New to Kifaru

lmeyer

WKR
I just picked up a 26" hunter duplex frame and this is my first taste of the addiction I see so many of y'all have. Looking for suggestions for triming it out on a light budget. I was thinking of a nomad gen 1/ camp bag combo or maybe a dt1 or dt2 as I have seen them go on here for reasonable prices. Will those fit the hunter frame? Alternativly I have a 55 l dry bag that I was thinking I could just use with quarter panel or something similar, but that seems like it lacks the ability to attach pockets, which I would want to do. Is there an older discontinued model of something similar to the quarter panel that has attachment points for pockets?

bsnedeker

WKR
Buy a used Argali if you can find one. It's simple, you can attach pouches, and they are relatively inexpensive if/when one becomes available. I've done the dry-bag thing, it's a pain in the butt.

To answer your other question, I don't believe there is a bag made by Kifaru that doesn't fit onto the duplex hunter frame...they are all backwards and forwards compatible.

The DT1 is arguably the best “one and done” bag layout Kifaru has ever produced. (Hence the reason it’s not produced any more because you wouldn’t need to buy a new bag every year).

The AMR has been great for me for years because I’m not really a spotting scope or tripod carrying guy most of the time. It’s a simple bag that has two fixed pockets on the back. It cinches flat for day hunting or smaller loads and opens up to a huge 7800 ci to carry anything you want. Simple and functional.

They're the only two bags that never leave my cache.

I have heard there might be a Argali like bag coming back. I folded and bought a muskeg because of the zipper access. Hope I made the right choice

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
My pack arrives tomorrow so I am not an expert, but from my friends that already have afew bags they said you could buy a used Stryker or the new Stryker XL to have the slim line day pack with ability to add pockets. And then use the expandable cargo panel of that bag to hold your dry bag for multi day use/more gear as needed

The DT1 is arguably the best “one and done” bag layout Kifaru has ever produced. (Hence the reason it’s not produced any more because you wouldn’t need to buy a new bag every year).

The AMR has been great for me for years because I’m not really a spotting scope or tripod carrying guy most of the time. It’s a simple bag that has two fixed pockets on the back. It cinches flat for day hunting or smaller loads and opens up to a huge 7800 ci to carry anything you want. Simple and functional.

They're the only two bags that never leave my cache.
There’s another. The Hoodlum ;) I love my DT1 too 🤙🏻

Last edited:
Not to hijack but if someone is wanting to get started in Kifaru world, why is the best frame to get? There seems to be so many options that I get confused.

pansch220

FNG
I’ve seen Stryker for sale all over. Would be a solid bag that you could attach pockets to and use your dry bag for multi day hunts. That’s the setup I’m going to give a try this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
I’ve seen Stryker for sale all over. Would be a solid bag that you could attach pockets to and use your dry bag for multi day hunts. That’s the setup I’m going to give a try this year.

I'm a step ahead of you. Already picked one up as well as small and medium pouch, spotting scope pocket and water bottle holder. I've borrowed a dt 2 from another roksliders to give a test drive. Really starting to submit to the addiction

pansch220

FNG
I'm a step ahead of you. Already picked one up as well as small and medium pouch, spotting scope pocket and water bottle holder. I've borrowed a dt 2 from another roksliders to give a test drive. Really starting to submit to the addiction

That’s all it takes is that first purchase..... but you can’t beat the quality IMO. Welcome to the obsession.

rbljack

WKR
When the hoodlem came out, I seemed to notice a lot of Reckoning bags going up on the classifieds. I looked long and hard before deciding on a "one and done" kifaru pack....and for me it was the reckoning (no regrets) . That full length center zip is so handy! Allows me to get stuff out of the bottom of the bag without having to unstrap everything. Lots of options with that bag. Compacts down nicely for day hunts, and can easily handle 3-4 day backpack trips. As time goes on...you can keep an eye out for used accessories and add a guide lid for more space, belt pockets, water bottle holder....etc. The sky is the limit really. A lot of their bags will fit on the frame. There are plenty of youtube videos showing alll the different bag layouts and options. good luck in your decision. Another cheaper option right now as mentioned above....are the used strykers. KIfaru came out with an XL version of that bag, so a lot of people are moving up to the larger size and selling the original.

So you guys are saying that all of Kifarus bags will work on my gen 1 duplex frame that is still rocking the Longhunter with fleece panels ?

Not to hijack but if someone is wanting to get started in Kifaru world, why is the best frame to get? There seems to be so many options that I get confused.
It seems like a lot of people over analyze this. I know I did. For the heaviest, or most awkward shaped loads, tactical frame.
For elk quarters or deer and basic backpacking, duplex light. If you are a weight weenie, and a few extra lashing points are going to bog down your legs, duplex ultralight.
The tactical won’t let your back breathe as well as the other two, so if you only hunt places like Arizona or plan on lots of summer over nighters, it might be a good choice.

Great choice, Kifaru is awesome! I have both the gen 1 duplex and new tactical frame. I like the gen 1 duplex better so far with the EMR 1. I'm 6'1, 220lb, and can't pack lightly 🤪

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So you guys are saying that all of Kifarus bags will work on my gen 1 duplex frame that is still rocking the Longhunter with fleece panels ?
That is correct. Maybe missing some of the features the new frames come with but it will attach to the frame.

Thanks for confirming that. I have used my pack a fair bit in the last 15 years or so, the one thing I would like would be side pockets. Maybe time to look for a Rekoning bag.