New to idaho and archery

So I am new to Idaho and hunting in general. This year decided to try out archery in the bear River zone. I'm not looking for a trophy just an elk to put in the freezer. I've been out scouting a couple of times and turned up deer and moose but no elk. Anyone have any ideas on what to try in the region?

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull in that zone a couple years ago but it was tough. 90% of the elk we saw were on private. If you can find some country above alfalfa fields you should find some elk.

OP
M
That's what I've been thinking. I've found good looking territory but I think I'm in the mountains too deep.

Start at the private property border and work your way back from there. If they are truly using the private AND bedding on public they won’t be miles away.

OP
M
Thank you, I've been out driving the depths of the Wasatch's and hiking around places that looked good. I didn't think until recently that I might be looking "too hard". I've seen on Onx there are several good looking blm sections that butt up to the private. I'll go take a look at them and see what they turn up.

OP
M
Start at the private property border and work your way back from there. If they are truly using the private AND bedding on public they won’t be miles away.
Thank you, I've been out driving the depths of the Wasatch's and hiking around places that looked good. I didn't think until recently that I might be looking "too hard". I've seen on Onx there are several good looking blm sections that butt up to the private. I'll go take a look at them and see what they turn up.

Paul83687

FNG
I am new to Idaho, not so new to hunting. I drove around my zones a lot this past weekend looking for the road less travelled and then walked/hiked/stalked (whatever you like to call walking around the woods and not finding anything) quite a bit. I saw a muley doe and a whitetail doe, one spot had a scrap but could have been from a buck rather than a bull. Still searching.....

I am new to Idaho, not so new to hunting. I drove around my zones a lot this past weekend looking for the road less travelled and then walked/hiked/stalked (whatever you like to call walking around the woods and not finding anything) quite a bit. I saw a muley doe and a whitetail doe, one spot had a scrap but could have been from a buck rather than a bull. Still searching.....
Any luck with this unit this past year? I drew this tag for the 2023 season. Hoping if you can get ofthe roads you can get into elk.

Any luck with this unit this past year? I drew this tag for the 2023 season. Hoping if you can get of the roads you can get into elk.