was a lifelong Leupold fan until I picked up a Zeiss. Check out Red Hawk Rifles for some good deals on demo scopes too. Not sure if the demo scopes are a better deal than a military discount on a new one.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Brought down my magnification range since most of the scopes that I am looking at are SFP and don't need x16+ for 300/400 yard shots. I like the magnification range of the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 only downside is that the turrets are not exposed, mainly wanting elevation for dialing. I looked into Kenton turrets but it seems they only make ballistic strips which is pretty much tape that goes around the dial.

Does anyone know of any other solution to installing or fitting exposed elevation turrets to a scope? perhaps going with a x10 might be the easiest solution since its only a x2 difference.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Quickly remove the elevation turret cap if you have the time to dial. Otherwise utilize reticle holdover at 12.5x for opportunities with limited time to dial. Works for me with a 3-10 SHV.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Trijicon Credo is the best choice of the ones that have been discussed so far. More durable, good glass and if you get a military discount, its a no brainer.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
The Trijicon Credo is the best choice of the ones that have been discussed so far. More durable, good glass and if you get a military discount, its a no brainer.
Ya the Credo is in the race just wish they had a lower magnification range but isn't a deal breaker. Accupoint has the range I like might jut have to bite the bullet and use the reticle if I don't have time to uncap and dial.

So far its Conquest V4, Credo/Accupoint, are the front runners. I wanted to pony up and spend the extra coin on a NXS 2x10 compact but they are 8 month backordered from NF and I don't feel like paying the same if not more for a used one when I can get a new one.

BjornF16

WKR
Personally, I would hold off on the Conquest pending Form's "Field Evaluation".

If you want an NXS 2.5-10, you could call Doug at CameraLandNY and get good pricing...it won't be as good as Mil discount from NF but you won't have to wait 10 months either.

I wouldn't hesitate to get any Trijicon. I'm liking my 2-10x36 Credo more and more after each range session. Nothing wrong with the 2.5-15x42 either (other than SFP). BUT Trijicon marks that SFP reticle with scaling factor for a few magnification values.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Do you own a credo, how do you like the reticle and does the full illumination bother you at all or the single red dot instead of intersecting lines?

SDHNTR

WKR
I do not own one, but a buddy does. It has the center of the crosshair that lights up. I prefer these types of illuminated reticles versus the ones where the whole thing lights up. IMO, there is not a perfect Trijicon reticle offering, they are all a compromise so you just have to pick the one that works for your uses.

OP
Quadzilla32

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I do not own one, but a buddy does. It has the center of the crosshair that lights up. I prefer these types of illuminated reticles versus the ones where the whole thing lights up. IMO, there is not a perfect Trijicon reticle offering, they are all a compromise so you just have to pick the one that works for your uses.
Ya I'm starting to realize that not one reticle is perfectly what I want. .

SDHNTR

WKR
Ya I'm starting to realize that not one reticle is perfectly what I want. .
Personally, I like a clean vertical wire to dial, and wind holds on the horizontal. It baffles me that more manufacturers don't offer such a reticle. Seems it should be standard for every line these days with as popular as dialing for elevation has become and with most hunters preferring to hold for wind. Yet I'm only aware of three such reticles (Swaro 4w, Leupold Windplex, and Huskemaw).