New to hunting turkey in Colorado

34KING18

FNG
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to turkey hunting in CO as I am stationed near Colorado Springs now. Last night I decided to go do some scouting in San Isabel National Forest. I looked at the CPW website and the most reported kills were in Las Animas county. I've been doing lots of research online but I know looking at a computer screen will only get you so far.I decided to get up around 3 to make the 3 hour drive only to find out that what onx said was public was really private so I ended up going a little bit more north on Highway 12 to some parking areas and hiking in and seeing what I could find (I can send you the coordinates of where exactly I thought the turkeys would have been). I had a crow call as a locator call and a box call. Did not hear a single thing all day except for a goose that would honk when I blew the crow call. The area seemed to be very good with tall trees and open areas in between that I was sure would hold turkeys (obviously I was wrong). I'm really just asking for your help to maybe find a public land unit that would possibly hold some turkeys. I'm thinking maybe Pike National Forest or the Rampart range but I've heard mixed reviews. The season opens next Saturday and I would like to try this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I was also looking at the Spanish Peaks Wilderness area as I just found a map that shows where ponderosa pines are and where I was today does not hold green

Anyone have any input on this area? Thanks again

I went scouting yesterday too. I was a little late and missed them on the roost but it was silence all day. I did find one flock of hens with a single tom. The hens were chatty but he would not gobble. It might be another week or two before they're real fired up in the mountains.

Mountain birds tend to be localized and nomadic. You're either on them or you're not. Typically, they'll remain in a general area but often they're not as easily patterned as plains or farmland turkeys. Scout for sign and find good listening spots where you can pinpoint the roost.

I hunted 3-4 days a week for six weeks straight to get my first mountain turkey.

They'll gobble once and never respond again. They'll hammer every time you call and never come the last bit of distance. They'll shut up when you get close. Or you might wack one crossing the trail in front of you. It's a trick to kill one but very rewarding when it works out.

vanish

WKR
The mountain birds are extremely localized, and they migrate. You can be in a great area for them and never find them.

My first year I hunted 4 weekends and never heard/saw a bird. The next year, same general area, I hit a different drainage and got into birds constantly, eventually getting my first Merriams. The next year, I was able to tag out opening morning.

Just keep scouting, you're on the right track. Colorado OTC birds are difficult enough to find ( and pretty easy to kill once you do ) that you probably won't get any more specific info.

hobbes

WKR
CO mountain birds require covering some ground. A one day scouting trip could result in finding birds, but just as likely not. It's still early and they probably aren't gobbling up into the day much yet. Your best chance to hear them is from a high point and early morning while they are still on the roost.

As stated, mountain birds are extremely nomadic, but they do have preferred areas.

The Spanish Peaks WMA has birds. I've hunted with a ranching for wildlife tag holder in the region. There's no way that the birds are limited to private land.

As far as calling to them goes.....Merriam's have no problems gobbling at calls. I rarely had trouble getting them to respond in CO if I found them. In fact, they are quite the blabbermouths. They are no harder to call in than any other tutkey. As a general rule, and I've found this to be true, they are easier to call in than their Eastern cousins. However, any tom with a pile of hens can be tough. The toughest thing about them is finding them in the terrain that they call home.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ll be in Colorado turkey hunting the first week in May. How’s the gobbling normally that time of year?

OP

34KING18

FNG
Any specific spots in San Isabel wilderness area or Pike national that you would reccomend checking out? Obviously I understand not giving your good spot.

Also, what would recommend looking for habitat wise when scounting?

hobbes

WKR
Any specific spots in San Isabel wilderness area or Pike national that you would reccomend checking out? Obviously I understand not giving your good spot.

Also, what would recommend looking for habitat wise when scounting?

I didn't normally hunt that far south and east. I hunted east side of the Sangre's along with plenty of other folks. Call the local biologist and they'll have relevant info. I had always planned to hunt the Spanish Peaks area, but moved from CO to MT before I had the chance.

I hunted a mix of cover, but it was typically mature and relatively open timber on north faces with more open juniper type country on south faces. As a general rule, the birds roosted in mature timber and spent the day feeding and strutting in the other.

Foldem

WKR
I skipped Saturday, but was able to find a lone jake mid morning on Sunday between wind gusts. Came right in. He was the only bird seen or heard. My buddy and I covered alot of miles. We saw his tracks from the day before but no other birds.

Sorry about the weird nose strip, I wear them to help with snoring and never took it off that morning.

Attachments

• file1-7.jpeg
    file1-7.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 87
  • file2-7.jpeg
    file2-7.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 93
  • file3-4.jpeg
    file3-4.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 86
  • file-11.jpeg
    file-11.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 75

Foldem

WKR
34King it takes lots of miles and scouting. Not many easy mountain merriams in Colorado until you find where they want to be consistently. Once you find those spots keep them secret. The spots my buddies and I have found have developed over the past 20 years of hitting the hills hard.

am10nxw

FNG
I went my first time on Sunday. I forgot my binoculars so I just hiked a few miles looking for tracks. I saw a lot of lion tracks but no turkey. I wasn't sure if turkey would come to calls in the snow. I'm glad to see they will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago while scouting for elk. I saw a bunch of birds in a recent burned area. Saw them in it for multiple days. Might help might not.
Easterns love burns too.

I've hunted the last three days (two afternoons and one day from dawn until 3:00). The birds I've seen have been pretty bunched up yet. I botched a stalk on Sunday, got close but couldn't pick out the Tom through a little brush. I've probably hiked about 10 miles and have only heard one gobble but I did cut a lion track in the snow so that was cool. It can only get better...