New to Idaho looking for Muleys

ZAdams 1

FNG
Im from Colorado originally have lived and hunted in New Mexico the last couple of years. Any tips on tactics for Idaho Mule deer? Looking up high like CO? Any OTC units that are worth while? Concurrent units for elk? I prefer to get away from roads and dont mind going deep.

Any tips or tactics appreciated.

Thanks,
-Zach

brn2hnt

WKR
What part of Idaho do you live in? That’s gonna be a big factor in determining where you should focus your general season units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ZAdams 1

ZAdams 1

FNG
What part of Idaho do you live in? That’s gonna be a big factor in determining where you should focus your general season units.

Boise, I would prefer to be within a couple hours drive in order to hunt weekends

brn2hnt

WKR
You have gohunt? Their strategy article outlines the best counties for B&C bucks since 2010. The clusters around Boise are pretty obvious.

I’m just down the road in Nampa, after all this virus mess we can get a drink and chat if you’d like.

OP
ZAdams 1

ZAdams 1

FNG
You have gohunt? Their strategy article outlines the best counties for B&C bucks since 2010. The clusters around Boise are pretty obvious.

I’m just down the road in Nampa, after all this virus mess we can get a drink and chat if you’d like.

I do have GoHunt ill look for the article.

I never mind talking hunting over a few beers I'd be in.

Boise, I would prefer to be within a couple hours drive in order to hunt weekends

You and the other 1 million people around Boise...something to consider. A whole different experience a little further down the road. Early season archery deer hunting in Idaho isn’t that popular compared to other states (hint).

brn2hnt

WKR
You and the other 1 million people around Boise...something to consider. A whole different experience a little further down the road. Early season archery deer hunting in Idaho isn’t that popular compared to other states (hint).

Pshh this is blowing it way out of proportion Treasure Valley only has like 800K people, not a million

Hoping to revive a thread with my first post. OP was asking about units for hunting elk and mule deer concurrently. I'm planning on going on my first archery hunt in Southeast Idaho with a friend who has an elk tag. We're from Mississippi and have never been out west for any type of hunting. I was going to purchase a mule deer tag or just not pack a weapon and tag along. I know the odds are low, but is it a total waste for me to even purchase a general deer tag? I've read that the deer are up really high in September. Thanks for any input. Needless to say, we're a little overwhelmed with the planning.

General question gets general and less helpful answers. What exactly are you asking? SE Idaho is really hurt on deer numbers right now from winter kill. You can read about this on the IDFG website. You'll wish you had a tag though if you see one!

I think I've read every word on their website. I guess I'm a bit untrusting after reading from several sources. I have a subscription to go hunt as well. After re-reading my post, I see it's a bit wordy. My question is should I buy a deer tag and pack a weapon on the off chance we see a deer while we're elk hunting? Or is it more likely to be a waste of money based on where the deer are "supposed" to be (high) in September? Thanks again.

id_jon

WKR
I don't know about SE Idaho, but where i hunt in central ID, there's only about an 800' difference between where the elk are and where the deer are in September, and they overlap on the saddles. I would definitely bring a tag and a weapon. I know a couple guys that ended up killing both their elk on what were supposed to be deer hunts last September.

npm352

WKR
Hoping to revive a thread with my first post. OP was asking about units for hunting elk and mule deer concurrently. I'm planning on going on my first archery hunt in Southeast Idaho with a friend who has an elk tag. We're from Mississippi and have never been out west for any type of hunting. I was going to purchase a mule deer tag or just not pack a weapon and tag along. I know the odds are low, but is it a total waste for me to even purchase a general deer tag? I've read that the deer are up really high in September. Thanks for any input. Needless to say, we're a little overwhelmed with the planning.
Hi and welcome. If you are willing to just shoot any deer, I'd bring a bow as in a week of hunting you will likely get a chance. If you are looking for a big buck and are not concentrating on hunting specifically for one, I'd pass.

I like general archery when I am in a "shoot anything" type of mood. Check regs as not all SE Idaho units allow archery doe kill.